New Hardcover Evolution Book Based Upon Junior Skeptic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2011, 06:21 AM
New Hardcover Evolution Book Based Upon Junior Skeptic
Borrowed from Skeptic Forum:

Daniel Loxton Wrote:The Skeptics Society is proud to reveal the first full-color, hardcover, illustrated English-language book based upon Junior Skeptic.

Published by Kids Can Press (February, 2010), Evolution: How We and All Living Things Came to Be is a straight-ahead introduction to the fact of evolution, to its mechanisms, and to the misunderstandings that surround it. The book aims to explain how evolution works — and how we know for a fact that it happens. It is suitable for readers aged 8–13.

Initial Reviews:

Quote:The best damn evolution book for kids, period.
— Michael Shermer
(Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design)

Quote:A wonderfully clear, up-to-date, and well-illustrated account of how evolution works. The scientific content is first-rate.
— Donald Prothero
(Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters)

Quote:A full-throated defense and explication of Darwin’s theory…kept light and accessible by Loxton’s sense of humour and breezy prose style.
— Quill & Quire
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
RE: New Hardcover Evolution Book Based Upon Junior Skeptic
Animavore Wrote:This book won a few awards and had to be published in Canada due to the fact that he couldn't get it published in America as American publishers thought it was too controversial.
http://news.discovery.com/human/evolutio...10916.html
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I live in Canada and would love to actually see the book on store shelves but find it unlikely to be seen unless special ordered.
I had an argument with local bookstore managers due to the hidden placement of such bestsellers as "God No!" "The God Delusion" "The Greatest Show On Earth" as well as anything by Sam Harris or Hitchens. All hidden in odd places within the store. They web had a place for the current NY times bestsellers list and had no spot for the number one by Penn jillette. Yet the place was littered with bibles and books about showing religion and god Ina positive light. The science section only had one book about evolution and it's the one that belongs in public domain written by Darwin.
The kids section had no real books about science but tons of Berenstein bears. Ugh. I want to get this book as well as the book by Dawkins even though I'm not his biggest fan, soley because l have a daughter who I'd like to learn the truth.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
(02-10-2011 10:31 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I live in Canada and would love to actually see the book on store shelves but find it unlikely to be seen unless special ordered.
I had an argument with local bookstore managers due to the hidden placement of such bestsellers as "God No!" "The God Delusion" "The Greatest Show On Earth" as well as anything by Sam Harris or Hitchens. All hidden in odd places within the store. They web had a place for the current NY times bestsellers list and had no spot for the number one by Penn jillette. Yet the place was littered with bibles and books about showing religion and god Ina positive light. The science section only had one book about evolution and it's the one that belongs in public domain written by Darwin.
The kids section had no real books about science but tons of Berenstein bears. Ugh. I want to get this book as well as the book by Dawkins even though I'm not his biggest fan, soley because l have a daughter who I'd like to learn the truth.
Write them up on Jenny's List.
02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
The last time I went to the bookstore to buy a science book (when I picked up a new copy of The Greatest Show on Earth) it was right in the science section, among an entire shelf devoted solely to evolution. I was actually thrilled to see such a big section, especially since so many religous claim that evolution isn't even science.

(I am also in Canada)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm jealous Stark, like you don't even know. I live in the bible belt of BC, where each town has more churches than Mcdonalds even. I am currently wearing my sad face. It looks something like this Sad

Also what is Jenny's list? I typed in jennyslist.com but got nothing. Is this some form of ratings system? If so that's awesome.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
(02-10-2011 12:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I'm jealous Stark, like you don't even know. I live in the bible belt of BC, where each town has more churches than Mcdonalds even. I am currently wearing my sad face. It looks something like this Sad

Also what is Jenny's list? I typed in jennyslist.com but got nothing. Is this some form of ratings system? If so that's awesome.

My bad, I got the names hammered. Angie's List
02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Ahhh I see. The website seems geared towards American reviews. It doesn't accept postal codes only codes of the zip variety. I'll just burn the bookstore down instead Smile
[Image: 41790_2200730798_3272_n.jpg]
On second thought maybe I'll leave the book burning to the religious. They are so damned good at it.

02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
(02-10-2011 01:14 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Ahhh I see. The website seems geared towards American reviews. It doesn't accept postal codes only codes of the zip variety. I'll just burn the bookstore down instead Smile
[Image: 41790_2200730798_3272_n.jpg]
On second thought maybe I'll leave the book burning to the religious. They are so damned good at it.

Use "63069" if you want, nobody will object.