New Harris poll shows Americans are losing their faith ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Smile New Harris poll shows Americans are losing their faith ...
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-harri...ca-2013-12
Tons of fun facts about what people believe. Sorta scary actually.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-12-2013, 11:06 PM
RE: New Harris poll shows Americans are losing their faith ...
(18-12-2013 10:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.businessinsider.com/new-harri...ca-2013-12

It doesn't matter if people believe in God. It doesn't matter if people believe in evolution. People believe in lots of different things at different times. Interestingly, in that article, there's been an increase in the belief in astrology since a previous year's decline. More people believe in ghosts, and more people believe in reincarnation.

A lot of people are spiritual. Not everyone is religious. Religion is primative spirituality. Atheism is a reaction against religion--nothing more.

I'd like to see a poll that asks if people believe in a "higher power." I'd like to see a poll that asks people who are not religious if they consider themselves "spiritual."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2013, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 12:34 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-12-2013 11:06 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 10:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.businessinsider.com/new-harri...ca-2013-12

It doesn't matter if people believe in God. It doesn't matter if people believe in evolution. People believe in lots of different things at different times. Interestingly, in that article, there's been an increase in the belief in astrology since a previous year's decline. More people believe in ghosts, and more people believe in reincarnation.

A lot of people are spiritual. Not everyone is religious. Religion is primative spirituality. Atheism is a reaction against religion--nothing more.

I'd like to see a poll that asks if people believe in a "higher power." I'd like to see a poll that asks people who are not religious if they consider themselves "spiritual."

Yes dear. Whatever you say.

(Of course proof by assertion is utterly worthless.)
Astrology and psychic shit has been debunked so many times it's not even worth discussing. "Psychic seminary" in-fucking-deed. LMFAO.
So I suppose you, who has been into your new woo-woo for a year is now TEACHING woo. Are you accredited or certified in woo ?
Sign me up for a major in alchemy. K ?

More interesting stuff, religion demographics.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govb...in-6-maps/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-12-2013, 12:22 AM
(18-12-2013 11:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:06 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It doesn't matter if people believe in God. It doesn't matter if people believe in evolution. People believe in lots of different things at different times. Interestingly, in that article, there's been an increase in the belief in astrology since a previous year's decline. More people believe in ghosts, and more people believe in reincarnation.

Yes dear. Whatever you say.

Astrology and psychic shit has been debunked so many times it's not even worth discussing. "Psychic seminary" in-fucking-deed. LMFAO.
So I suppose you, who has been into your new woo-woo for a year is now TEACHING woo. Are you accredited or certified in woo ?

More interesting stuff.

[Image: tumblr_lptzmdh3nA1r1q4hxo1_500.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-12-2013, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 01:07 AM by Vosur.)
One of the first things I learned in my sociology classes was how to avoid receiving biased answers from your interviewee.

I have a deep-rooted dislike for social scientists who don't disclose what methodology was used during their opinion research; fortunately, these guys did.

As far as I can tell, the researches behind this poll did it correctly because they managed to avoid one of the most skewing forms of bias (social desirability bias) by using computers rather than interviewers to ask the questions.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
19-12-2013, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 01:37 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Actually the poll also suggests that slightly more people believe in UFO's and reincarnation than before.

26% believe in witches Thumbsup go USA!

I hope we're not just rearranging the deck chairs.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-12-2013, 01:25 AM
(19-12-2013 01:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually the Sam Harris poll also suggests that slightly more people believe in UFO's and reincarnation than before.
Sam Harris Poll? [Image: 3xNuwIr.gif]

In case you didn't do that intentionally, the poll is called "Harris poll" because it was released by the research institute Harris.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-12-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 01:36 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(19-12-2013 01:25 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 01:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually the Sam Harris poll also suggests that slightly more people believe in UFO's and reincarnation than before.
Sam Harris Poll? [Image: 3xNuwIr.gif]

In case you didn't do that intentionally, the poll is called "Harris poll" because it was released by the research institute Harris.

My phone hates me. I started tapping one thing and it changed it....Then I got distracted and left out words. FML
Weeping I need sleep.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-12-2013, 03:49 AM
(19-12-2013 12:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes dear. Whatever you say.

More interesting stuff.

[Image: tumblr_lptzmdh3nA1r1q4hxo1_500.jpg]

Ummmm...actually alchemy is real. They do it in the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, and other partial accelerators, in nuclear bombs and nuclear reactors. ...so, yeah, alchemy is totally real....

19-12-2013, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 05:29 AM by IndianAtheist.)
"only 74% of Americans believe in God" ONLY ??? like...70% is a lot.

"Only 1% of U.S. adults believe God is a woman" HA HA HA lol i'd like the meet that 1%.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence