New Harris poll shows Americans are losing their faith ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2013, 08:21 AM
RE: New Harris poll shows Americans are losing their faith ...
(18-12-2013 11:06 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It doesn't matter if people believe in God. It doesn't matter if people believe in evolution. People believe in lots of different things at different times. Interestingly, in that article, there's been an increase in the belief in astrology since a previous year's decline. More people believe in ghosts, and more people believe in reincarnation.

What matters is there will be fewer people who would advocate a theocratic or otherwise dominionist world view through legislation.

I mean, I can't stop any random person from hating gay people, and if they keep it to themselves, I don't even really care. What I do care about is when these people go to the polls to vote for policies that would strip rights away from gay people because they think it's what YHWH wants.

(19-12-2013 01:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  One of the first things I learned in my sociology classes was how to avoid receiving biased answers from your interviewee.

I have a deep-rooted dislike for social scientists who don't disclose what methodology was used during their opinion research; fortunately, these guys did.

As far as I can tell, the researches behind this poll did it correctly because they managed to avoid one of the most skewing forms of bias (social desirability bias) by using computers rather than interviewers to ask the questions.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting that. I was going to ask what would make a computer more reliable than a person.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2013, 09:01 AM
(18-12-2013 11:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Astrology and psychic shit has been debunked so many times it's not even worth discussing.

So has atheism. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2013, 09:13 AM
What stood out to me is how close the polls were between the acknowlegement of Darwin's Theory of Evolution, and a virgin birth. Overall though, homosapiens have a long way to go with regard to "woo woo".

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
19-12-2013, 09:14 AM
(19-12-2013 08:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What matters is there will be fewer people who would advocate a theocratic or otherwise dominionist world view through legislation.

You mean like North Korea?

Quote:I mean, I can't stop any random person from hating gay people, and if they keep it to themselves, I don't even really care. What I do care about is when these people go to the polls to vote for policies that would strip rights away from gay people because they think it's what YHWH wants.

Well, that's democracy for you. I realize you would like to program people to vote your way...so, I suggest you quit making enemies of the people you want sympathy from. Instead of spitting on the religious, I suggest you try to get them to feel sorry for you.

I mean, you don't really think atheism is going to become the norm in human consciousness do you? Do you really hold out that hope?

As the Church declines in societal influence, which it is, spiritualism will rise. That's exactly what happened in the Soviet Union. That's exactly what this poll is showing. It is simply not normal human psychology to be utterly spirit-less.

North Korea's different: But by the standard of the world, they are utterly insane. They are only atheistic because they want 0 challenge to the government. I think even most atheists are afraid of that.
19-12-2013, 09:19 AM
(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  You mean like North Korea?
No, like Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Denmark or the Netherlands. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
19-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I was gonna commwnt, but then Gordie did and now I'm thinking it doesn't really matter. No

Ah, who am kidding?? Big Grin

Gotta say, didn't expect to see that more men than women believe god is a lady. Perchance they want to have sex with it... That's Dreher's slot right there...

I'm so sorry... Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
19-12-2013, 10:03 AM
What I like is that the young believe less. That is what is the future. Yeah!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-12-2013, 10:04 AM
(19-12-2013 09:01 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Astrology and psychic shit has been debunked so many times it's not even worth discussing.

So has atheism. Drinking Beverage

No, it hasn't. There is nothing to debunk as there is no claim.

You really are a fool, Eddie.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-12-2013, 10:41 AM
(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 08:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What matters is there will be fewer people who would advocate a theocratic or otherwise dominionist world view through legislation.

You mean like North Korea?

You didn't learn enough math in school to cover set theory, did you?

(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Well, that's democracy for you. I realize you would like to program people to vote your way...

Please point to where I said that. Or stop making shit up to bolster your point. Either would be good.

(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I mean, you don't really think atheism is going to become the norm in human consciousness do you? Do you really hold out that hope?

Again, point to where I said that. I said that fewer people would be letting their theocratic stuff show through at the polls. I know plenty of Christians who don't feel they have the right to force their views on others.

So, either you're a dominionist, or you're not very good at logically parsing what other people say if they don't agree with you. If it's the latter, keep trying! You'll get better!

(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  As the Church declines in societal influence, which it is, spiritualism will rise. That's exactly what happened in the Soviet Union. That's exactly what this poll is showing. It is simply not normal human psychology to be utterly spirit-less.

That's why one of the poll stats was that people who are not in any way religious doubled?

(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  North Korea's different: But by the standard of the world, they are utterly insane. They are only atheistic because they want 0 challenge to the government. I think even most atheists are afraid of that.

Wait: So, you know it's a bad example, but you used it anyway? What the fuck?
19-12-2013, 11:29 AM
(19-12-2013 09:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 09:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  You mean like North Korea?
No, like Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Denmark or the Netherlands. Drinking Beverage

That's only a sample size, Ed. Just wanted that to be clear. There a plenty of more examples.