New Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2013, 06:37 PM
New Here
Hello

I suppose this is where I introduce myself, as you may be able to tell by my screen name I am an atheist in West Virginia. I am a recent convert to atheism (is convert the right word?), growing up my parents were not overly religious, during the 1980's my famiily fell on hard times and my parents went to the church and asked for help to feed their kids (my brother, sister and myself), the church flatly refused stating they were needing the money to get the parking lot paved, this caused my parents to leave the church.

Although my parents weren't religious they were still very Christian, we prayed before every meal, and the three of us were taught the basics of the Bible. When I was 17, I went to a revival with a friend at a fire and brimstone Southern Baptist Church, needless to say I had the hell scared into me, I say it was scared into me because I never had the fear of hell before to have it scared out of me. I became one of the born again, baptized in the New River on a warm day in June and for the next several years, I was indoctrinated every sunday morning about the "good news".

Although I was "saved" and "washed in the blood", I always had doubts and voiced concerns. In typical fashion, I was assured by church leaders that these were manifestations of Satan trying to wrestle my soul from the Lord and if I continued to question God's holy word, I would go straight to hell, or some other threat, usually all of them wound up with me in hell.

As years passed I stopped attending church and became a non practicing Christian, then I became a skeptical Christian, I started to doubt the Bible's validity but I still retained my faith in God, finally I became a deist, this lasted me for about five years until I realized, the only reason I was a deist is because I was afraid to give up god, it was a bit of irrational fear that I struggled with. Finally just a few months ago I confessed to my wife, I do not believe in god anymore, I am strong enough not to need him, her or it. I found out after talking to her she too was having her doubts and was too scared to be an atheist alone.

For months both of us have been devouring You Tube and the internet reading any and all information on atheism which lead me here. Unfortunately we have to remain closet atheists, my parents who have gotten more religious over the years, and her dad and stepmom wouldn't understand. We would be harassed non-stop with our families trying to save our souls and whatnot.

Thats pretty much a quick summary of who I am and where I stand today.

Thanks for listening (or reading rather)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: New Here
welcome! I love WV! Been driving thru there for the past 15 years (NC-PA). Lots of fun times from Morgantown to Snowshoe to Winterplace and many spots in between.

Happy to hear you and your wife are on the same page.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
22-05-2013, 07:37 PM
HI Smile You'll fit right in here Tongue
I, too, am happy to hear your wife is on the same page with you! Together you can fight off these useless theists Thumbsup

22-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the forum, hopefully both of you will participate here.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
22-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the real world!

Oh and, one doesn't convert to atheism. It is the default position, so all that's needed is to cast magic aside and you're right back where you started.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I liked your story.
25-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome, Wild and Wonderful. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Welcome!
27-05-2013, 11:21 AM
(22-05-2013 06:37 PM)WVAtheist Wrote:  I became one of the born again, baptized in the New River on a warm day in June ...

If you're gonna get baptized, the New River's the place to do it! And it's one of the few rivers that run south to north, gotta be something sacred about that. Big Grin

Welcome O's fan!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
27-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome!

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF