New Infatuation w/ Ghost Peppers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 03:48 PM
New Infatuation w/ Ghost Peppers
Ghost peppers are my new best friend. Smile Super-hot and very tasty. Makes jalapenos and Serranos look like cucumbers.

I've had 3 jars of ghost pepper salsa, and *finally* there's something that is hot enough to give me pause, and also flavorful enough to make me want more.

From the salsa, I moved on to a ghost pepper curry sauce I found at the local co-op. It's maybe not quite as hot as the salsa, but it has a marvelous rich, smokey flavor that makes any meat/veggie combo into excellent curry.

I'm going to get a plant next spring, so I can try making pickles with a fresh one, and my own salsa, and chili con carne, and pepper-coated bacon strips, and who knows what else. nummynummynummy

Anyone else tried these little lovelies?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like I Am's post
24-09-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: New Infatuation w/ Ghost Peppers
(24-09-2013 03:48 PM)I Am Wrote:  Ghost peppers are my new best friend. Smile Super-hot and very tasty. Makes jalapenos and Serranos look like cucumbers.

I've had 3 jars of ghost pepper salsa, and *finally* there's something that is hot enough to give me pause, and also flavorful enough to make me want more.

From the salsa, I moved on to a ghost pepper curry sauce I found at the local co-op. It's maybe not quite as hot as the salsa, but it has a marvelous rich, smokey flavor that makes any meat/veggie combo into excellent curry.

I'm going to get a plant next spring, so I can try making pickles with a fresh one, and my own salsa, and chili con carne, and pepper-coated bacon strips, and who knows what else. nummynummynummy

Anyone else tried these little lovelies?

I've only had them a couple of times; mostly I'm a habanero guy.

A friend as grown some and I've had his home-made salsa. Very nice. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-09-2013, 04:21 PM
(24-09-2013 03:48 PM)I Am Wrote:  Ghost peppers are my new best friend. Smile ... Anyone else tried these little lovelies?

Forum member and KingsChosen's friend germanyt has. It did not go well. Big Grin

(24-09-2013 04:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've only had them a couple of times; mostly I'm a habanero guy.

I also like the flavor of habanero and the "milder" Scotch Bonnet better myself.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I found the ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) a pain to grow, and far too hot for anything other than a novelty for me. The heat level is so high I could never make something with it that was mild enough yet had any flavor from the pepper. I wish I could take more heat (I am a foody, and love flavour), but I just can't.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
24-09-2013, 04:30 PM
(24-09-2013 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 03:48 PM)I Am Wrote:  Ghost peppers are my new best friend. Smile ... Anyone else tried these little lovelies?

Forum member and KingsChosen's friend germanyt has. It did not go well. Big Grin

(24-09-2013 04:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I've only had them a couple of times; mostly I'm a habanero guy.

I also like the flavor of habanero and the "milder" Scotch Bonnet better myself.

Oh, yeah. Scotch Bonnets - they're scrumptious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2013, 04:44 PM
(24-09-2013 04:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I found the ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) a pain to grow, and far too hot for anything other than a novelty for me. The heat level is so high I could never make something with it that was mild enough yet had any flavor from the pepper. I wish I could take more heat (I am a foody, and love flavour), but I just can't.

I have the same issue with Ghost Peppers. Habaneros I can deal with (they have a great flavor) but anything hotter than that and I'm out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I am partial to Cayenne myself. Easy to grow, nice long curly red flames they look like. Yum.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-09-2013, 09:24 PM
(24-09-2013 05:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am partial to Cayenne myself. Easy to grow, nice long curly red flames they look like. Yum.

Cayenne is good flavor, but it no longer qualifies as "hot". Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-09-2013, 09:30 PM
(24-09-2013 09:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 05:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am partial to Cayenne myself. Easy to grow, nice long curly red flames they look like. Yum.

Cayenne is good flavor, but it no longer qualifies as "hot". Big Grin

[Image: tumblr_kys1cyEXd11qa0uujo1_1280.png?AWSA...Dts%3D#_=_]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-09-2013, 10:04 PM
(24-09-2013 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Habaneros are delicious. I have not tried the things labeled Scotch Bonnets at my local market, because they look the same as habaneros, and cost half again as much. Doesn't seem very Scotch to me. Tongue Are they very different?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?