New Job - All of My Family is Thanking God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 10:30 AM
New Job - All of My Family is Thanking God
Hi All,

I had to voice some frustration because I have no other outlet.

I am a closet agnostic atheist. I have just come to realize this over the past few months - while studying the Bible and hoping to get "closer to God" - Apparently this is fairly common! I was raised in a hardcore Pentecostal/Charismatic home and met my wife in our church youth group (we frequented the "Toronto Blessing" church) 15 years ago (married for 4). Since I started having doubts I have tried to share how I feel with my wife and it hasn't gone well. I don't want her to de-convert and I can't outright tell her that I don't believe it anymore, so I do my best to not talk about it and still go to church on Sundays with her because I know she values it (and play on my phone the whole time). We will worry about stuff with the kids when that time comes...

I work in the IT industry and my current position is the best job that I have ever had. I was honestly not looking to leave my current position but I was approached by a recruiter and offered a much better position: better pay, benefits, closer to home, etc. and I accepted it. I wasn't praying at all, I wasn't asking for help - I was simply selling myself and my expertise and I was awarded a position based on my hard work. Yet "thank you God" and "thank you Jesus" is being said by everyone. I am even getting texts from family thanking God and Jesus for what I have done.

I didn't want to be rude, but when my wife said "God is so good - this is a blessing" to me, I said "Well, they did contact me because of my resume and offer me the job because of my experience and how I interviewed. Let's not undersell my part in this". She said "but don't undersell God's part in this". It was frustrating. I just dropped it and didn't go any further. UGHHHHHH. This is annoying. Confused

I'm not looking for advice. Just wanted to vent. Thanks all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like zachzachzachzach's post
27-09-2013, 10:46 AM
RE: New Job - All of My Family is Thanking God
Lol, wait until the in-laws start colluding to baptize your kids.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2013, 10:55 AM
You worked hard, bettered yourself, and have not only been recognized for it you've given greater trust and responsibility because of it - that's not a small thing. And it was ALL YOU.

Congratulations! Thumbsup

Just tell your wife you've been an atheist for quite some time and let the pretense fall where it may. Or not. Either way, your choice will effect the way you are going to live your life... and if that life includes your wife well... pretense will fall, eventually. It's god's way inevitable.

Again - congratulation on the new position; the tough shit outweighs the bullshit you gotta go through to get to the best shit. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I understand your frustration. It is like them saying that your hard work, dedication, intelligence, and education was for naught, and praise must be made to a mythical man that provided you with a job. I have had several family members that say things kind of like that. I coach several sports and they have said "well thank god no one got hurt." I reply with, "no, thank the coaches for teaching the players the correct technique and form, and thank the athletes for proper training in order to reduce injury."

When I got a job they said "thank god ya got a job, lots of unemployed people around." My reply was, "no, it was actually my great resume and interview that landed me the job."

They are starting to get the hint.
27-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey Zach^4, (cubed)
My grandparents had a "storied" love affair, and LONG successful marriage. He was never a believer, she a very conservative Catholic. They loved each other deeply. They made it work. He kept his mouth shut, and didn't antagonize her, and she didn't constantly bug him. They respected each other. He understood it was not really what defined her. She was a very loving person, quite apart from the religious bs, (actually she was a bitch, but never to me Tongue ) He let her determine what the kids education was, knowing that their brains would eventually make their own decisions. The REALLY funny thing is the one of their kids, (my aunt), turned out to be a nun,...actually a rather famous nun/educator Catholic college president (not one of, but very similar to the "nuns on the bus"), and she wrote her own obituary, and in it said rather shocking things about the "cosmological conferences" she had been "sneaking" off to, for many years. Even she turned out to be more like gramps than her mother. Don't sweat the small stuff, is my advice. Religion IS the "small stuff". "Whatev's". The real question is, "Do you/can you REALLY respect her for what she is". Only you can answer that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post