New Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: New Life
(25-07-2014 06:20 PM)goatgod Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 08:20 PM)3is Wrote:  My story is probably not too different from anyone else who has left religion and became an athiest, but it's always good to be amongst and speak with like minded people or those who may be further on the same path that I am walking.

short version:

31, black man born in mississippi, whole family is christian, moved to memphis when I was around 15 or 16. I didn't begin to question religion until I went to college and realized that so many different ppl wouldn't go to hell because they were not a christian.

for many years I was just in flux that I didn't believe in religion but always kept christianity as a baseline of beliefs. I only recently admitted to myself this year that I did not believe that there was a god in the sky or devil in hell. it was tough to do but I realized that so many ppl die or starvation every day, most of them black like me in africa. which ironically is the most religious place on earth. so that did it for me, because they pray their hearts out and follow religious doctrines and get rewarded with disease, war, backwards civilization, money grubbing, exploitative religious leaders, and famine. that's not love or mercy. it's indifference.

my biggest question to deconverts is: how did you learn to cope with the emotional roller coaster that you tend to go on? Somedays I feel excited and free that I can build my life and do whatever I want to without worrying about what will happen in the next lifetime. Somedays I wonder is it foolish to be an athiest since some religious ppl seem so convinced. Somedays I feel embarrassed that I still have lingering thoughts about crazy superstitions and religious fear tactics that I was taught. What did you do to finally equalize your emotions?

Ok. So you're a black atheist. Welcome to earth my friend. There needs to be more of you.

In my research I've found that I know not one black man or woman who hasn't got the disease. And it compelled me to do a bit of looking in on the topic. I found a short documentary on YouTube (of course) called "non believers of color: atheists and skeptics in the black community" you should give it a view.

As a white man I see black people portrayed on television and in film as very religious people. But I've always found it strange that blacks would put their stamp of approval on a book that unapologetically supports slavery.

The film makes a point that has been bothering me since I viewed it; if there had been no trans-Atlantic slave trade, would black People still be Christians? I'd have to say no. Do starving people in dire need of agricultural reform need Jesus as well?

Does your family know? Do they support your views? Even when I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't believe, I never felt alone. I felt enlightened. And that grew as I became aware that I was far from alone.

I wish you well on your journey and hope to hear back from you.

long post warning.

Thank you for the warm welcome my friend. For the most part black people are extremely traditional in their view points (keep in mind that I have lived in the bible belt my entire life). Almost all of my black friends come from christian homes, with the exception of a few of them who are muslim, or five percenters. One of my ex girlfriends a long time ago was an atheist but I was so young then that I didn't care to really ask why or explore her thought process, I just wanted guaranteed relationship sex lol.

I always say that if more black people had alot of money the large majority of them would put conservatives on fox news to shame. I mean just strict, fanatical, fear based christianity. Any christian stereotype you can think of it probably applies to black people. You cannot challenge god or jesus under any circumstances with most black women. Especially those raised in the south. Now keep in mind, most of them do not live by biblical principles at all, but it's ok to go against every principle in the book because they are saved by a blood sacrifice. Then don't make the mistake of being gay, man they are going to instantly condemn that person to hell. Which to me is the reason why there are so many closeted gays in the black community living secret double lives. They are afraid of being disowned by the church and their families.

When I bring up the fact that for the most part christianity is a religion for slave owners, that rape is not frowned upon really, that's ok to kill disobedient kids, and that women are just property in the bible, they always say it's just the old testament and things are different because of the new testament. When I tell them that the ten commandments are in the ot, they either get mad or say its just the devil messing with me.

When I found out that the first ship to bring slaves to america was called "the good ship jesus" and slaves who didn't know fluent english were calling out to jesus because they wanted to get back on the boat, they ignore me. I wish I could get more ppl to think with an open mind like myself, but the feeling of fear is so deeply ingrained that it will pretty much take an atheist equivalent to mlk or malcom x for black ppl at large to really look at religion objectively. I've come to the conclusion that for alot of people in poverty they think that's all that life is, going without material goods (except for the pimp/preachers of course) and being good so that you get to have unlimited material goods when you die and go to your next life, that they just accept and live with it because they feel that they will be rewarded for their ascetism and obedience to their heavenly father and master.

I told my mother that I didn't believe in religion long ago and she just kind of looked at me funny. Didn't really say much. I told my aunt and she went into full religious debate mode and I kind of felt bad for just picking apart everything she presented to me, because she's actually one of the kindest ppl you'll ever meet. Until she started telling me I had demonic spirits around me lol.

I just want to make sure that I'm ready for the emotional onslaught that will come at me once I tell everyone that I am an atheist. At times, I do feel alone but I remember that just through nature and the cycle of life itself we are all connected in some way or another. There will always be people compatible with you, half the fun for me is the journey and attracting new ppl, experiences, and things into your life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2014, 10:02 PM
New Life
Ahh. The good ship lollipop. I can clear a room with that story. For real, if you ever want to piss off every single motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

My personal favorite is exodus 21:20-21 (niv interpretation)
"20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21: but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

Nothing beats a divine license to bind, torture, kill.
31-07-2014, 12:14 PM
As someone who accepted the fact he is an atheist not to long ago, just want to let you know it gets better. I am surrounded by lots of religious people, including my wife. It is tough at times. I am to afraid of how they would react if I told them I am an atheist. Right now they just think I am a pissed of catholic who refuses to go to church, but they leave me alone about it.
02-08-2014, 05:57 AM
I had thoughts of the fear of hell after I decided that I couldn't believe anymore, I realized a couple of things though.

1. Hell is a fear tactic invented by the (mostly) New Testament authors. I WILL NOT BELIEVE BECAUSE OF THREATS!!
The very fact that hell is part of Christian theology highlights its inherent unjust and controlling nature.

2. Learning more through science, you slowly realize the deeply irrational aspects and the controlling psychology of it, as you gain more knowledge on the silliness of this mythology, a distance between you and the primal fear generated from this mythology becomes greater and soon the fear passes and you gain a peace about it.

Here are some videos by a guy who stopped believing, you might like them:

Losing God

Losing God: The Supernatural

Losing God: The Church

Losing God: Hell

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-08-2014, 07:03 AM
People born atheist, religion is man made, it's always been that way.. You rid yourself from the lie surrounds the society. There are those who are too ignorant to discover that the concept of god is too stupid to believe in and there are those who think it would be ignorance to not make cash through marketing religion...

You will eventually realize you are among the wise and elite. You are human again.

"Pretend, this is a quote which would make you question your own wisdom and your life will never be the same after reading this." - Turk
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
3is,
As it has already been mentioned, learn. There is nothing holding you back anymore. You are now able to question absolutely everything and anything you come accross without somebody telling you to accept it "...because god". Research, reach your own conclusions and don't be afraid to be wrong or to change your mind based on new information. "I don't know" is a valid response. Religion is afraid to find out stuff. Now you can just say "You know what? I don't know. But I can find out, I can look into it, research it and find out new ideas all the time instead of having to get all my knowledge from only one book."