New Member - Lisa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2016, 01:27 AM
RE: New Member - Lisa
Ah, book recommendation time!

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin

God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens

(This is a good one for critical review, as Hitch actually does make quite a few errors in his description of the Biblical version of the historical record, and some elements of what the gospel claims and sources actually are, as thought by most modern scholars. If your group wants homework, it's a great choice. If we are to disbelieve, it should be upon the best possible evidence, evaluated fairly and rationally, and not upon spurious or misleading counter-claims.)

We have quite a few members here with scientific training, and others with a fairly deep working knowledge of Biblical apologetics, so if you want to pick apart an anti-science or anti-atheist book written by fundamentalists, just let us know, and we'll be glad to chime in with suggestions. Smile

Welcome to TTA.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2016, 02:41 AM
RE: New Member - Lisa
Almost forgot one!

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins

I would recommend his The God Delusion, which people seem to think is some watershed book for atheism, but frankly I didn't like it and found trouble with some of his arguments... and somehow I suspect many in your group will already have read that one, anyway. I find Dawkins makes a much better scientist and popularized-science writer than he does philosopher, I suppose.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply