New PRRI Study - Nones Percentage Still Rising

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: New PRRI Study - Nones Percentage Still Rising
(12-01-2017 12:26 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 09:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You can only scream "The End Is Near!" for so long, before people start to notice the end keeps failing to show up...
Worked for almost 2000 years. I think there's a different factor at work.
It quit working nearly so well especially in the past century as scientific knowledge crowded the gods into smaller and smaller gaps. The "different factor" at work is just the geometric (rather than arithmetic) progression of human knowledge.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 02:38 PM
(12-01-2017 12:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 05:37 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Exodus - Why Americans Are leaving Religion And Why They Are Not Coming Back

-----
The Decline of Religious Affiliation Among Young Adults

Today, nearly four in ten (39%) young adults (ages 18-29) are religiously unaffiliated—three times the unaffiliated rate (13%) among seniors (ages 65 and older). While previous generations were also more likely to be religiously unaffiliated in their twenties, young adults today are nearly four times as likely as young adults a generation ago to identify as religiously unaffiliated. In 1986, for example, only 10% of young adults claimed no religious affiliation.
Among young adults, the religiously unaffiliated dwarf the percentages of other religious identifications: Catholic (15%), white evangelical Protestant (9%), white mainline Protestant (8%), black Protestant (7%), other non-white Protestants (11%), and affiliation with a non-Christian religion (7%).

----

Unaffiliateds (Nones) now account for 26% of Americans. A new high. This is a major new survey with lots of information in it. 60% of unaffiliateds leave because they simply stop believing in the religion they were raised in.

An interesting new study for those interested in the American religious landscape and who believes what. Some bad news. Young unaffiliateds tend strongly not to vote.

It's also important to make the distinction that "nones" doesn't immediately mean atheist. They just don't believe in "organized" and more than a few are cynical about religion. I know a few christian types that identify that way. One is because they believe the baptist church has become too liberal...

Yeah... Facepalm

There are a number of surveys out there that demonstrate that 10% - 11% of Americans do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit. Among the nones, the large numbers of those that claim to be "nothing in particular", 39% of them do not believe. Many atheists do not self describe as atheists, but will admit in surveys they do not believe in God.

I did not claim Nones are all atheists, so please don't imply that is my claim. There are other studies, Pew for example, that demostrate there are a lot of young atheists who do not self identify as atheists, probably because it causes them trouble.

33% of today's nones do not believe in God. A rise in that statistic since 2007 from 22%.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...e-secular/

33% X 26% = 8.58% do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit.

Slowly there is change from a an almost universal belief in God in the US from past decades to a rising disbelief. Kind of interesting to watch this all play itself out.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/193271/americ...e-god.aspx

And of those who claim to believe in God, apparently a goodly number are not really sure of that belief. (10%)

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
12-01-2017, 03:16 PM
(12-01-2017 02:38 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 12:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's also important to make the distinction that "nones" doesn't immediately mean atheist. They just don't believe in "organized" and more than a few are cynical about religion. I know a few christian types that identify that way. One is because they believe the baptist church has become too liberal...

Yeah... Facepalm

There are a number of surveys out there that demonstrate that 10% - 11% of Americans do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit. Among the nones, the large numbers of those that claim to be "nothing in particular", 39% of them do not believe. Many atheists do not self describe as atheists, but will admit in surveys they do not believe in God.

I did not claim Nones are all atheists, so please don't imply that is my claim. There are other studies, Pew for example, that demostrate there are a lot of young atheists who do not self identify as atheists, probably because it causes them trouble.

33% of today's nones do not believe in God. A rise in that statistic since 2007 from 22%.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...e-secular/

33% X 26% = 8.58% do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit.

Slowly there is change from a an almost universal belief in God in the US from past decades to a rising disbelief. Kind of interesting to watch this all play itself out.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/193271/americ...e-god.aspx

And of those who claim to believe in God, apparently a goodly number are not really sure of that belief. (10%)

Didn't mean to imply that you were making that assertion. Many people actually believe tho that because of the rise of "nones" that they're all instantly in the atheist camp.

it is interesting to watch this play out, but I also worry at times, about the "nones" later claiming they found god and also claiming to be atheist since that plays so well in their circles. I think Kirk Cameron was probably a "none" (because not everyone cares about religion or is indoctrinated into a religious belief) and that's exactly what he did when he got hooked into the Ray Comfort crap ministry.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-01-2017, 03:34 PM
I am an older guy and a life long atheist. I remember when for atheists you had O'Hares American Atheists and the humanists and a few tiny one man operations mostly found in California (Truth Seekers). Almost all Americans were religious and us atheists were a tiny, despised minority. I witnessed the disheartening recrudence of creationism with Dr. Henry Morris et al.

It is amazing to me to see how atheism is gaining adherents at the rate that it is. I think the rise of the internet has a lot to do with that.

It is amazing to me to see how things are going in parts of Europe, in the Scandinavian nations, France, Britain and elsewhere.

I like following these sort of surveys and noting the rapid changes over the last decade or so. Gives me some hope reason and rationality has a fighting chance in this nation. We still have a way to go, but the progress of recent years gives me hope it's doable.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
12-01-2017, 04:12 PM
(12-01-2017 03:34 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am an older guy and a life long atheist. I remember when for atheists you had O'Hares American Atheists and the humanists and a few tiny one man operations mostly found in California (Truth Seekers). Almost all Americans were religious and us atheists were a tiny, despised minority. I witnessed the disheartening recrudence of creationism with Dr. Henry Morris et al.

It is amazing to me to see how atheism is gaining adherents at the rate that it is. I think the rise of the internet has a lot to do with that.

It is amazing to me to see how things are going in parts of Europe, in the Scandinavian nations, France, Britain and elsewhere.

I like following these sort of surveys and noting the rapid changes over the last decade or so. Gives me some hope reason and rationality has a fighting chance in this nation. We still have a way to go, but the progress of recent years gives me hope it's doable.

O'hare was the person most singlehandedly set my atheism probably by a decade or more.

But I came around after a long winding journey, so all's well that ends well.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-01-2017, 05:09 PM
(12-01-2017 12:18 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 09:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You can only scream "The End Is Near!" for so long, before people start to notice the end keeps failing to show up.....................

Same with the tired "God is Everywhere" refrain --- and the prick keeps being conspicuously absent.

Sorta like a deadbeat dad, who's in hiding to avoid his child support payments.............
Eh, you're just Mad At God because he didn't act like a cosmic candy machine for you.

See how easy it is to impersonate a theist? Theists, you see, have super-powers; they know your innermost motivations and have the super-power of Certainty, namely, certainty that you are absolutely wrong and they are absolutely right.

I know because I used to think like this. And like the public official out east just after the election who exulted that Michelle Obama, who she referred to as a "gorilla in heels", will no longer be in the white house, that we will finally have a classy first lady (apparently referring to the one who once was photographed nude while grabbing her OWN pussy) -- just like that idiot who then went on to protest that "I DON'T HAVE A RACIST BONE IN MY BODY", there is this same disconnect with many theists. I used to act incredibly arrogant and presumptuous while thinking myself the most humble and respectful person possible.

Once I realized how arrogant and presumptuous I was I figured I had nothing to lose by being an arrogant and presumptuous atheist instead ;-)

I don't have a problem with women posing nude whilst fondling themselves..........

Rather enjoy it, to be honest....

Tongue

That's not the lady's shortcoming -- it's her taste in men that's questionable....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I was a member of American Atheists when it started but gave up because of MMO'H. What helped a lot was the publishing of decent atheist books by Prometheus Press. Peter Angeles, The Problems of God, George H. Smith, the Case Against God and later I found books books by the likes of Anthony Flew.

Back then, without Google, it took a lot of work to dig this stuff out.

After some years of reading the attempts to prove/disprove God, I ended up at the Rice University Library. I went through 10 years back issues of leading philosophy journals looking for the best evidence from the best and brightest theists had to offer. In the end, it was obvious, they had nothing. (It was here I first encountered Alvin Plantinga).

I have come by my Atheism honestly and gave the loyal opposition every chance to sway me. The best and brightest haven't got any better since then.

I have spent endless hours going through major articles by major theists, philosophers and atheists thanks to Houston Library's JSTOR account, and have given the best and brightest more chances, they failed to demonstrate the concept of God was in any way true.

So I can proudly say, I gave God and theism a chance and God doesn't seem to possibly exist. And that explains me. There is no good reason to think God exists and many good reasons to doubt it, and no theist can correctly say I haven't studied the issue hard enough. The most supposedly sophisticated theology and philosophical attempts to demonstrate god's existence fail.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
12-01-2017, 07:14 PM
(12-01-2017 05:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 12:18 PM)mordant Wrote:  ... like the public official out east just after the election who exulted that Michelle Obama, who she referred to as a "gorilla in heels", will no longer be in the white house, that we will finally have a classy first lady (apparently referring to the one who once was photographed nude while grabbing her OWN pussy) -- just like that idiot who then went on to protest that "I DON'T HAVE A RACIST BONE IN MY BODY", there is this same disconnect with many theists. I used to act incredibly arrogant and presumptuous while thinking myself the most humble and respectful person possible.
I don't have a problem with women posing nude whilst fondling themselves..........

Rather enjoy it, to be honest....

Tongue

That's not the lady's shortcoming -- it's her taste in men that's questionable....

heh
I agree, but while I have no problem with women voluntarily doing that, I wouldn't exactly call it "classy" in the context of a FLOTUS either.

But you're right, I could handle that just fine if it weren't for her taste in men ...
13-01-2017, 02:00 PM
(12-01-2017 03:34 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am an older guy and a life long atheist. I remember when for atheists you had O'Hares American Atheists and the humanists and a few tiny one man operations mostly found in California (Truth Seekers). Almost all Americans were religious and us atheists were a tiny, despised minority. I witnessed the disheartening recrudence of creationism with Dr. Henry Morris et al.

I find phrases like "atheism is gaining adherents" to be awkward and misleading. There is nothing to adhere to - there is no there there.
Atheism is a lack of acceptance of theism.

N.B. The word you want is recrudescence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2017, 03:20 PM
(13-01-2017 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I find phrases like "atheism is gaining adherents" to be awkward and misleading. There is nothing to adhere to - there is no there there.
Atheism is a lack of acceptance of theism.

N.B. The word you want is recrudescence.

Atheism is lack of belief in God(s). It does not matter if the atheist offers good reasons to not believe in God, bad reasons to not believe in God, or no reason at all for disbelieving in God.

The number of people in the US who are atheists has grown remarkably over the last two decades. Adherence to a lack of belief in God is indeed growing. About 10% of Americans today admit they do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit.

Adherence here is neither misleading nor awkward really. We will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

It's always nice to see one of these little pendantic objections derail the thread from it's interesting points, here the slow rise of number of Nones.

Cheerful Charlie