New PRRI Study - Nones Percentage Still Rising

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2017, 06:37 PM
RE: New PRRI Study - Nones Percentage Still Rising
(13-01-2017 03:20 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I find phrases like "atheism is gaining adherents" to be awkward and misleading. There is nothing to adhere to - there is no there there.
Atheism is a lack of acceptance of theism.

N.B. The word you want is recrudescence.

Atheism is lack of belief in God(s). It does not matter if the atheist offers good reasons to not believe in God, bad reasons to not believe in God, or no reason at all for disbelieving in God.

The number of people in the US who are atheists has grown remarkably over the last two decades. Adherence to a lack of belief in God is indeed growing. About 10% of Americans today admit they do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit.

Adherence here is neither misleading nor awkward really. We will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

It's always nice to see one of these little pendantic objections derail the thread from it's interesting points, here the slow rise of number of Nones.

Your passive-aggressive comments do nothing to advance the subject, but allow you to avoid admitting error or making a substantive reply.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2017, 07:18 PM
(13-01-2017 06:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 03:20 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Atheism is lack of belief in God(s). It does not matter if the atheist offers good reasons to not believe in God, bad reasons to not believe in God, or no reason at all for disbelieving in God.

The number of people in the US who are atheists has grown remarkably over the last two decades. Adherence to a lack of belief in God is indeed growing. About 10% of Americans today admit they do not believe in God or a Universal Spirit.

Adherence here is neither misleading nor awkward really. We will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

It's always nice to see one of these little pendantic objections derail the thread from it's interesting points, here the slow rise of number of Nones.

Your passive-aggressive comments do nothing to advance the subject, but allow you to avoid admitting error or making a substantive reply.

When did you become the be all and end all of defining what atheism is all about?
No, don't need you to tell me how the cow ate the cabbage.

Adherent! Adherent! Adherent!

ad·her·ent
adˈhirənt,adˈherənt/
noun
noun: adherent; plural noun: adherents

someone who supports a particular party, person, or set of ideas.
"he was a strong adherent of monetarism"
synonyms: follower, supporter, upholder, defender, advocate, disciple, votary, devotee, partisan, member, friend, stalwart; More

------------

There are plenty of people who hold that they do not believe in God. Adherents.

Thanks for derailing this thread into silly pedantry.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
13-01-2017, 07:51 PM
(13-01-2017 07:18 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 06:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your passive-aggressive comments do nothing to advance the subject, but allow you to avoid admitting error or making a substantive reply.

When did you become the be all and end all of defining what atheism is all about?

ad·her·ent
adˈhirənt,adˈherənt/
noun

synonyms: follower, supporter, upholder, defender, advocate, disciple, votary, devotee, partisan, member, friend, stalwart; More

------------

You continue to display your ignorance and lack of understanding.

Atheism is not a set of ideas, it is a rejection of theistic claims due to absence of evidence. Period.

13-01-2017, 08:18 PM
(13-01-2017 07:18 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 06:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your passive-aggressive comments do nothing to advance the subject, but allow you to avoid admitting error or making a substantive reply.

ad·her·ent
adˈhirənt,adˈherənt/
noun

------------

It's not a term I would use to describe atheists or atheism. There aren't any sets of ideas. There is only one.

All atheism is a lack of belief in a deity. That isn't a "set" of anything.

There are no deep philosophical tenets to adhere to.

Maybe you're conflating secular humanism with atheism? Humanists do have base tenets that they agree upon and adhere to.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Adherent is a perfectly usable word. Sorry people.

TA does not seem to have an ignore file. If so Chaz would be there now.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
13-01-2017, 09:11 PM
(13-01-2017 08:58 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Adherent is a perfectly usable word. Sorry people.

It does; are you smart enough to find it? Consider

Oh, you'd better put Moms on ignore, as well, since she just agreed with what I said.

14-01-2017, 08:01 AM
(13-01-2017 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 08:58 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Adherent is a perfectly usable word. Sorry people.

It does; are you smart enough to find it? Consider

Oh, you'd better put Moms on ignore, as well, since she just agreed with what I said.
Yeah, add me while you're at it.

Theists are always trying to cast atheism as "just another religion" or "just another belief system". It is FAR narrower than any religious belief position.

Someone I respect a great deal put it is words to this effect:

"I don't mind people calling me an atheist, but I don't apply the label to myself. It is true that I don't believe in any deities, but that is not what I am, it is a RESULT of what I am, which is, a person who does not afford belief to things that aren't substantiated. BECAUSE of this, I am, among other things, an atheist. Also I do not believe in an afterlife, homeopathy, a flat earth, Santa Claus, and a whole host of other things on the EXACT SAME BASIS."

Even atheists, it seems, often have trouble understanding that atheism is a single belief position on a single and very narrow question, not a "worldview" or "philosophy" that could promulgate a doctrine that could have "adherents". Rather it is the OUTCOME of a particular epistemology, or more exactly, one of many outcomes.

It would not be worth picking this battle if it was just "us girls" chattering about it, but the problem is that theists so commonly mischaracterize us in this regard that it's pretty important that we don't do it to ourselves.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post