New Pew poll on Evolution ..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: New Pew poll on Evolution ..
(02-01-2014 02:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It doesn't. But the polls reveal the state of education.

Only saying. I think that it should be underlined.

I havent thought of that.... Maybe because where I live you are more likely to run into someone who believes that the earth is flat, than someone who denies evolution.
Evolution has kind of become common knowlege here. But then again the educational standards we have are pritty high and scientific institutions are held in very high regard.

Our chancelor has a phd in physics, I guess that might say something about it.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
(02-01-2014 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:55 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Google the survey, here is what you find;

"This report is based on telephone interviews conducted March 21-April 8, 2013, among a national sample of 1,983 adults."

Last i heard there is over 300 million people in america, of diverse beliefs and backgrounds, yet here we have a "study" that called 1,983 people ,and then posited that info as "1/3 of america doesn't believe in evolution". really? who did you call? what was their religious beliefs? what was their demographics? location? what was the question? how was it worded? how was it presented? tone and demographic of the poller? etc etc

worthless as all polls are.

Nice misinformation attempt on their part....sadly most will take it at face value.

You might want to understand a little more about statistical sampling and sample size. Drinking Beverage

Oh I understand it quite well actually, and have always felt it was voodoo science. 1983 people polled can in no way accurately reflect the opinion of 300+ million people, too many contributing factors that can skew that information.

here is the closer statement made at the bottom of the poll itself.

"In addition to sampling error, one should bear in mind that question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of opinion polls."

which is about the only thing they said I will buy at face value. Just my humble opinion, I read their song and dance about 95% accuracy blah blah blah.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
02-01-2014, 03:31 PM
'not believing in science' is what stops science from being discovered. So stats are kinda important.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
02-01-2014, 03:43 PM
This just in: evolution kills.

[Image: evolutionkillsbig.png]

Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Re: RE: New Pew poll on Evolution ..
(02-01-2014 02:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Equivalent poll from the Rest of the World:

Q: Do you believe that humans evolved over time or where created in their current form?
A: Hey, bro, WTAF, d'ya think I'm a Murikan or sumfing?

Hey, it's not that way in Turkey... But ever other so called industrialized nations and some not even fitting that regard can mock us.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-01-2014, 10:29 PM
(02-01-2014 03:06 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Oh I understand it quite well actually, and have always felt it was voodoo science. 1983 people polled can in no way accurately reflect the opinion of 300+ million people, too many contributing factors that can skew that information.

more like a very very very very small group of people phoned who don't hang up on survey calls, have this view on evolution.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".