New Planet at the edge of our Solar System may have been discovered.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: New Planet at the edge of our Solar System may have been discovered.
(21-01-2016 10:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  2. This was not discovered. It was hypothesised. It is only one possible explanation for certain observations in outer-system motion.

Yeah I have to say for all the noise the press have been making it's... just a theory. And the article I read was helluva sketchy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 02:07 PM
(21-01-2016 10:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  1. Say what you will about the category of dwarf planet, "Planet X" is a much cooler nickname for a new astronomical body.
(related: if Pluto is a planet, then no, there are not nine; there must be at least fourteen of them)

2. This was not discovered. It was hypothesised. It is only one possible explanation for certain observations in outer-system motion.

There are 8 Planets, A Dwarf Planet even with planet in it's name is not a planet like the others. Planet X is cooler I will agree.

Also no one said it was discovered, I said in both title and OP may have been discovered.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-01-2016, 02:15 PM
(21-01-2016 02:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 10:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  2. This was not discovered. It was hypothesised. It is only one possible explanation for certain observations in outer-system motion.

Yeah I have to say for all the noise the press have been making it's... just a theory. And the article I read was helluva sketchy.

Indeed. From the actual published abstract:
Batygin and Brown Wrote:Recent analyses have shown that distant orbits within the scattered disk population of the Kuiper Belt exhibit an unexpected clustering in their respective arguments of perihelion. ... We demonstrate that the perihelion positions and orbital planes of the objects are tightly confined and that such a clustering has only a probability of 0.007% to be due to chance, thus requiring a dynamical origin. We find that the observed orbital alignment can be maintained by a distant eccentric planet with mass [approximately ten times that of Earth] ... Continued analysis of both distant and highly inclined outer solar system objects provides the opportunity for testing our hypothesis as well as further constraining the orbital elements and mass of the distant planet.

So yeah. Do not take popular press interpretations of science news at face value. Ever.

Do not even take 'academic' press releases necessarily at face value, because large universities also worry about PR and funding. Although in this case the actual Caltech announcement was totally fine.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-01-2016, 02:16 PM
(21-01-2016 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 10:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  1. Say what you will about the category of dwarf planet, "Planet X" is a much cooler nickname for a new astronomical body.
(related: if Pluto is a planet, then no, there are not nine; there must be at least fourteen of them)

2. This was not discovered. It was hypothesised. It is only one possible explanation for certain observations in outer-system motion.

There are 8 Planets, A Dwarf Planet even with planet in it's name is not a planet like the others. Planet X is cooler I will agree.

Also no one said it was discovered, I said in both title and OP may have been discovered.

Neither of those comments was addressed specifically at you! Just more general gripes about responses I've seen. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

... this is my signature!
21-01-2016, 03:50 PM
(21-01-2016 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 02:07 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  There are 8 Planets, A Dwarf Planet even with planet in it's name is not a planet like the others. Planet X is cooler I will agree.

Neither of those comments was addressed specifically at you! Just more general gripes about responses I've seen. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

No problem, wasn't sure so just wanted to clear that up.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Call it Diana. Fits in with all the other Roman names.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-01-2016, 07:27 PM
(21-01-2016 07:24 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Call it Diana. Fits in with all the other Roman names.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2016, 10:24 PM
(21-01-2016 07:24 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Call it Diana. Fits in with all the other Roman names.

Caligula works, too.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-01-2016, 10:57 PM
(20-01-2016 04:04 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(20-01-2016 02:49 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  How about a feminine name. Planet Vaginesis... Cuntensia.... Coochieopia. Laugh out load

Geespottia: Discovered by men centuries after the big obvious ones.

You are in charge of naming everything now. Careful about the plants, boss fired the last guy.
21-01-2016, 11:02 PM
(21-01-2016 10:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

Caligula works, too.

Little boots? That is what Caligula means. He got that while with his dad as a child on campaign in Germany. If you called him that name as an adult you'd've been tortured and killed.

His name was Gaius Caesar. Later he added Germanicus.

A bit long for a planet.

Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post