New Puppy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 10:43 AM
New Puppy
Well, I decided to get another dog.

Drago the German Shepherd is 6 now, and well adapted to life here, the proverbial good citizen. Not to mention that he is a living, breathing and decision making security system and a snuggle bear.

Mop, the little Lhasa, is also 6 and the clown, he makes me laugh out loud at least once a day.

Drago could use a young dog to romp with. I usually add a youngster when my dog gets to be middle aged. It rejuvinates the older dog, makes him play and run more and injects extra spunk. The new pup tends to practice "monkey see, monkey do" and usually requires minimal training.

So I am thinking Great Dane. They are my other favorite breed. I asked Mop about it by saying the names of the two Danes he knew in years past (they are no more) and he got all excited. He loved those Danes, they played with him ever so gently.

So I have 3 different prospects lined up:

A pup from a top breeder with an impeccable reputation, hips and thyroid guaranteed pending tests, and overall health guaranteed for 2 years. She will need to be flown in.

A pup from a local breeder with good reputation. No guarantees. I have examined the sire's pedigree and looks good. I will be able to meet mom.

A one year old rescue. Potty trained and zero obedience. I am waiting for more info on her. Zero obedience doesn't bother me, it will be fun for her and me to work on that.

Each has pros and cons. This will take a while to sort out, me thinks.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: New Puppy
(20-08-2014 10:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I decided to get another dog.

Drago the German Shepherd is 6 now, and well adapted to life here, the proverbial good citizen. Not to mention that he is a living, breathing and decision making security system and a snuggle bear.

Mop, the little Lhasa, is also 6 and the clown, he makes me laugh out loud at least once a day.

Drago could use a young dog to romp with. I usually add a youngster when my dog gets to be middle aged. It rejuvinates the older dog, makes him play and run more and injects extra spunk. The new pup tends to practice "monkey see, monkey do" and usually requires minimal training.

So I am thinking Great Dane. They are my other favorite breed. I asked Mop about it by saying the names of the two Danes he knew in years past (they are no more) and he got all excited. He loved those Danes, they played with him ever so gently.

A pup from a top breeder with an impeccable reputation, hips and thyroid guaranteed pending tests, and overall health guaranteed for 2 years. She will need to be flown in.

A pup from a local breeder with good reputation. No guarantees. I have examined the sire's pedigree and looks good. I will be able to meet mom.

A one year old rescue. Potty trained and zero obedience. I am waiting for more info on her. Zero obedience doesn't bother me, it will be fun for her and me to work on that.

I tend to favor rescues over breeders almost exclusively due to the huge over supply in the pet population but I figure you know your stuff and would not be dealing with a puppy mill. Given your situation where training is not a problem I would lean towards the pound puppy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Sounds fun! I love danes, too. They look so dainty and they they do something clumsy and it is funny. Good luck on your decision making.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-08-2014, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 11:12 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
Those are tough choices.

I'd probably opt for the rescue but you know your dogs and which of the new options will fit best.

Whatever you choose, a dog out there is about to get a great home!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Whatever you decide (and I'd go for the rescue dog) we want pictures!

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 4 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
20-08-2014, 11:12 AM
(20-08-2014 10:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I decided to get another dog.

I tend to favor rescues over breeders almost exclusively due to the huge over supply in the pet population but I figure you know your stuff and would not be dealing with a puppy mill. Given your situation where training is not a problem I would lean towards the pound puppy.

Yabbut - Mop is a rescue from a puppy mill the authorities here closed down. His medical bills are bad, he has back issues and a twisted leg - birth defects due to bad breeding. Danes have even more likely breeding defects - and the cost multiplies by size at the vets. So this has the potential of being a very expensive and nerve wrecking adoption. She is not at the pound anymore but at a rescue organization, so she is not about to be euthanized. I have had plenty of rescue dogs over the decades, but all mixed breeds which tend to have fewer issues. Waiting for a Dane/extra large breed dog mix could take a very very long time...

The top bred dog would be fairly worry and cost free once I buy her...

and the local bred dog would be an in between situation and I can likely negotiate the hip/thyroid guarantee since this can be evaluated early on.

Of course there is always the chance that I fall head over heels in love with any one of them and all caution will be blowing in the wind...Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm a big fan of rescue. Not a big fan of breeders.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2014, 11:18 AM
My parents always had Great Danes so I've grown up with three of them in succession. There is a saying, once a Great Dane owner always a Great Dane owner. They also aren't that active, great with kids, great guard dogs and can have real personalities. Unfortunately if they last till they are 8 years old then it's good innings. They don't live long at all.

If you do get one though, please I beg of you, don't get their ears cropped so they point upwards. They have the most gorgeous lovely ears to stroke when they aren't mutilated.

Cuddly

[Image: wpid-cute_great_dane.jpeg]

What did you do to my ears??

[Image: mantle-great-danes.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
20-08-2014, 11:23 AM
(20-08-2014 11:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I tend to favor rescues over breeders almost exclusively due to the huge over supply in the pet population but I figure you know your stuff and would not be dealing with a puppy mill. Given your situation where training is not a problem I would lean towards the pound puppy.

Yabbut - Mop is a rescue from a puppy mill the authorities here closed down. His medical bills are bad, he has back issues and a twisted leg - birth defects due to bad breeding. Danes have even more likely breeding defects - and the cost multiplies by size at the vets. So this has the potential of being a very expensive and nerve wrecking adoption. She is not at the pound anymore but at a rescue organization, so she is not about to be euthanized. I have had plenty of rescue dogs over the decades, but all mixed breeds which tend to have fewer issues. Waiting for a Dane/extra large breed dog mix could take a very very long time...

and the local bred dog would be an in between situation and I can likely negotiate the hip/thyroid guarantee since this can be evaluated early on.

Of course there is always the chance that I fall head over heels in love with any one of them and all caution will be blowing in the wind...Tongue

I got my last GSD from a local breeder and it went well. I was able to go and visit and they had the AKC info up to date.

The top breeder would limit your cost after the purchase.

I'm glad Mop got someone like you. I despise puppy mills. I have a friend that just bought a pure bred kitten from a petshop (Yes, a petshop) and it has FIP and will die in a few days. I think he came from a kitten mill but the place has a few complaints so it's not easy to tell. Good to see a happy outcome for an animal subjected to that type of existence.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2014, 11:31 AM
(20-08-2014 11:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 10:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I tend to favor rescues over breeders almost exclusively due to the huge over supply in the pet population but I figure you know your stuff and would not be dealing with a puppy mill. Given your situation where training is not a problem I would lean towards the pound puppy.

I am well aware which is why I stated my bias before what I would suggest. I figured you are an old hand at this and would not be dealing with problem breeders. But all said and done I just prefer to rescue dogs over get them from breeders with the current state of the pet population. Whatever you choose though I have heard great things about that breed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post