New Puppy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: New Puppy
(20-08-2014 11:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My parents always had Great Danes so I've grown up with three of them in succession. There is a saying, once a Great Dane owner always a Great Dane owner. They also aren't that active, great with kids, great guard dogs and can have real personalities. Unfortunately if they last till they are 8 years old then it's good innings. They don't live long at all.

If you do get one though, please I beg of you, don't get their ears cropped so they point upwards. They have the most gorgeous lovely ears to stroke when they aren't mutilated.

Cuddly

[Image: wpid-cute_great_dane.jpeg]

What did you do to my ears??

[Image: mantle-great-danes.jpg]

My previous Danes - one had a botched ear cropping and had one ear up and the other down. The other one didn't have them cropped.

The rescue is a Harlequin with cropped ears that both flop anyway. The others aren't cropped. The trend is thankfully now not to crop them. They used to be cropped for a reason way back when - they were originally bred to hunt boar. That would expose their long ears to being slit. So they cropped them.

I don't plan to do any boar hunting... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 03:01 PM
(20-08-2014 11:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 11:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My parents always had Great Danes so I've grown up with three of them in succession. There is a saying, once a Great Dane owner always a Great Dane owner. They also aren't that active, great with kids, great guard dogs and can have real personalities. Unfortunately if they last till they are 8 years old then it's good innings. They don't live long at all.

If you do get one though, please I beg of you, don't get their ears cropped so they point upwards. They have the most gorgeous lovely ears to stroke when they aren't mutilated.

Cuddly

[Image: wpid-cute_great_dane.jpeg]

What did you do to my ears??

[Image: mantle-great-danes.jpg]

My previous Danes - one had a botched ear cropping and had one ear up and the other down. The other one didn't have them cropped.

The rescue is a Harlequin with cropped ears that both flop anyway. The others aren't cropped. The trend is thankfully now not to crop them. They used to be cropped for a reason way back when - they were originally bred to hunt boar. That would expose their long ears to being slit. So they cropped them.

It must not bother you that they have fairly short lives. We have a neighbor who has a Great Dane puppy. Ummmm. Yeah, it's a puppy and it's the size of a pony. This is their third Great Dane. Personally I need dogs to live at least 12-15 years old, it's just too heartbreaking to lose them.

When you get your doggie....Pictures please!!!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-08-2014, 03:16 PM
(20-08-2014 03:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 11:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  My previous Danes - one had a botched ear cropping and had one ear up and the other down. The other one didn't have them cropped.

It must not bother you that they have fairly short lives. We have a neighbor who has a Great Dane puppy. Ummmm. Yeah, it's a puppy and it's the size of a pony. This is their third Great Dane. Personally I need dogs to live at least 12-15 years old, it's just too heartbreaking to lose them.

When you get your doggie....Pictures please!!!

My two previous Danes lived to be 12 and 14 respectively....

I know that the Danes are supposed to have a life span of 8 to 10. I may not get so lucky this time around.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-08-2014, 03:45 PM
This is Harley at age 14, it's the last pic of her. She stole tomatoes every chance she got. Just picked them neatly off the vine and ate them. She also ate tons and tons of chamomile. Chamomile is this short tiny daisy looking flower and you use the center in tea as a calmative and stomach soothing potion and all kinds of medicinal purposes. Her dog yard was covered in it like a carpet, and she would spend hours meticulously removing the tiny flower centers and eating them. Not an easy feat with a big mouth like that. No other dog in that same environment ever stole tomatoes or ate chamomile. Who knows, maybe that's why she lived so long.

[Image: summer10017_zps79edad2f.jpg]

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
20-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I love great Danes. I've been in love with them forever...Smile

But I'm sorry their poop is HUGE. My dog's poop at 70 pounds is big enough. Yes, I routinely decide what type of dog to get based on the size of their shit

Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2014, 03:56 PM
(20-08-2014 03:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It must not bother you that they have fairly short lives. We have a neighbor who has a Great Dane puppy. Ummmm. Yeah, it's a puppy and it's the size of a pony. This is their third Great Dane. Personally I need dogs to live at least 12-15 years old, it's just too heartbreaking to lose them.

No, it really did bother us that the Great Danes had very short lives. It's the same for all dog lovers. We once spoke to a couple who were going to give up keeping the breed because all theirs died at 3 or 4 years old and they couldn't handle it anymore.

We were really pleased when my parent's last Great Dane lived for 9 years. Only their first Great Dane was from a breeder. I remember hearing my Dad through the bedroom wall crying that night. The last two were rescue dogs. At least that way you know that when they die you can try consoling yourself that you gave them a happy home which they wouldn't otherwise have had.
20-08-2014, 03:56 PM
(20-08-2014 11:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yabbut - Mop is a rescue from a puppy mill the authorities here closed down. His medical bills are bad, he has back issues and a twisted leg - birth defects due to bad breeding. Danes have even more likely breeding defects - and the cost multiplies by size at the vets. So this has the potential of being a very expensive and nerve wrecking adoption. She is not at the pound anymore but at a rescue organization, so she is not about to be euthanized.

You could talk with the rescue about fostering the dog prior to adoption. While you are fostering the rescue typically covers the vet costs. And the cost of their food qualifies as a charitable contribution.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-08-2014, 03:57 PM
One raw beef knuckle bone a day and the size and stink goes away. Smile

The poop will be smaller and dryer and scentless and light colored.

If you feed the BARF diet (which I am too lazy to do Undecided ), which is all raw food, the effect will be even more pronounced. The dogs thrive on it. It's a lot of work though.

So I got my butcher selling me deep frozen knuckle bones for pennies. He can sell the marrow parts easily for soup stock, but the knuckles don't sell well. My dogs luck out, they love this.

20-08-2014, 04:02 PM
(20-08-2014 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  One raw beef knuckle bone a day and the size and stink goes away. Smile

The poop will be smaller and dryer and scentless and light colored.

If you feed the BARF diet (which I am too lazy to do Undecided ), which is all raw food, the effect will be even more pronounced. The dogs thrive on it. It's a lot of work though.

So I got my butcher selling me deep frozen knuckle bones for pennies. He can sell the marrow parts easily for soup stock, but the knuckles don't sell well. My dogs luck out, they love this.

We tried the barf diet but our dog seems have a lot of tummy troubles -- that continued long after they should have.

Bones are completely off his diet list...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm amazed Dom at the age of your previous Great Danes and it's really interesting to hear about the camomile.

(20-08-2014 03:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But I'm sorry their poop is HUGE. My dog's poop at 70 pounds is big enough. Yes, I routinely decide what type of dog to get based on the size of their shit

I was always the first one back home and it was always me having to clear up the poop inside the house when we got our third Dane who was a rescue dog.

I never once berated Jess. Every time I came home I could tell that she felt really bad about it. And she did try. She would always poop in the kitchen. So I put out some newspaper and she pooped on that. Success! Except this mountain of dog turd soaked through the news paper and when I lifted it up it fell through and splatted everywhere. After that I put out loads of newspaper every morning and she always went on it without fail.

After cleaning it away I'd then sit down with her and stroked her and comforted her. That was what awaited me every day when I came back from school for many months. Eventually she managed to hold it in and start going in the garden which was paved and I'd normally clear it away when my mum got back. By that time I was so desensitised to it I did all the dirty work. She helped wash it down the drains.

Maybe this explains why I am so keen on composting all my own kitchen waste and don't mind when it looks and smells like I am turning over a large container full of manure.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post