New Puppy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: New Puppy
(20-08-2014 04:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  One raw beef knuckle bone a day and the size and stink goes away. Smile

The poop will be smaller and dryer and scentless and light colored.

If you feed the BARF diet (which I am too lazy to do Undecided ), which is all raw food, the effect will be even more pronounced. The dogs thrive on it. It's a lot of work though.

So I got my butcher selling me deep frozen knuckle bones for pennies. He can sell the marrow parts easily for soup stock, but the knuckles don't sell well. My dogs luck out, they love this.

We tried the barf diet but our dog seems have a lot of tummy troubles -- that continued long after they should have.

Bones are completely off his diet list...

Ah, too bad. When I was training Sheppies, the police canines all were on BARF. And when I bought Drago from an officer, he was on BARF also. And he had intestinal issues immediately after I took him off it - so I weaned him off slowly. It also needs to be introduced slowly... by BARF I don't mean the brand but a generic raw diet.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 04:09 PM
(20-08-2014 04:06 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm amazed Dom at the age of your previous Great Danes and it's really interesting to hear about the camomile.

(20-08-2014 03:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But I'm sorry their poop is HUGE. My dog's poop at 70 pounds is big enough. Yes, I routinely decide what type of dog to get based on the size of their shit

I was always the first one back home and it was always me having to clear up the poop inside the house when we got our third Dane who was a rescue dog.

I never once berated Jess. Every time I came home I could tell that she felt really bad about it. And she did try. She would always poop in the kitchen. So I put out some newspaper and she pooped on that. Success! Except this mountain of dog turd soaked through the news paper and when I lifted it up it fell through and splatted everywhere. After that I put out loads of newspaper every morning and she always went on it without fail.

After cleaning it away I'd then sit down with her and stroked her and comforted her. That was what awaited me every day when I came back from school for many months. Eventually she managed to hold it in and start going in the garden which was paved and I'd normally clear it away when my mum got back. By that time I was so desensitised to it I did all the dirty work. She helped wash it down the drains.

Maybe this explains why I am so keen on composting all my own kitchen waste and don't mind when it looks and smells like I am turning over a large container full of manure.

Once a week we have gardeners who come and cut the lawn, so the poop must be cleaned up...the kids are supposed to do it...

But they also forget or forget not to let the dog out until after they've come.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-08-2014, 04:15 PM
My parents downgraded to some kind of bullmastiff / rhodesian ridgeback cross. It was a young rescue dog and they were told that it was a Great Dane cross.

Anyway the dog regularly eats the fresh strawberries from the strawberry tower.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
20-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Oh this makes me so happy! Can't wait to see who you get to bring home!! Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
20-08-2014, 04:18 PM
(20-08-2014 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Once a week we have gardeners who come and cut the lawn, so the poop must be cleaned up...the kids are supposed to do it...

I just mow over it. The lawn seems to love it as long as it's distributed and not all in one spot.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-08-2014, 04:27 PM
(20-08-2014 04:15 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  My parents downgraded to some kind of bullmastiff / rhodesian ridgeback cross. It was a young rescue dog and they were told that it was a Great Dane cross.

Anyway the dog regularly eats the fresh strawberries from the strawberry tower.

That's funny, Drago steals strawberries too. I have a raised bed full of everbearing ones and he watched me graze there almost daily and now he waits until I have my back turned to him and steals them.

I don't care about their poop in general. They have a 3/4 acre fenced dog yard, and over half of it is total wilderness and they go there. I don't see it and I don't smell it. It disappears in the wilderness. I even put a small septic tank in their yard, figuring that I would clean up there and use it, but most of the time I can't find the poop.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-08-2014, 04:30 PM
(20-08-2014 04:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 04:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We tried the barf diet but our dog seems have a lot of tummy troubles -- that continued long after they should have.

Bones are completely off his diet list...

Ah, too bad. When I was training Sheppies, the police canines all were on BARF. And when I bought Drago from an officer, he was on BARF also. And he had intestinal issues immediately after I took him off it - so I weaned him off slowly. It also needs to be introduced slowly... by BARF I don't mean the brand but a generic raw diet.

Oh, I know a vet in Cali told us about it. We introduced it super slow...but his tummy troubles never went away. We actually waited a long time (probably too long for his sake).

He's a hound / German Shepard mix...

But he's 12 now and still very spry and puppy like at times, but has slowed down some.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Poop talk. Laughat

Glad to hear you are getting another dog. I still have quite the house full of critters...I often think that when the time comes I won't replace any of them - then I remember how well I followed that plan in the past.

Pics please!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
20-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes, even after I had to have George's dog Hank put down recently, I said no more dogs.

Yeah, right. Tongue

20-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Love dogs.
Where I live now we have 4, and two new kittens.
Weeeeee

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post