New Puppy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 07:14 PM
RE: New Puppy
(22-08-2014 07:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 07:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  I once has a neighbor whose dog's name was Dammit.

Fuss is the German for foot, and you'll hear all the cops in the states telling their dogs to heel by saying "Fuss".

When on Ft. Jackson a neighbor of our's was from Germany. His Shepherd was trained in German as well as hand signals. I remember him saying what sounded like 'plots' a lot.

That's "down". As in lie down, not get down.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 09:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
Before the pack of Beagles came outta nowhere we had a Bull Mastiff. Lovely gentle drooling giant at 130 lbs. The big breeds not only suffer more skeletal problems they also have a much higher rate of cancer. Butch went down at 8 from cancer. These goddam little shit Beagles on the other hand are likely to outlive my sorry ass. ... fuckers

#sigh
22-08-2014, 09:36 PM
(22-08-2014 04:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, here are pics of the pup I am looking at on Sunday:

[Image: pup3_zps2fcb2f33.jpg]

[Image: pup2_zps578b1976.jpg]

[Image: pup1_zps3f3d16e8.jpg]

I am afraid I am in love already.... but I will test for temperament.

I see her and think Sarah Blush what a beauty!!! Heart

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
23-08-2014, 12:51 AM
d'aww can it be a puppy foreverrr?!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-08-2014, 05:22 AM
(22-08-2014 09:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Before the pack of Beagles came outta nowhere we had a Bull Mastiff. Lovely gentle drooling giant at 130 lbs. The big breeds not only suffer more skeletal problems they also have a much higher rate of cancer. Butch went down at 8 from cancer. These goddam little shit Beagles on the other hand are likely to outlive my sorry ass. ... fuckers

For a Mastiff 8 is not bad, their average is 7. For a Dane it's 8 to 10. You get to be my age, you think in shorter time intervals when you do life changing things, and a huge dog is definitely life changing. Also, I don't want any of my dogs to outlive me. Life is not good for orphaned older dogs. Most end up being put in cages and euthanized after a good while of imprisonment. They lose everything they held dear and are thrown into a scary world they have absolutely no control over. I don't want that for my dogs. When my three dogs are all gone I will be into my 70s. After that, it's only adoption of elderly dogs for me. Or fosters. This will be my last puppy to raise up and keep as permanent companion. And that is part of why I opted for a puppy, too, rather than seeking to adopt an older dog. The window for when I can do this is slowly closing.

Mop was a pup when I got him - one of a couple dozen of the same who were rescued from a puppy farm. Drago was already 4 when I got him. Mop will live the longest of them all, barring any mishaps. He's 6 and the average age is 16. Drago has another 6 to 8 years, the Dane will have 8 years also. Give or take a few years for all of them. That is about as long as I want to make plans at this time. After that it will be a good time to revisit my life and make other plans, short plans.

A lot of people ignore the fact that they are getting older, and there is merit in that, too. But I am a realist, and I am loyal to my pets, and so their life expectancy matters. So, other than my infatuation with Great Danes, there are good reasons why I picked a breed that has a shorter life span.

I am getting really excited. I hope she has an outgoing but laid back type personality, that's what I am looking for. Danes do tend to fit the bill. Tomorrow we shall see....

A big pup like that is much like having a kid, really. Keeps you on your toes for a while until she knows what is what in her life. I am looking forward to it - this time I have all the time in the world to devote to this. Should be a fun trip for the both of us.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
23-08-2014, 07:20 AM
GET ALL THE PUPPIES!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
23-08-2014, 08:35 AM
(23-08-2014 07:20 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  GET ALL THE PUPPIES!

And send you all the kittens? Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Ok, she's here. She is also confused and scared, first time away from mom plus a very long drive. She ate like a pig and is now sleeping. I'll see about taking some pics tomorrow when she will likely be more lively.

She met Mop and Drago and both like her. So far, so good.

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
26-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Ok, so the first day she was just exhausted and slept most of the time, so I didn't take pics then. Now it's the opposite - she is like a wind up doll. She doesn't hold still long enough - pics end up being a blur.

I'll get it yet. Smile

So far I've pretty much let the other dogs do the teaching. Works well. I have her in a cage at night with toys and chews and water - and she hasn't complained. That's pretty remarkable, I was prepared for a couple of sleepless nights.

In a day or two I'll have to start separating her out periodically and starting some one on one things with her or she'll get all dog oriented instead of people oriented.

Only one wet accident in the house in two days - not bad, she's already catching on with the potty training. I put her outside every hour and a half, that seems to be the current frequency of urges. It sure helps to be able to devote the first week or so to the new pup. Makes potty training so easy...

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
26-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't try to mess with that pup if I was you - she is under police protection.

[Image: IMG_0789_zpscb899576.jpg]

[+] 7 users Like Dom's post