New Scientist magazine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2014, 09:36 PM
New Scientist magazine
Any subscribers/regular readers on here.

I'm planning to pick up a copy next time I'm in town, if its any good I might ask Santa for a subscription.

Just wondered if anyone here can tell me what ts content is like, what you like about it, what you don't like.

Or, perhaps more importantly, anyone who used to read it, but stopped.

I've been a subscriber to astronomy magazines, which I'm still interested in, but in reality, I'm into just about all areas of science.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 09:51 PM by Smercury44.)
RE: New Scientist magazine
I really like Skeptic Magazine. A great range of topics, and some really good reads. Here's a summary of one of their magazines. I need to catch up on my reading.

Quote:How Hunting Developed Scientific Thinking; The Great Radium Craze; Randi on the Founding Father of Scientology; Child Preachers from Jesus to Marjoe; Scientology’s War on Medicine, by Harriet Hall; Beware of the “Sovereign Citizen” Scam; How Science Denial Threatens Us All; Psychic Sylvia Browne Debunked Again; REVIEWS: Media-driven Panics and Hoaxes; A Classic Example of Confirmation Bias; A Skeptic’s Guide to the Mind; Science Basics and Amazing Anecdotes; Growing Up in the Amityville Horror; Junior Skeptic: Mermaids…

I don't know if you can get this in a regular store. I've subscribed through the Newsstand in iTunes. You can get it here though. They have free samples too.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
08-11-2014, 05:27 AM
I often bought new scientist when I was living in the UK and will start buying it again when I move back at the end of the year. I don't buy it every time but there can be interesting articles. Sometimes I have found really useful stuff in there. If nothing else it helps improve scientific literacy and makes you realise that physicists trying to figure out the nature of reality are all on hallucinogenic drugs. I assume that it helps them.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
08-11-2014, 06:02 AM
I've used their website a few times, always found it was good however as they aren't peer reviewed, not everything they publish will necessarily be completly accurate.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
09-11-2014, 10:48 AM
(07-11-2014 09:44 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I really like Skeptic Magazine. A great range of topics, and some really good reads. Here's a summary of one of their magazines. I need to catch up on my reading.

Quote:How Hunting Developed Scientific Thinking; The Great Radium Craze; Randi on the Founding Father of Scientology; Child Preachers from Jesus to Marjoe; Scientology’s War on Medicine, by Harriet Hall; Beware of the “Sovereign Citizen” Scam; How Science Denial Threatens Us All; Psychic Sylvia Browne Debunked Again; REVIEWS: Media-driven Panics and Hoaxes; A Classic Example of Confirmation Bias; A Skeptic’s Guide to the Mind; Science Basics and Amazing Anecdotes; Growing Up in the Amityville Horror; Junior Skeptic: Mermaids…

I don't know if you can get this in a regular store. I've subscribed through the Newsstand in iTunes. You can get it here though. They have free samples too.

Is Skeptic magazine available in the UK?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user