New Skype update for Android

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 01:34 PM
New Skype update for Android
Skype updated the android app very recently, and the update happens to suck ass. When I checked the ratings on the new release, I was greeted with a wall of 1-star reviews from aggravated users.

New Skype seems to have done away with status icons, and other useful features like user settings or the ability to scroll back to previous messages from awhile back by selecting an approximate time in the past to begin my search. I can’t see if my contacts are set to online or away, and the whole interface is clunky and poorly thought out. It also defaults calls to speaker phone if I don’t have my headphones in, and I (and other reviewers) can’t seem to change the settings... because, as I said above, there are no user settings anymore. -For odd some reason, I don’t want my calls broadcast to a library or restaurant full of people because I forgot to plug in my headphones first. I also want the HANG THE FUCK UP button to work (and work quickly and with 100% reliability) if I accidentally video call someone while I'm in the shower.

In short, Skype no longer services my needs as a messenger.

I know a lot of you use Skype and/or other messaging services, so I’m out looking for greener pastures. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new service? My understanding is that WhatsApp uses your phone number as your username, but I don’t want my phone number attached to the messaging service that I use for casual chat with internet buddies. Do you know of any good services that operate like “old skype”?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: New Skype update for Android
Slack is good for just messaging but you have to pay to have calls

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
19-06-2017, 02:27 PM
(19-06-2017 02:06 PM)Losty Wrote:  Slack is good for just messaging but you have to pay to have calls

I don't mind paying. Thanks for the lead. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
19-06-2017, 11:02 PM
THE NEW SKYPE IS GARBAGE

actually eats ass

no, eating ass would be a compliment

Skype and FB messenger are my main forms of communication with people. I use them more than standard phone calls and text messages, and you can also merge the two, and use FB messenger as a host for your sms and Skype as a host for your incoming/outgoing phone calls!

Now, I'm not so sure I want to use Skype as much anymore. It isn't as easy to use anymore. It's very cluttered. If you're Skyping someone (just chatting, no video) and you're simultaneously watching a video on another app, it puts your entire call on hold so that the person can't hear you at all and you can't hear them at all, which before if you did the same thing, you could continue conversing and the person chatting with you wouldn't hear feedback from your videos either.

It's absolutely awfulllllllll
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
19-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Fuck, that is really annoying Sad I mainly use Skype on my PC so haven't had that issue so far. But I can see it'll be coming. Microsoft are so bloody ham-fisted. They never bother listening to users. I guarantee this is them seeing dollar signs and forcing people to use their service one particular way. They're probably betting that enough of the world is locked into Skype that they can't easily change away from it, so they feel comfortable treating their users like shit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-06-2017, 04:54 AM
It seems it has affected PC version too, my whole contact list in now offline, I have contacts telling me they can't log in, because Skype keeps turning in an attempt to connect (I had the same problem yesterday and finally shut it down). It seems Microsoft is improving the shittiness of each updates, too bad because Skype is also my favorite messaging app, Whatsapp is ok, but I find Skype better (especially as the smilies on Skype are the best smilies I have ever seen in a messaging app !)
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
20-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Fucking Skype even dumped their iconic, charming, sing-song ring tone in favor of some horrid, jarring, buzzing ring.

No user settings. What kind of an app doesn't have user settings . Who does that??

I'm planning on testing ooVoo messenger today. According to its description, it also works with Facebook.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
20-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(20-06-2017 06:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Fucking Skype even dumped their iconic, charming, sing-song ring tone in favor of some horrid, jarring, buzzing ring.

No user settings. What kind of an app doesn't have user settings . Who does that??

I'm planning on testing ooVoo messenger today. According to its description, it also works with Facebook.

oh no, not the ring tone !
Apparently, for now, it is still the same ring tone on the computer version (which is finally working again since late afternoon).
I'll keep using Skype as I have most of professional contacts on it, but thanks for the tip, I'll switch to ooVoo if Skype becomes too much a pain.