New TED talk on death and afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 01:39 PM
New TED talk on death and afterlife
Pretty interesting TED Talk about death and views on the afterlife.

It's called The 4 Stories we tell ourselves about death.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: New TED talk on death and afterlife
Cant wait to watch it after work.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2013, 02:53 PM
The thing about death is that you lose the fear of it as you get older.

The fear of death is innate, it serves the preservation of the species. However, there comes a time when we lose the fear of death - when ours is imminent, because our bodies have become nothing but a burden, to us and to the species.

The sorrow of death belongs to the survivors, not to the dying.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
(12-12-2013 02:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  The thing about death is that you lose the fear of it as you get older.

The fear of death is innate, it serves the preservation of the species. However, there comes a time when we lose the fear of death - when ours is imminent, because our bodies have become nothing but a burden, to us and to the species.

You should look at this a different way. Is the physical loss when growing old worth dying for? Would you want to die just because you for example have bad back problems and incontinence? I certainly wouldn't want to cease existing forever just because of those problems. Also think of the great experiences you would still have to look forward too, grand children, scientific advances, interesting world events etc. Death should always be seen as a bad thing that nobody wants to happen.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
12-12-2013, 06:16 PM
(12-12-2013 06:00 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 02:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  The thing about death is that you lose the fear of it as you get older.

You should look at this a different way. Is the physical loss when growing old worth dying for? Would you want to die just because you for example have bad back problems and incontinence? I certainly wouldn't want to cease existing forever just because of those problems. Also think of the great experiences you would still have to look forward too, grand children, scientific advances, interesting world events etc. Death should always be seen as a bad thing that nobody wants to happen.

But I wasn't talking about incontinence and back problems, I was talking about the time preceding your natural death. There comes a time when your body is malfunctioning on serious levels. It tends to build up slowly, and you know where you are heading. And you know when you have reached the point of no return. By the time you get to that stage, death has become your friend.

What makes it hard is that your relatives don't want to hear that, and so most people shut up about how they feel about it.

Of course old people are also the ones who commit suicide most frequently, we always hear about confused teens doing it, but the vast majority is old people. Not everyone is content to tatter from the bed to the bathroom and back, and eat whatever a caretaker decides to give them, and feel pain with every move they make. Personally, I will choose my own exit time. When I am unable to take care of myself anymore, this life will hold no interest for me anymore. But I digress.

It is our nature to be scared of death when young and to welcome it when old. And that's a good thing, don't you think?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-12-2013, 06:33 PM
The lecture wasn't what I expected and was a tad of a letdown.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
12-12-2013, 06:49 PM

That's good to know. Personally I think of being dead as the same thing as being unborn. There was nothingness before I was born and that's where I'll be again someday.

The religious idea of eternal life is horrifying to me. I can't think of anything more hellish than continual existence.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
12-12-2013, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 08:39 PM by Diogenes of Mayberry.)
"You get to spend eternity in heaven with your family. Er, uh, ya, sheesh...I dunno, that doesn't sound very appealing to me."
- Julia Sweeney in her TED talk.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
12-12-2013, 08:38 PM
"The senselessness of death and our insatiable quest for meaning also gave rise to beliefs in an afterlife. Faith in an afterlife provides meaning to lives filled with uncertainty, the disappointments that arise from the existential realities of living, and the cognitive dissonance that is fueled by the knowledge of our inevitable deaths and consignment to oblivion. Believing in an afterlife allowed our brains to project its theory of mind beyond the grave, in order that we might stave off our irrational feelings of that eternal mental void."

- Diogenes of Mayberry, Psychology of Faith: The Human Quest for Meaning

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
12-12-2013, 08:47 PM
I would disagree with Dom. People fear death until the end, unless they are suffering, and even then they fear it, but the suffering is so great they just want it to be over. The older they get, especially believers, the more they cling to religion, just in case. I'll paraphrase Bill Cosby from Himself: My parents are not the same people I grew up with, they are old people who are trying to into heaven.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me