New Testament without the Old Testament ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2011, 09:53 AM
New Testament without the Old Testament ?
Because of its cruelty, craziness, and general absurdity, the Christian community continues to distance itself more and more from the Old Testament. My question is can they? Can they say the New Testament is the truth while completely discounting the Old Testament. I know Jesus changed some of the shit for them but did he erase it all?

For instance, can you reject the Adam and Eve premise and still believe in Jesus as the son of God? How about the Moses character? He's necessary to believe in the New Testament, right? I am only slightly familiar with each book so I am truly curious.

Thank you in advance for the education
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2011, 10:36 AM
RE: New Testament without the Old Testament ?
Sure why not? You think the new testament is full of rainbows and sunshine? Its not much better tbh, and they ignore all those parts too.
25-11-2011, 01:14 PM
If that's what it takes for christianity to survive this modern world, then yes.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaos MD's post
25-11-2011, 01:18 PM
What do you mean, can they?

There's a restriction to this delusion? What about the Rapture that they spun up from whole cloth with the assistance of a single line outta Thessalonians? What about the Revelation that has nothing to do with nothing other than a lunatic eating mushrooms in a cave? What about this "hell" thing?

Technically, no. The thread of scripture begins with Job - fua, Job covers the whole worx, Ecclesiastes provides the conclusion, and without Isaiah, Jesus is an entire fraud... but hey, when did that ever stop the lunacy?

Ever read the Koran? Conveniently lining up the angels before Adam in a staged tribute to overcome a previous century's contention of a serpent without a pedigree? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2011, 12:00 AM
(25-11-2011 09:53 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Because of its cruelty, craziness, and general absurdity, the Christian community continues to distance itself more and more from the Old Testament. My question is can they? Can they say the New Testament is the truth while completely discounting the Old Testament. I know Jesus changed some of the shit for them but did he erase it all?

For instance, can you reject the Adam and Eve premise and still believe in Jesus as the son of God? How about the Moses character? He's necessary to believe in the New Testament, right? I am only slightly familiar with each book so I am truly curious.

Thank you in advance for the education

Jesus was Jewish and Christianity was really started by PAUL.
It is true that Jesus used a Jewish approach; this was all he
really had to work with.
His message in Paul's epistles suggested that the world would
soon end.
All scripture is so muddled, contradictory and inept that HoC'S
reference to Revelations describes things pretty well.

Had Marcion, an early church founder had his way the O.T would
have been done away with. What then?

Another early leader Origen castrated himself to please God..........
This drastic action could have really nipped things in the bud....
26-11-2011, 09:28 AM
(25-11-2011 09:53 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Because of its cruelty, craziness, and general absurdity, the Christian community continues to distance itself more and more from the Old Testament.

Do they really try to distance themselves? Without eye-for-eye retribution, the flood, the exodus and the stoning of blasphemers, where would modern xtians get their venom? Without Moses' tablets, the excoriation of other religions and the genocidal attainment of the 'promised land', where would they get their justification for marauding across the globe? Without the ot condemnation of sex in any but a strictly procreative function, how would they persecute women and gays? Without the tradition of sacrificing sons and sheep, how would they excuse the crucifixion? Without Adam and Eve and original sin how would they explain redemption?
With just the new testament, how would the rich and powerful keep their ascendency?
In fact, every time they want to back up their absurdity, they turn to the old books, John's nightmare and Paul's letters.
If anything can be discarded, it's the four gospels.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
26-11-2011, 11:55 AM
On Thanksgiving, my bible-believing aunt was trying to convince me that homosexuality was evil. I pointed out that the New Testament didn't call it evil, and she agrees... it's in the Old Testament, and she said "it's all part of the bible."

So I gave her an example of hypocrisy. We both had ham on our plates, and I said, "the Old Testament would declare us both sinners for eating pig." She told me that this was a part of the Old Testament that had become obsolete with Jesus' resurrection. So I asked her to explain why Peter (in the book of Acts, which all takes place after Jesus' resurrection) was presented with a dream where several unclean animals were presented to him and he was told to eat. He said he would not. So who says that it's no longer sinful to eat pig?

She had no answer, but I didn't stop there. I asked her why Jesus' mother Mary didn't go to embalm him until Sunday morning, and she gave the right answer - "Mary couldn't work on the Sabbath, and had to wait until the Sabbath was over." So even observance of the Sabbath (Saturday) was still important even as Jesus lay dead. So why do Christians observe Sunday as a holy day instead? (Answer: Constantine? The Apostles? We don't know for sure.)

She changed the subject. It's an uncomfortable truth, that Christians cherry-pick the Old Testament, taking some truth and ignoring the rest. I'd also like to know what we would think about a tribe that had not heard of the bible getting their hands on the Old Testament only. If a tribe read the Old Testament, believed it, and then killed their witch doctor, would they be doing evil? If it's considered evil now, why aren't we allowed to remove parts of scripture or edit them? It seems silly that you'd need to the entire bible (much of which wasn't available until it was written, obviously) to put such commands from the Old Testament "into context".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote: Starcrash:
. I'd also like to know what we would think about a tribe that had not heard of the bible getting their hands on the Old Testament only.

It's called Israel, and we seem to think they're awesomely perfect in every way ... except, maybe in need of christening.

On the other hand, the Catholic church used to reserve the OT for priests only; catholic kids' bible was a little skinny thing, while we protestants had a big fat one - so there, hah! I don't know how that goes nowadays.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.