New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 08:17 PM
RE: New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus
(13-10-2016 07:37 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you little fuckhead, you started in with the information-free, polarizing posts that added nothing to the discussion.

So fuck off, troll.

And this folks, is a representative of the people who want you to trust them in public places with guns. Do you feel safer already?

No, this is representative of me telling a troll to fuck off. You are being intentionally annoying for no useful purpose.

So fuck off, troll.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 08:23 PM
(12-10-2016 07:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 03:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are enough guns in the U.S. for everyone to have at least one. [...]

Actually more Chas. The latest figures indicate that there are 112.6 guns per US resident.
Ingraham, Christopher (2015-10-05). "There are now more guns than people in the United States". The Washington Post.

Somebody needs to learn some math.
Find all posts by this user
13-10-2016, 08:35 PM
(13-10-2016 07:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  It's the whole cultural and availability thing still.

If there were no guns available, at all, those mad people would not be able to get hold of them so easily.

The problem then becomes collection.

Any solution, any solution, will by necessity be multi-generational.

I myself think that going forward, smart guns keyed by biometrics or RFID chips should be the only guns allowed manufacture. In company with that, regular psychological reviews of gun purchasers/owners should be mandated, the failure of which should result in the gun being disabled.

Of course, we'll have to buy back dumb guns. I'd be amenable to historic/collector exceptions, but most guns currently out and about in America should be required to be bought out during a sundown period based upon the gun's date of purchase.

Couple this with harsher penalties for illegal ownership, and over forty or fifty years, we will see reduced illicit access to guns, reduced ownership of guns by the mentally-imbalanced, and still allow law-abiding gun owners to pursue their interest.

I know already I'll catch flak from both sides of this debate, and that's cool.
13-10-2016, 08:35 PM
(13-10-2016 08:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Here's my valid reasons:

1. The M4 is the primary tool of my trade, but Army training standards are woefully inadequate, especially as a part time National Guardsman. We go to the range a few weekends per year if we're lucky. If I did not train on my own time, using a rifle nearly identical to my service rifle, I do not believe I'd be proficient enough to call myself an expert. For that, I am limited to civilian law regardless of what I use on the job. Those of us who don't practice in our off time pretty much set the standard for the stereotypical useless weekend warrior.

2. Just to piss people like you guys off. Yes, that's a valid reason.

3. Because the range is one of the few places I'm at ease. I didn't ask to be a warrior in a world full of hippies. I was born this way and I don't appreciate being discriminated against.

4. The zombies are coming.

5. The commies are coming.

6. While overall the violent crime rate is continuing to decline, gang activity and general subcultural division is on the rise. I've been in places where the government has collapsed so I know firsthand both how shitty things can get and.how mistaken the people are who like to believe it couldn't happen. Again, if I were in a very different context, such as an isolated location with a relatively homogenous culture like Iceland, I wouldn't be concerned. But I do not trust the ability of the US government to keep things from going to shit.

7. Because shooting rabbits with a high capacity AR is fucking hysterical. Okay, I don't actually do that, nor do I see a reason to, but I prefer options.

You confirm my arguments for me.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
13-10-2016, 08:49 PM
(13-10-2016 08:35 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Here's my valid reasons:

1. The M4 is the primary tool of my trade, but Army training standards are woefully inadequate, especially as a part time National Guardsman. We go to the range a few weekends per year if we're lucky. If I did not train on my own time, using a rifle nearly identical to my service rifle, I do not believe I'd be proficient enough to call myself an expert. For that, I am limited to civilian law regardless of what I use on the job. Those of us who don't practice in our off time pretty much set the standard for the stereotypical useless weekend warrior.

2. Just to piss people like you guys off. Yes, that's a valid reason.

3. Because the range is one of the few places I'm at ease. I didn't ask to be a warrior in a world full of hippies. I was born this way and I don't appreciate being discriminated against.

4. The zombies are coming.

5. The commies are coming.

6. While overall the violent crime rate is continuing to decline, gang activity and general subcultural division is on the rise. I've been in places where the government has collapsed so I know firsthand both how shitty things can get and.how mistaken the people are who like to believe it couldn't happen. Again, if I were in a very different context, such as an isolated location with a relatively homogenous culture like Iceland, I wouldn't be concerned. But I do not trust the ability of the US government to keep things from going to shit.

7. Because shooting rabbits with a high capacity AR is fucking hysterical. Okay, I don't actually do that, nor do I see a reason to, but I prefer options.

You confirm my arguments for me.

nuh-uh

'Murican Canadian
13-10-2016, 08:50 PM
(13-10-2016 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 07:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  It's the whole cultural and availability thing still.

If there were no guns available, at all, those mad people would not be able to get hold of them so easily.

The problem then becomes collection.

I myself think that going forward, smart guns keyed by biometrics or RFID chips should be the only guns allowed manufacture. In company with that, regular psychological reviews of gun purchasers/owners should be mandated, the failure of which should result in the gun being disabled.

Of course, we'll have to buy back dumb guns. I'd be amenable to historic/collector exceptions, but most guns currently out and about in America should be required to be bought out during a sundown period based upon the gun's date of purchase.

Couple this with harsher penalties for illegal ownership, and over forty or fifty years, we will see reduced illicit access to guns, reduced ownership of guns by the mentally-imbalanced, and still allow law-abiding gun owners to pursue their interest.

I do actually recognise the problems, perhaps impossibility, of safely recalling all weapons, Thump, but that does not actually destroy my argument that the gun culture, or the "national personality" that maintains it, is the root of many ills in America.

Hmm, makes it pointless to argue for the unsolvable, and thus makes one open to being accused of trollism, with some justifcation. After a while it just becomes a futile mental exercise. I like and miss such mental exercise, no pub discussion/debating groups round here.

Also causes bruising to forehead, severe head aches and, as tonight, insomnia (0345 and two hours sleep so far).

Note to self: stay out of arguments after 9 pm.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
13-10-2016, 08:53 PM
(13-10-2016 08:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The problem then becomes collection.

I do actually recognise the oroblems, perhaps impossibility, of safely recalling all weapons, Thump, but that does not actually destroy my argument that the gun culture is the root of many ills in America.

Hmm, makes it pointless to argue for the unsolvable, and thus makes one open to being accused of trollism, with some justifcation. After a while it just becomes a futile mental exercise. I like and miss such mental exercise, no pub discussion/debating groups round here.

Also causes bruising to forehead, severe head aches and, as tonight, insomnia (0345 and two hours sleep so far).

I'll come troll your dreams.

'Murican Canadian
13-10-2016, 09:07 PM
(13-10-2016 08:16 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:05 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  You said it, and it's a feedback situation, the worse it gets the worse it gets.

Except it isn't getting worse. Crime rates in the US, including violent crime rates, are going down.

Yes, missed that. But what is the long term picture?

What effect will the present political farce have on policy and legislation and the ability to apply either of those in a positive, rather than restrictive, manner?

What effect will the current spate of blacks being killed have?

Our British Crime Survey also indicates certain crimes falling but . . . There have been mutterings about changing goal posts.

Still, it is your country and you have the right to run it as you wish. Might be a good idea to learn Russian and/or Chinese though. And keep those guns handy for forming resistance groups.

13-10-2016, 09:15 PM
(13-10-2016 09:07 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:16 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Except it isn't getting worse. Crime rates in the US, including violent crime rates, are going down.

Yes, missed that. But what is the long term picture?

What effect will the present political farce have on policy and legislation and the ability to apply either of those in a positive, rather than restrictive, manner?

What effect will the current spate of blacks being killed have?

Our British Crime Survey also indicates certain crimes falling but . . . There have been mutterings about changing goal posts.

Still, it is your country and you have the right to run it as you wish. Might be a good idea to learn Russian and/or Chinese though. And keep those guns handy for forming resistance groups.

If either of these clowns gets elected we're one step closer to fracturing regardless of what policies they enact or nullify.

'Murican Canadian
13-10-2016, 09:55 PM
(13-10-2016 08:53 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  I do actually recognise the oroblems, perhaps impossibility, of safely recalling all weapons, Thump, but that does not actually destroy my argument that the gun culture is the root of many ills in America.

I'll come troll your dreams.

The level of implied violence in that post from you actually surprised me, yakherder.

But, never mind.