New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 06:53 AM
RE: New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus
(12-10-2016 06:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Past age 10 I usually carried a rifle to the homeschool co-op I went to in Alaska, as did the dozen or so other kids in my class. Back in the public school I went to in Washington they had metal detectors. One of those two contexts was a nice, relaxed learning environment where we'd occasionally go shoot some targets during lunch. The other was a cesspool of gang violence where teachers getting threatened with knives was not unheard of.

Mainstream culture has fucked our schools whether there are guns in them or not. It really doesn't matter either way as far as safety of the students is concerned.

Nice anecdote. But let me ask you, what would the second school be like if anybody could bring a gun to class.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 06:54 AM
(12-10-2016 06:53 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:51 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Past age 10 I usually carried a rifle to the homeschool co-op I went to in Alaska, as did the dozen or so other kids in my class. Back in the public school I went to in Washington they had metal detectors. One of those two contexts was a nice, relaxed learning environment where we'd occasionally go shoot some targets during lunch. The other was a cesspool of gang violence where teachers getting threatened with knives was not unheard of.

Mainstream culture has fucked our schools whether there are guns in them or not. It really doesn't matter either way as far as safety of the students is concerned.

Nice anecdote. But let me ask you, what would the second school be like if anybody could bring a gun to class.

A cesspool of gang violence. No difference.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 07:06 AM
(12-10-2016 06:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:53 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Nice anecdote. But let me ask you, what would the second school be like if anybody could bring a gun to class.

A cesspool of gang violence. No difference.

I was hoping for a serious answer. Oh well.
12-10-2016, 07:06 AM

I could suggest that student safety is potentially challenged with or without guns in some locations and school types America by what I see and hear, in here, in Wiki and in the media, is far more violent than Europe. The media I read even more sceptically than I read the arguments here. I am becoming to be able to read the biases expressed on this forum.

So, partly cultural thing, Lots of gun culture there, very, very little here. Less general violence as well unless there is a lot of incident hiding going on here.

All part of The Great American Way?

When is Texas going to secede any way? Any book on that over there?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
12-10-2016, 07:17 AM
(12-10-2016 07:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  A cesspool of gang violence. No difference.

I was hoping for a serious answer. Oh well.

What else is there? Gun rights advocates want to believe the schools are made safer with more relaxed carry laws. Gun control advocates want to believe they are made safer with more restrictive laws. The reality is that our problems run deeper than either stance is likely to affect.

In one of my anecdotal contexts, we all know each other and live more or less as equals and the presence of guns is irrelevant. Just an inanimate object we throw on the shelf as we come in because having it around is just habit. In the other anecdotal context there is a feeling of anonymity in the midst of a subculture clash between people who inherently dislike and resent each other, however irrational and arbitrary their reasons might be. For a large segment of the students violence is a way of life whether the school tries in vain to prohibit the weapons or not.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-10-2016, 07:20 AM
As far as this thread is concerned in regards to campus carry laws, I doubt it will significantly affect probability of being shot at school one way or another.

'Murican Canadian
12-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Yakherder wrote:
Quote:The reality is that our problems run deeper than either stance is likely to affect.

100% with you there.

But it will never be fixed until a law totally prohibiting gun ownership (excepting farmers, private guards etc, all with gov't recognised training and certification...), and all the subsequent mayhem that the application of that law might entail is over.

Then it's very heavy fines or imprisonment for offences.

Can't make sufflès without breaking eggs.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
12-10-2016, 07:34 AM
(12-10-2016 07:27 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yakherder wrote:
Quote:The reality is that our problems run deeper than either stance is likely to affect.

100% with you there.

But it will never be fixed until a law totally prohibiting gun ownership (excepting farmers, private guards etc, all with gov't recognised training and certification...), and all the subsequent mayhem that the application of that law might entail is over.

Then it's very heavy fines or imprisonment for offences.

Can't make sufflès without breaking eggs.

The solution to our problem lies neither in gun control nor increased gun proliferation.

'Murican Canadian
12-10-2016, 07:36 AM
If the guns were irrelevant in the Alaskan school, why did you bring them up?
12-10-2016, 07:37 AM
(12-10-2016 07:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  If the guns were irrelevant in the Alaskan school, why did you bring them up?

Because the fact that we had them didn't decrease the perception of safety.

'Murican Canadian