New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 07:44 AM
RE: New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus
(12-10-2016 07:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 07:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  If the guns were irrelevant in the Alaskan school, why did you bring them up?

Because the fact that we had them didn't decrease the perception of safety.
So not irrelevant.

Let's look at a rather mundane event, a basketball game. Lakers vs. Knicks, one team going for a slot in the play-offs, the other a spoiler. One player "accidentally" breaks a star player's leg, putting him out for the rest of the season. (I saw this happen back in the '80s, not the teams mentioned above, however.) Now, these days a fight might break out in the stands, maybe several. But if everybody was armed what would happen?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 07:53 AM
(12-10-2016 07:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 07:27 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yakherder wrote:

100% with you there.

But it will never be fixed until a law totally prohibiting gun ownership (excepting farmers, private guards etc, all with gov't recognised training and certification...), and all the subsequent mayhem that the application of that law might entail is over.

Then it's very heavy fines or imprisonment for offences.

Can't make suffl├Ęs without breaking eggs.

The solution to our problem lies neither in gun control nor increased gun proliferation.

I repeat, the total removal of legal private ownership - except in specific, highly regulated situations - with severe punishments for infringement, has got to remove much of the possibility of illegal access that causes most of the fear and incidents.

Gives your police every excuse to shoot first where guns are involved, they have to be either illegal or being used in an illegal manner (not on a farm for pest control or privately guarded property during an intruder incident for eg) automatically.

This, I understand, requires more thinking about, obviously, but then only sure way to fix a problem is to totally remove it and plan for the reduction of any new problems that removal might stir up or leave.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 08:05 AM by yakherder.)
(12-10-2016 07:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 07:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Because the fact that we had them didn't decrease the perception of safety.
So not irrelevant.

Let's look at a rather mundane event, a basketball game. Lakers vs. Knicks, one team going for a slot in the play-offs, the other a spoiler. One player "accidentally" breaks a star player's leg, putting him out for the rest of the season. (I saw this happen back in the '80s, not the teams mentioned above, however.) Now, these days a fight might break out in the stands, maybe several. But if everybody was armed what would happen?

There is insufficient data to predict what would happen so the best I can provide is another anecdotal example. During extended field training when sleep deprivation is a thing and tempers are flaring fights are inevitable. Despite carrying everything ranging from grenade launchers to tomahawks, they are always fist fights. A few months back two privates carrying M4s and about 300 rounds of ammunition got in a fight that resulted in one head butting the other and breaking his nose. Despite being an aggressive, known trouble maker, it never crossed his mind to take his life.

In any case, if you can't trust a large group of people not to kill each other over something as ridiculous as a sporting event, I'd suggest that the culture driving their actions isn't worth saving anyway.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-10-2016, 08:16 AM
In point of fact there have been murders at sporting events, and I don't doubt you know this. The more guns, the more likely there will be homicides when beer, excitement and stupid merge.
12-10-2016, 08:19 AM
(12-10-2016 08:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  In point of fact there have been murders at sporting events, and I don't doubt you know this. The more guns, the more likely there will be homicides when beer, excitement and stupid merge.

Why do they allow beer?

'Murican Canadian
12-10-2016, 08:26 AM
(12-10-2016 08:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  In point of fact there have been murders at sporting events, and I don't doubt you know this. The more guns, the more likely there will be homicides when beer, excitement and stupid merge.

And there have been far more non-firearm deaths at sporting events than shootings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
(12-10-2016 08:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

Why do they allow beer?

Why do they allow stupid?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
(12-10-2016 08:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

Why do they allow beer?

Money.
12-10-2016, 08:27 AM
(12-10-2016 08:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  

And there have been far more non-firearm deaths at sporting events than shootings.

Because access to firearms was more limited.
12-10-2016, 08:31 AM
(12-10-2016 08:26 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 08:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Why do they allow beer?

Money.

Why not further increase their revenue by selling novelty ammunition, holsters, and tourniquets?

'Murican Canadian