New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: New Texas gun control law allows concealed guns on campus
(12-10-2016 02:40 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  This is incredibly naive. Guns are easily concealable and readily available to criminals.

I'm speculating here (because I don't know much at all about the subject), but it wouldn't surprise me if a criminal could obtain a gun quicker and easier than a law-abiding citizen (assuming, of course, that neither party already has a gun).
It's obviously harder for criminals to get guns if there aren't so many in circulation and its harder to walk around with them if it is illegal to do so and hence not common place and especially if handguns are rare in your country.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
12-10-2016, 03:30 PM
(12-10-2016 03:20 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  The right to have a firearm is not unrestrained. No rights are.

I agree. But more guns means more opportunities for seriously dangerous people to get guns.

While that sounds logical, there is no practicable way to insure that dangerous people don't get them.
There are enough guns in the U.S. for everyone to have at least one. They can be covertly manufactured, they can be smuggled.

We have laws and procedures for obtaining them legally. Let's address the ease with which they're obtained illegally.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
(12-10-2016 03:27 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 02:40 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm speculating here (because I don't know much at all about the subject), but it wouldn't surprise me if a criminal could obtain a gun quicker and easier than a law-abiding citizen (assuming, of course, that neither party already has a gun).
It's obviously harder for criminals to get guns if there aren't so many in circulation and its harder to walk around with them if it is illegal to do so and hence not common place and especially if handguns are rare in your country.

But in the US, the horses are already out of the corral, or you can't unring a bell, or whatever metaphor you want to use. There are millions of guns in circulation, and even if you could outlaw guns right now today, many (most?) of those guns would remain in circulation for many years. And outlawing guns? That's a pipe dream. However much some individuals may want to do that, it's totally unrealistic in today's US. There are too many people who believe that owning guns is a basic right. It's even in our Constitution, and changing that is not trivial. Among other things, a majority (a 2/3 majority, I believe) of the states have to vote to do it, and that ain't gonna happen with the 2nd amendment. Not any time soon.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-10-2016, 04:06 PM
(12-10-2016 05:39 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 05:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah - must be a bad idea --- since all those "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signs went up -- there hasn't been ANY problems.....
Rolleyes

And why did the signs have to be put in the first place?

How many shootings have happened in Texas colleges since the law took effect on 1 Aug 2016?

Link your source.
12-10-2016, 04:11 PM
(12-10-2016 03:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 03:20 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I agree. But more guns means more opportunities for seriously dangerous people to get guns.

While that sounds logical, there is no practicable way to insure that dangerous people don't get them.
There are enough guns in the U.S. for everyone to have at least one. They can be covertly manufactured, they can be smuggled.

We have laws and procedures for obtaining them legally. Let's address the ease with which they're obtained illegally.
Ardent gunners talk about me demanding perfect scenarios. Laugh out load
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 04:15 PM
(12-10-2016 07:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 07:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Because the fact that we had them didn't decrease the perception of safety.
So not irrelevant.

Let's look at a rather mundane event, a basketball game. Lakers vs. Knicks, one team going for a slot in the play-offs, the other a spoiler. One player "accidentally" breaks a star player's leg, putting him out for the rest of the season. (I saw this happen back in the '80s, not the teams mentioned above, however.) Now, these days a fight might break out in the stands, maybe several. But if everybody was armed what would happen?

Let's sacrifice a real right for a hypothetical situation, sure.
12-10-2016, 04:20 PM
(12-10-2016 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 05:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah - must be a bad idea --- since all those "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signs went up -- there hasn't been ANY problems.....
Rolleyes

I've never seen one in any of our schools.

No drugs, no tobacco

Never saw one mentioning guns.

My son attended schools throughout his 12+ years which each had "no weapons allowed" signs, with a pictograph of a gun, alongside a knife, on it.
12-10-2016, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 04:41 PM by Stevil.)
(12-10-2016 04:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've never seen one in any of our schools.

No drugs, no tobacco

Never saw one mentioning guns.

My son attended schools throughout his 12+ years which each had "no weapons allowed" signs, with a pictograph of a gun, alongside a knife, on it.
When I went to school, we didn't need those signs, where I come from people just kind of assume that you don't takes knives and guns to school. I mean, you know, your there to learn math, science and english and stuff. Bag, pencils, books, lunchbox are much more useful for that.

Perhaps in US it's not so obvious.
12-10-2016, 04:45 PM
(12-10-2016 04:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 04:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My son attended schools throughout his 12+ years which each had "no weapons allowed" signs, with a pictograph of a gun, alongside a knife, on it.
When I went to school, we didn't need those signs, where I come from people just kind of assume that you don't takes knives and guns to school. I mean, you know, your there to learn math, science and english and stuff. Bag, pencils, books, lunchbox are much more useful for that.

Well, in Texas especially, there's quite a gun culture, and without the signs, it might have been assumed that it was OK to bring guns to school. In your country (and in much of the US), it's just the opposite -- it's assumed that you can't, so no need for signs.

Laugh out load
12-10-2016, 05:01 PM
(12-10-2016 04:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 04:20 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My son attended schools throughout his 12+ years which each had "no weapons allowed" signs, with a pictograph of a gun, alongside a knife, on it.

Well, duh, Capt Obvious. Times change, and you live in a different culture. If you want to criticize the culture, fair game. But unless you have to actually deal with this issue, you should probably shut the fuck up, because you don't know what it's like and are only commenting to foment, not inform.

tl/dr: troll moar, shit's weak, 3/10