New Theories on the Origin of Life with Dr. Eric Smith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 02:45 PM
New Theories on the Origin of Life with Dr. Eric Smith
This was a fascinating lecture:

Some highlights:

1. It is not useful to create a distinction between life and non-life, it is better to view it as a channel for directing energy. Natural processes do this, such as lightning, life is just a more complex way of channeling this energy.

2. Hydrothermal vents are examples of life that do not use light or depend on oxygen, this is a significant difference from life that depends on oxygen and light.

3. Hydrothermal vents are essentially isolated systems, widely separated vents are basically an example of consistent life-producing mechanisms at work independently.

4. These conditions for life at these hydrothermal vents are likely to be fully replicated in other planetary environments. (Europa and Enceladus for example)

Any environment that has heat and chemicals mixing due to geological forces is likely to produce biology at that mixing point.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-05-2017, 02:53 PM
RE: New Theories on the Origin of Life with Dr. Eric Smith
(25-05-2017 02:45 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  1. It is not useful to create a distinction between life and non-life, it is better to view it as a channel for directing energy. Natural processes do this, such as lightning, life is just a more complex way of channeling this energy.

Not useful for what? Trying to explain how life arose? Because if he's talking about *anything* else, I can think of a *million* "uses" for being able to tell the difference between a rock and a person (though, granted, with some people it's sometimes rather difficult Dodgy ) And yes, there *is* one.

Came across this the other day, btw. Found it rather interesting

[Image: s41559-017-0138-f1.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Dr. Smith points out that all life is an example of taking energy from a source, so from that perspective, the 2nd law of thermodynamics BS thrown around by creationists is a fundamental misunderstanding about what life is.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-05-2017, 03:02 PM
(25-05-2017 02:53 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 02:45 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  1. It is not useful to create a distinction between life and non-life, it is better to view it as a channel for directing energy. Natural processes do this, such as lightning, life is just a more complex way of channeling this energy.

Not useful for what? Trying to explain how life arose? Because if he's talking about *anything* else, I can think of a *million* "uses" for being able to tell the difference between a rock and a person (though, granted, with some people it's sometimes rather difficult Dodgy ) And yes, there *is* one.

Came across this the other day, btw. Found it rather interesting

[Image: s41559-017-0138-f1.jpg]

Ultimately life is characterized from his point of view, as an energy process at it's most basic level. At that level, the distinction is between life and non-life is rather moot. He uses a lightning bolt as an example of something that channels energy, lightning is not considered as living of course, but when you break down the components of living systems, they ultimately reduce to a system that channels energy from it's environment.

I'm not sure I'm giving his explanation full justice, he's proposing a new way to view the process of life at it's most basic level.

At the most basic level of biochemistry it is just a way of channeling energy, but it does so in a more complex fashion than a non-living system.

25-05-2017, 03:03 PM
And why should I care about his point of view more than the rest of the entirety of human sciences? In what way is it helping us reach greater understanding of... well, I guess life wouldn't be the mot juste here, would it...

(Not been snarky, asking seriously)

25-05-2017, 03:07 PM
(25-05-2017 03:03 PM)Vera Wrote:  And why should I care about his point of view more than the rest of the entirety of human sciences?

(Not been snarky, asking seriously)

You're not obligated to. I find it fascinating, because I'm fascinated about the implications of life in other planetary environments.

[Image: ALIENS-guy.jpg]

25-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Quote:I'm fascinated about the implications of life in other planetary environments

Yeah, but didn't you just say that technically, there ain't no such thing as life, no sirree Wink

Have you seen Hawking's epi on Aliens? Quite enjoyed it, myself.

(I don't much care for Cumberwhatshisface, but he makes for a good narrator)

25-05-2017, 03:17 PM
(25-05-2017 03:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, but didn't you just say that technically, there ain't no such thing as life, no sirree Wink

Haha, touche!

Alas, I am constrained by my old way of thinking. Big Grin

25-05-2017, 03:23 PM
I've always said in my arguments with religionists, when they talk about the "absurdity" of *abiogenesis*, that there is no absolute boundary between life and non-life. Ex: viruses. They replicate, but are not considered "alive".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-05-2017, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2017 03:31 PM by Vera.)
But there *is* between a rock and a hard place clam. You're just messing with their ignorant heads, is what you're doing, Bucky, dearest.

The boundary may be murky at the... well, the boundary but it's there and pretending it ain't, ain't helping nothing. At least I still fail to see how it's helping *anything*