New Theories on the Origin of Life with Dr. Eric Smith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: New Theories on the Origin of Life with Dr. Eric Smith
(25-05-2017 08:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  Okay, for the last time - I did say, like a hundred (or three or four Rolleyes ) times, that it - might - make sense if he was talking *only* about abiogenesis. Jeez, guys!

Also, haven't given it too much attention, but there's a certain Gaia feel to it which made me wary. May be wrong, though.

Did you watch the video?

Go to 50:30 in the video, the Dr. addresses this more eloquently than I could.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2017, 08:44 PM
I think you mean before 50:30, the bit at 50:30 deals with something else entirely (and I did like it)

The bit before that... um, no, I was more impressed with/convinced by Bucky's and Paleophyte's replies actually. And the whiff of the Gaia hypothesis just got stronger, sorry.

But hey, man, that's just like, my opinion Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2017, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 04:51 AM by TheInquisition.)
(25-05-2017 08:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  I think you mean before 50:30, the bit at 50:30 deals with something else entirely (and I did like it)

The bit before that... um, no, I was more impressed with/convinced by Bucky's and Paleophyte's replies actually. And the whiff of the Gaia hypothesis just got stronger, sorry.

But hey, man, that's just like, my opinion Rolleyes

I didn't get the impression he was appealing to any kind of woo. I thought he was proposing a different perspective on how to view life, which was demystifying it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-05-2017, 04:54 AM
(25-05-2017 07:31 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 04:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  How do we get water that doesn't have oxygen in it? Consider

By distinguishing between the oxygen bound into the molecule (H2O) and the oxygen dissolved in the water (O2). The latter is available for aerobic respiration but the former is not. Breaking oxygen out of water molecules requires a lot of energy.

And this is common?
26-05-2017, 04:56 AM
Quote:which was demystifying it

I hardly think what sciences do is "mistify" life.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
26-05-2017, 03:03 PM
(26-05-2017 04:54 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 07:31 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  By distinguishing between the oxygen bound into the molecule (H2O) and the oxygen dissolved in the water (O2). The latter is available for aerobic respiration but the former is not. Breaking oxygen out of water molecules requires a lot of energy.

And this is common?

Very. Most marine life requires dissolved O2 to survive. A few types are obligate anaerobes and require its absence. The dissolved oxygen levels are what is critical to their respiration. The oxygen bound up in water molecules is useless to them.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.