New To Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 08:38 PM
New To Forum
Hello everybody. I'am new to this forum. I have started reading on atheism and watching debates. I'am intrigued as a theist by the theory of evolution.

I posted on another atheist forum and debated but was eventually banned because the forum was only open to atheists. I didn't realise at the time of registering. So I hope we are free as theists to discuss and debate issues on here.

I do not have an atheist friend to discuss with therefore I decided to join a forum.

I read Michael Denton's work on evolution theory as well as Michael J Behe. Recently I started reading upon the counter arguments from the talkorigins website.

So it will be interesting to get information from well informed atheists on here!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 10:38 PM
RE: New To Forum
Welcome. Yes, we allow theists to post here. Be aware we're pretty much heard everything more than a few times.

Good luck to you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Guess I'll take the bullet.
What are your thoughts on evolution?
16-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums! Smile

My advice? Try and find some science sites to peruse. The places you've listed? Yah.... not much useful information from them.

Much cheers to all.
17-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Welcome, OA, to our little corner of scepticism.

I admire your approach. I did the same thing when I first heard that there were people who didn't accept evolution.

I tried to keep an open mind when reading about ID but I suspect that all those years of David Attenborough, Douglas Adams, BBC bias etc. makes it hard to see wisdom in such an obscure idea.

Bravo for staying objective

Smile

17-05-2015, 02:26 AM
Talkorigins has a lot of good information in it.

Behe, not so much.

Enjoy the forum.
17-05-2015, 03:00 AM
(16-05-2015 08:38 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  Hello everybody. I'am new to this forum. I have started reading on atheism and watching debates. I'am intrigued as a theist by the theory of evolution.

I posted on another atheist forum and debated but was eventually banned because the forum was only open to atheists. I didn't realise at the time of registering. So I hope we are free as theists to discuss and debate issues on here.

I do not have an atheist friend to discuss with therefore I decided to join a forum.

I read Michael Denton's work on evolution theory as well as Michael J Behe. Recently I started reading upon the counter arguments from the talkorigins website.

So it will be interesting to get information from well informed atheists on here!

G'day and welcome to the forum. I hope your stay is an educative and insightful one.

May I ask, what exactly you find 'intriguing' about evolutionary theory?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-05-2015, 03:10 AM
(16-05-2015 08:38 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  I read Michael Denton's work on evolution theory as well as Michael J Behe. Recently I started reading upon the counter arguments from the talkorigins website.

Behe? The guy that in federal court (Kitzmiller v. Dover Board of Education) stated that science would never be able to explain the evolution of the immune system, where upon a stack of over 60 research papers and texts books presenting an evolutionary explanation and supporting evidence for the development of the immune system was place on the bench right before his eyes, whereupon he dismissed all of it without nary a glance claiming that it "still wasn't good enough". Dodgy

By the way, 'intelligent design' lost the case, and the judge ruled that it was in effect 'creationism in a lab-coat' and could not be taught in public school science classes; because it was not science.

There is a reason why he writes books for the popular press instead of working on research papers, because those involved in 'intelligent design' don't do research. The Discovery Institute? Zero research. They claim prior research done buy their members, but the Discovery Institute itself hasn't done anything outside of a linguistic program that attempted to simulate the evolution of Japanese kanji characters.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-05-2015, 03:18 AM
(17-05-2015 03:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 08:38 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  I read Michael Denton's work on evolution theory as well as Michael J Behe. Recently I started reading upon the counter arguments from the talkorigins website.

Behe? The guy that in federal court (Kitzmiller v. Dover Board of Education) stated that science would never be able to explain the evolution of the immune system, where upon a stack of over 60 research papers and texts books presenting an evolutionary explanation and supporting evidence for the development of the immune system was place on the bench right before his eyes, whereupon he dismissed all of it without nary a glance claiming that it "still wasn't good enough". Dodgy

By the way, 'intelligent design' lost the case, and the judge ruled that it was in effect 'creationism in a lab-coat' and could not be taught in public school science classes; because it was not science.

There is a reason why he writes books for the popular press instead of working on research papers, because those involved in 'intelligent design' don't do research. The Discovery Institute? Zero research. They claim prior research done buy their members, but the Discovery Institute itself hasn't done anything outside of a linguistic program that attempted to simulate the evolution of Japanese kanji characters.

I'll add that his own university has issued statements in opposition to him.

And that during the trial, he tried to present a paper which was shown to actually support evolution.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your stay.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí