New To Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: New To Forum
(18-05-2015 06:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  'Cos we fucking feel like it, ya pommy bastard Wink

Aw, fair suck of the saveloy, mate. "Ya pommy bastard" is a term of affection!

Non-Aussies are sometimes shocked at how we address each other. When I was teaching tertiary maths, I was once sitting in the staff room next to a mate and the head of the department walked in, saw us, and said "I've been looking for you two. You're a pair of dickheads." To which my mate said "Why's that, (name)?" and i said "Have you only just worked that out?" Sitting close to us was an exchange lecturer from Canada. He fully expected a fist fight. Instead he got jokes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
18-05-2015, 11:09 AM
(18-05-2015 10:58 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Non-Aussies are sometimes shocked at how we address each other.
I learned that from a couple Aussie buddies. People were shocked when I'd ask one, "How are you, ya cunt?" or "Stop being a bitch and listen." We had to explain that using a certain "Nword" Gasp wasn't as accepted here.
18-05-2015, 11:17 AM
(18-05-2015 11:09 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 10:58 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Non-Aussies are sometimes shocked at how we address each other.
I learned that from a couple Aussie buddies. People were shocked when I'd ask one, "How are you, ya cunt?" or "Stop being a bitch and listen." We had to explain that using a certain "Nword" Gasp wasn't as accepted here.

Yeah, it's all in the intonation. "You pommy bastard" to an English friend is perfectly acceptable when said with a smile on your face. The same expression used in a different way might well lead to some fisticuffs.

And I, personally, wouldn't use the n-word. But I've heard it used.
18-05-2015, 11:33 AM
(17-05-2015 06:43 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 06:13 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Oh, forgot to ask....

if you're really sick, do you go to a doctor?

It would be essential to go to a doctor. I'm all for science and medicine.

To quote yourself "Majority of people cannot verify these facts but must conform to the scientific clergy. Reminds of the Church."

So, you can verify all the facts about medical treatment? I'm impressed.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
18-05-2015, 11:40 AM
OT

do you ever walk or drive over a bridge? Ever get on a plane?

If so, aren't you just following the scientific clergy? Have you, personally, confirmed the science behind these constructions.

Or, just possibly, you're using your brain and seeing that bridges don't collapse very often and planes don't crash too often
18-05-2015, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 01:30 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(18-05-2015 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 05:32 AM)objectivetheist Wrote:  Relativity, uncertainty and math of Dirac being illogical is how religious people debate that trinity is hard to comprehend.

I'm a strong believer in logic. However time relativity is not illogical.

Really ? I'm a PhD candidate in a Biblical Studies program, and I NEVER once heard that from religious people. You keep saying "theologians this and theologians that". You seem to actually know almost nothing about what theologians actually say or do, (especially your attempt to make supposed claims by scientists appear to be equivalent to what you claim theologians say. You really don't know what they say or how they talk about anything. You also cannot demonstrate I was quoting Augustine or Aquinas.
The fact that no one accepted Relativity until it was demonstrated, (that there is no absolute reference point in space-time is not "logical"). Is it logical that a three year old who goes into space, goes very very fast, and returns, arrives back to find the very same people it left much much older than it is ? No. AND NOT ONE person predicted this phenomenon FROM LOGIC ALONE, until Einstein's theory predicted it, (and NOT from Logic). You can "believe" in the tooth fairy or logic or the gods all you want. Without evidence they are all worthless. As Dr. Carroll pointed out (in the video you never watched) there are all kinds of logical systems that are totally consistent and correct "logically", but do not "obtain" in reality. Logic alone is not sufficient. It's very easy to demonstrate.

Something can "contain truth" (ie the Bible *could* be true) as a myth in the classical sense and be historiacally not at all true. Were the plays of Euripides "true". No. They were mythology. Did they contain "truth" ? Yes. In that sense the Bible *could* contain elements of *truth* yet be entirely false historically. So your childish simplistic questions you posed so far here are at the level of a child, (which is why I asked about your age).

BTW, define "eternal". In doing so use NO WORD or concept that invokes space-time. As far as we know right now, space-time is a property of this universe only. If you do, and your god NEED time to exists "eternally" then you have expleined nothing with your god(s). Define "exists" also, using no concept that invokes time.

Never ceases to amaze me how most creationists assume us dumb atheists don't know anything about religion. In most cases, I would submit that atheists know more than creationists do about religion, which is why we are atheists...it is an INFORMED, and EDUCATED decision. I also like their surprise when we school them on Christian doctrine, Hermeneutics, and biblical historicity. It is like they don't know many of us actually have degrees in religious studies, or extensive experience in theology. That is ok though, I enjoy dragging them around the schoolyard.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
18-05-2015, 01:18 PM
There is no friction between Christianity and evolution. It's all perceived by the indoctrinated Christian mainstream.

The dilemma is simply non-existent.

Evolution is FACT; one that I believe. And, that doesn't... in any way... hurt my faith.

I'm an Evolutionary Creationist. It's a form of Theistic Evolution.

If you're serious about this, go here.

That site will answer all your questions. It's founded and maintained by REAL scientists... not clowns like Hovind and Ham.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-05-2015, 01:26 PM
(18-05-2015 01:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is no friction between Christianity and evolution. It's all perceived by the indoctrinated Christian mainstream.

Evolution is FACT; one that I believe. And, that doesn't... in any way... hurt my faith.

That site will answer all your questions. It's founded and maintained by REAL scientists... not clowns like Hovind and Ham.

I've discussed this with several evolution-believing Christians. They can't see why it's a "problem".
18-05-2015, 01:27 PM
(18-05-2015 01:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is no friction between Christianity and evolution. It's all perceived by the indoctrinated Christian mainstream.

There is most certainly a conflict.
There is no evidence whatsoever that evolution needs any help from any gods.

It all works mechanically, algorithmically, without intent, without design, without goals.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-05-2015, 01:44 PM

How do Evolutionary Creationists deal with the concept of original sin? I know that was a problem in my church--in terms of why they were against evolution.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi