New To Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 07:01 AM
RE: New To Forum
(19-05-2015 06:30 AM)objectivetheist Wrote:  I will be back once I've read the books recommended and watched tge videos. In the mean time whats your opinion on Michael Dennet's Evolution: A Theory in Crisis?

Michael Denton

Wikipedia Wrote:Biologist and philosopher Michael Ghiselin described A Theory in Crisis as "a book by an author who is obviously incompetent, dishonest, or both — and it may be very hard to decide which is the case" and that his "arguments turn out to be flagrant instances of the fallacy of irrelevant conclusion."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2015, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 08:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
None of these questions have been addressed.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid783779

I propose that instead it would be of more use to discuss "Winnie the Pooh" by A.A. Milne.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2015, 08:28 AM
(19-05-2015 06:30 AM)objectivetheist Wrote:  I will be back once I've read the books recommended and watched tge videos. In the mean time whats your opinion on Michael Dennet's Evolution: A Theory in Crisis?

If he has a better explanation, and can show it with evidence, he'd be the next Noble Prize winner. He'd win all of the awards, be showered with praises and funding, his name forever recorded into the annals of history as one of our greatest minds.

The fact that he hasn't leads us to two conclusions. Either their is a globe spanning conspiracy consisting of hundreds of thousands of researchers, professors, teachers, biologists, and other trained and educated professionals who's intent it is to lie about the nature of biology for no discernible reason; or this author is an ignorant hack.

I could tell you which one of those two possibilities is far more probable, but I'm honestly not sure you can figure it out...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-05-2015, 08:33 AM
(19-05-2015 08:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

If he has a better explanation, and can show it with evidence, he'd be the next Noble Prize winner. He'd win all of the awards, be showered with praises and funding, his name forever recorded into the annals of history as one of our greatest minds.

The fact that he hasn't leads us to two conclusions. Either their is a globe spanning conspiracy consisting of hundreds of thousands of researchers, professors, teachers, biologists, and other trained and educated professionals who's intent it is to lie about the nature of biology for no discernible reason; or this author is an ignorant hack.

I could tell you which one of those two possibilities is far more probable, but I'm honestly not sure you can figure it out...

However the globe spanning conspiracy against correct spelling is undisputed fact...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2015, 08:50 AM
(19-05-2015 12:40 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 06:06 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  Anyone with basic science will know its mainly filling gaps. I'm not filling the gap with god but say: A- the evoltution model, as a whole, not valid, parts makes no sense and B- the whole theory, not valid parts, has very little evidence.

Yes scientific papers and appeal to authority can be cited, but evolution cannot explain how whole organisms were formed. I'm not saying the alternative is religion. Just saying evolution is incomplete.

Are you just trying to state that, in a very roundabout way, you accept "microevolution" but not "macroevolution"? The terms are in quotes for a reason.

Yeah, I really don't think this kid's understanding the time scale, here. I'll admit, it's not an easy thing to wrap your mind around at first. It's all tiny changes that gradually add up. Of course when you look at two branches of the evolutionary tree, they look insanely different, and it's hard to fathom, but a looooooooong time ago, they had a common ancestor somewhere. The time required is key, here.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
19-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Theists who oppose evolution just can't fathom anything beyond their own limits, as in age limits. They can't wrap their heads around geological time. They have no problem inventing an infinite god and thinking for him, but when it comes to grasping LUCA you may as well talk to a license plate.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
19-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm beginning to see why you were banned from the other forum.

Gasp
19-05-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 06:59 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-05-2015 06:16 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  The guy is a Nobel winner! Wow wee for you. (appeal to authority fallacy on your part).

Hmm. Very interesting. A guy says he puts his faith in "logic" yet is so completely ignorant of the subject that he doesn't even know what the "argument from authority" (argumentun ad vericundiam) "fallacy" actually is. Arguing from authority is legitimate. The fallacy is using an "authority" from a certain fleld, that is not in line with the main-stream authority in the field in question. So this fool doesn't even know how to spot one of the most common fallacies, yet claims to believe in "logic". Very interesting. Another fraud. The fact is, the majority position in science is overwhelmingly in favor of Evolution. Using an authority in line with that majority opinion, is the very opposite of the "argument from authority fallacy". Oh well. Yet another subject he knows nothing about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-05-2015, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 07:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-05-2015 03:51 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 03:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But you've mentioned no one else. You also accused me of arguing from Aquinas and Augustine when I wasn't. You didn't get that atheism and Evolution are not related questions. I have used no "ad hominem" attacks. You have brought criticism on yourself. Point out EXACTLY what 'falacies" I have used. Oh wait. You can't. Typical believer who starts whining "oh oh ad homs" when they have no other arguments.

I've mentioned the fallacies above. How they apply use your mind and make the correlation.

I was not saying you are quoting Augustine or Aquinas but saying your objection is in line with the dispute that the two had. Augustine believed in a personal God and Aquinas objected with the infinity argument. What I was telling you was that the argument would not apply to me as My concept of God is totally different.

Going back to the subject, my remarks regarding evolution are from my own thoughts. I would want to know how you dissect them.

Augustine was long dead by the time Aquinas was born. Kind of hard for them to have a "dispute" now isn't it ? You cannot reference even ONE text where they had the "dispute" you claim.

20-05-2015, 02:13 AM
(19-05-2015 06:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 03:51 PM)objectivetheist Wrote:  I've mentioned the fallacies above. How they apply use your mind and make the correlation.

I was not saying you are quoting Augustine or Aquinas but saying your objection is in line with the dispute that the two had. Augustine believed in a personal God and Aquinas objected with the infinity argument. What I was telling you was that the argument would not apply to me as My concept of God is totally different.

Going back to the subject, my remarks regarding evolution are from my own thoughts. I would want to know how you dissect them.

Augustine was long dead by the time Aquinas was born. Kind of hard for them to have a "dispute" now isn't it ? You cannot reference even ONE text where they had the "dispute" you claim.

Well there was trial of dead pope so maybe even such dispute is possibleWink And couldn't one of them disputing claims of other?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.