New User

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2010, 08:39 AM
New User
Hey everyone!

New to this forum. Just a little background about myself:

I was raised as a fundamentalist 7th Day Adventist. As I got older I started moving away from the conservative wing of the church towards a more liberal, progressive wing. (For info about SDA you can PM me). I started to question my beliefs in the SDA church and the teachings of the prophetess Ellen G. White. I rejected her teachings completely, and her claim as a divine prophet, but I was still an Adventist. After studying my particular faith (and taking courses in college in comparative world religions) I rejected all of the church doctrines all felt I could no longer call myself an Adventist, however I still felt like I needed to believe in something and I still believed in God. I turned to Judaism and was studying with a rabbi to convert. About 3/4 through my study I could not come to terms with the belief in God, I considered myself and Agnostic and finally became a "full fledged" atheist about a year ago.

This is only the condensed version of course.

P.S. The podcast Reasonable Doubts also helped me in my journey away from religion. They have a blog: http://www.doubtreligion.blogspot.com Two of them are actually professors at my college and I have taken their classes. They're really great!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
RE: New User
Welcome to the club, I myself was raised in a partially fundamentalist environment, although my parents were never religious. The teachers at my catholic school always made me read from and write lines from the bible because they said I was being a bad influence during religious studies.
I've gotten kicked out of at least 3 churches so far for seeking answers from members of the faith -all I got was dirty looks and the answer "god wills it"- being that there is no compelling proof from christianity and the bible never yielded any logical answers I was able to reject religion at a young age.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
(11-09-2010 08:50 AM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  -all I got was dirty looks and the answer "god wills it"-

That line, "God wills it" reminds me of that line in the movie The Kingdom lol
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey, welcome Sosa! I hope you enjoy your time here! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.