Not as good as Fallout 3
On Planet X, Fallout XVII is the best
[Show Results]

New Vegas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM

RE: New Vegas
(01-07-2011 05:29 AM)Filox Wrote:  Original Fallouts don't have any category to put them into, or any other game to compare them with, they are unique.

I realize you are a fan, though your claim is based on opinion rather than fact. Fallout 1-2 are not unique, as the sci-fi wasteland theme was used on many now nameless BBS text based games in the 80's (which predate even Wasteland which is an inspiration to the Fallout series). The game play in the title certainly looks like a host of other 90's games. I don't doubt the perks, etc are handled differently than other games (which don't have those types of things at all), though the graphics, UI, etc are all standard for the time period.

I'd like to play them, but older games typically do not work correctly on modern computers very well unless using a third party program. Your description of the turn based system means that it probably functions similar to Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, which was almost unplayable in turn based mode (due to how slow combat flow was) and real time mode was incredibly overpowered (could kill upwards of fifteen targets in as many seconds). If you are dying to super mutants in Fallout 3 and New Vegas it probably has more to do with your character build and weapons rather than the combat system itself.

In New Vegas (to bring the topic somewhat back on track) a character with 8 strength, 9 endurance, 10 or higher DT armor, chance's knife (or a fire axe) and medicine/melee as tag skills can raid the super mutant stronghold of Black Mountain at level 2-3 and use as few as 30 stimpaks if they utilize smart combat movement outside of VATS, namely the use of cover and items that block line of sight.
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
(01-07-2011 01:07 PM)Maskelyne Wrote:  In New Vegas (to bring the topic somewhat back on track) a character with 8 strength, 9 endurance, 10 or higher DT armor, chance's knife (or a fire axe) and medicine/melee as tag skills can raid the super mutant stronghold of Black Mountain at level 2-3 and use as few as 30 stimpaks if they utilize smart combat movement outside of VATS, namely the use of cover and items that block line of sight.

On that note, some enemy AI needs to be nuked, especially considering that they are supposed to be some of the most terrifying creatures in the wasteland.
An example being when I once killed a super mutant overlord in fallout 3 by strafing around it with a shotgun for about 20 minutes. I've done the same thing(though rarely) with deathclaws, its like fighting someone playing a console in 1986, they just don't have the look sensitivity to catch up with you.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree 100%. Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are incredibly easy games. I've had both on Very Hard
difficulty since I got them and they're still stupid easy. I downloaded a difficulty mod to make things more realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
02-07-2011, 05:33 AM

(01-07-2011 07:14 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(01-07-2011 01:07 PM)Maskelyne Wrote:  In New Vegas (to bring the topic somewhat back on track) a character with 8 strength, 9 endurance, 10 or higher DT armor, chance's knife (or a fire axe) and medicine/melee as tag skills can raid the super mutant stronghold of Black Mountain at level 2-3 and use as few as 30 stimpaks if they utilize smart combat movement outside of VATS, namely the use of cover and items that block line of sight.

On that note, some enemy AI needs to be nuked, especially considering that they are supposed to be some of the most terrifying creatures in the wasteland.
An example being when I once killed a super mutant overlord in fallout 3 by strafing around it with a shotgun for about 20 minutes. I've done the same thing(though rarely) with deathclaws, its like fighting someone playing a console in 1986, they just don't have the look sensitivity to catch up with you.

Deathclaws in New Vegas are a step in the right direction from Fallout 3, though they are about the only creature that proves a serious (if you don't have ED-E's sensors or high perception) threat unless you get swarmed by Cazadores (especially since they upped the potency of their poison so that 10 endurance no longer provides 100% resist chance for it). Still though, they become trivial when the wings are taken off and they also can't attack the courier if they are on an extreme incline. The courier can walk on sheer cliff faces due to the invisible ledges present on them, but creatures can't do this so depending on terrain and creature weapons (no ranged weapons) they will simply scurry around at the base of the cliff trying to reach the player.

Then there are the power weapons, the YCS/186, Pew Pew, Anti-Materiel rifle and the Thermic Lance/Oh, Baby!. These are extremely powerful weapons even if you lack much skill with their type (energy weapon, energy weapon, guns, melee, melee). The Thermic Lance for instance can theoretically kill the Legendary Deathclaw (normal) in as few as 4-5 seconds (using only automatic attacks), if you focus on building a character specifically for it. The YCS/186 can kill the LD in as few as two headshots (granted the first is a sneak attack critical), Pew Pew is almost as powerful as the Alien Blaster and kills all other deathclaw variants in a single sneak attack critical headshot (haven't actually used it on the LD since I had killed all legendary creatures at level 10 using the YCS/186 in my primary game and my newest game focuses on the thermic lance).

(01-07-2011 09:37 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  I agree 100%. Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are incredibly easy games. I've had both on Very Hard
difficulty since I got them and they're still stupid easy. I downloaded a difficulty mod to make things more realistic.

Yes, turning the difficulty up in Fallout 3 or New Vegas only improves the enemies durability, not its intelligence. If you have a strong build and weapon the durability is only going to be a minor inconvenience that requires more shots or slightly altered strategies. On the harder difficulties I almost always use Raul Trejada for his regular/full maintenance perk.
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I really think game developers would improve the overall entertainment factor of the game if they all borrowed from each other. If you could combine the AI from killing floor(after the tweaks) and Fracture, then I'd say even Psychos would be a decent challenge when in a moderately large group.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

08-07-2011, 05:05 AM
(01-07-2011 01:07 PM)Maskelyne Wrote:  
(01-07-2011 05:29 AM)Filox Wrote:  Original Fallouts don't have any category to put them into, or any other game to compare them with, they are unique.

I realize you are a fan, though your claim is based on opinion rather than fact. Fallout 1-2 are not unique, as the sci-fi wasteland theme was used on many now nameless BBS text based games in the 80's (which predate even Wasteland which is an inspiration to the Fallout series). The game play in the title certainly looks like a host of other 90's games. I don't doubt the perks, etc are handled differently than other games (which don't have those types of things at all), though the graphics, UI, etc are all standard for the time period.

I'd like to play them, but older games typically do not work correctly on modern computers very well unless using a third party program. Your description of the turn based system means that it probably functions similar to Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, which was almost unplayable in turn based mode (due to how slow combat flow was) and real time mode was incredibly overpowered (could kill upwards of fifteen targets in as many seconds). If you are dying to super mutants in Fallout 3 and New Vegas it probably has more to do with your character build and weapons rather than the combat system itself.

In New Vegas (to bring the topic somewhat back on track) a character with 8 strength, 9 endurance, 10 or higher DT armor, chance's knife (or a fire axe) and medicine/melee as tag skills can raid the super mutant stronghold of Black Mountain at level 2-3 and use as few as 30 stimpaks if they utilize smart combat movement outside of VATS, namely the use of cover and items that block line of sight.

You are absolutely right, what I have said was my own opinion, of course. But Fallouts 1 and 2 work normal on winXP, not sure about Win7, but I'm sure they can be run without any special treatment. And combat system was great, it was not too slow, but if you turned it of it would become too fast to follow while shooting.

In New Vegas I played a gunman. High perception and agility, good with one handed guns, later I switched to rifles. Never liked melee fighting style, although the chainsaw is incredible funny and good weapon. What I miss in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is that you can not move while in VATS, or crouch/stand. That were very good combat tactics in old Fallouts, quite useful.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-07-2011, 08:15 AM

(01-07-2011 05:29 AM)Filox Wrote:  You are absolutely right, what I have said was my own opinion, of course. But Fallouts 1 and 2 work normal on winXP, not sure about Win7, but I'm sure they can be run without any special treatment. And combat system was great, it was not too slow, but if you turned it of it would become too fast to follow while shooting.

In New Vegas I played a gunman. High perception and agility, good with one handed guns, later I switched to rifles. Never liked melee fighting style, although the chainsaw is incredible funny and good weapon. What I miss in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is that you can not move while in VATS, or crouch/stand. That were very good combat tactics in old Fallouts, quite useful.

It sounds exactly like Arcanum then, as real time mode in that game moved extremely quick, that is what made it overpowered. You could use fast reflexes to kill huge numbers of enemies within seconds if you had a strong enough weapon (one shot kills), real time also calculated the damage slightly differently. Most weapons that were slow in turn based ended up being one shot kills in real time for some reason, and weapons good in turn based were bad in real time.

The chainsaw and thermic lance in New Vegas are essentially the same weapon, just with different appearances and names, stats are identical. They are monstrous in VATS because the automatic attacks hit something like 10 times in one VATS action. If using Scrap Heap (the special move for each of them) it increases damage by 25% in VATS, so you could explode virtually any deathclaw (not tested on legendary deathclaw, yet) in a single VATS attack (head, arms and legs all explode simultaneously).
08-07-2011, 02:09 PM
To quote Zero Punctuation - I'm a promoter of games as art, and any game where you can make an enemies limbs fly off in different directions is already a work of art!

09-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Yes Arcanum is pretty much the same RPG concept as old Fallouts but I haven't played it, only heard of it a long, long time ago...

And all my dead enemies explode because I can not play Fallout without Bloody Mess perk... That is pretty essential for me, been using it from the first time I saw the name.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-07-2011, 05:30 AM
But yea, better AI would make the game so much more challenging. The thing about the 2 games I mentioned is the AI have different traits that make them pose a serious threat, even when you are well equipped.
Ever since the patches, the enemies from Killing Floor have become so evasive, they don't all bunch together in a straight line and they take corners at really weird angles so you cant choke point them. The AI from Fracture(which I have not/will not complete) are just so fucking aggressive, they chase you for a mile and get right up in your face to pummel the shit out of you.
Even the AI in the first F.E.A.R. game were better, they were aggressive, but they would wait until you got to choke points, they'd use cover really well and move up behind armoured units to try and push you back.