New York will never be the same

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 12:34 PM by TrainWreck.)
RE: New York will never be the same
(03-11-2012 08:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So I hear mayor Bloomberg's strategy for dealing with the next hurricane/flood event is :
1. Put the hospital generators somewhere, other than the basements,
2. "hope there isn't another one".
Do you know the complete chronology of the installation, and operations, of NYC hospital security?

Do you understand the sequence of the NYC emergency evacuation plan that took place beginning when the storm system was identified and estimated to cause a storm surge on NYC?

Have you ever heard that term, "storm surge," prior to the use of it in the eventuality of Hurricane Sandy?

And if you are so well informed, do you think the rest of the population is as informed and sophisticated, as you, and your favorite political leader???

Huh,.... You think you know how this all works - what is that you get paid to do?

Oh yeah, one more thing, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get people to evacuate, and sit tight for a few days???

How about the mayor of Atlantic City offering those who refused to evacuate the use of a flood plane school as a shelter - luckily the storm did not cause the disaster that that plan was.

Besides, genius, if the hospital is flooded in any way, don't you think it is a good idea to evacuate the infirmed, before the workers decide not to return from their lunch break???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 12:36 PM by TrainWreck.)
It looks to me that they had to drain the "bath tub" that makes up the World Trade Center, because it was the highest level of water, and it probably empties most of the subway lines in the area as well.

So it sounds as if the structure of the tunnels can handle their being flooded, as they were designed so long ago.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Re: RE: New York will never be the same
(03-11-2012 09:36 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 05:57 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  For new yorkers having such a big ego about their city, it sure dose get shit on a lot.
What are you talking about?

Tell me what you think should have been done better?

And, I'll bet, I can recognize the complex system of social organization that concludes that the people that you are going to accuse of being incompetent are competent; and the whiners, who were championed by the media, who you are going to champion as rational, are not.

Unless, of course, you have some really, really, good analysis and estimation of more proper procedures.

You got anything like that, or are you just talking out your ass?

No dude, im talking about WTC 1 AND 2, living with donald trumpBig Grin ,this hurricane. The gulf and atlantic up to Va are "used" to hurricanes. Just the expanse and population density of the area makes everything harder by x20.

I live 10mins from the beach. But egress is relatively easy with a smallish population, multiple gtfo routes and in 4 hours im in the mountains.
03-11-2012, 10:15 AM
(03-11-2012 10:00 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  No dude, im talking about WTC 1 AND 2, living with donald trumpBig Grin ,this hurricane. The gulf and atlantic up to Va are "used" to hurricanes. Just the expanse and population density of the area makes everything harder by x20.

I live 10mins from the beach. But egress is relatively easy with a smallish population, multiple gtfo routes and in 4 hours im in the mountains.
Sorry. I'm a stressing it all too much Drooling

Sounds like you live in California?

03-11-2012, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 10:46 AM by TrainWreck.)
(01-11-2012 03:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 02:40 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I think it is going to take a long time, years, if not decades to restore the transportation access of the Manhattan island, and there is going to be considerable misery in the near future for many people who have relied on the convience that the tunnel system provided...
I actually agree with you !! Tongue The New York infrastructure has been a disaster waiting to happen for decades...
It looks like the infrastructure of the drainage and tunnel system worked excellent - we were both wrong.

If that infrastructure was not there, there would have been extensive damage to the integrity of structures in the downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. As it is there only appears to be wind damage to trees and building facades. And, of course, the electric power was damaged and has been adequately restored.

The current reports that subway service has resumed at some of the river crossings is a tremendous relief, and I am pleasently surprized - I am dying to understand how it all went down.

03-11-2012, 01:33 PM
(02-11-2012 05:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 05:14 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Superbowls probably on or something.
Oh yeah. Probably.

That's the one like rugby but with pussy body armour and they stop every 5 mins for a rest and Ad-breaks?

I guess it's the NY Sharks vs the Jets or something.

Oh don't start that nonsense about American football players being pussies cause they need pads and Rugby players don't.

If NFL players didn't wear pads, people would regularly die.

[Image: michaelpittman.jpg&sa=X&...gte7UDq0CA]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd rather fight the buff guy than this guy:

[Image: C_71_article_1021249_image_list_image_li..._image.jpg]

This guy looks like he's already killed many.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
(03-11-2012 01:38 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I'd rather fight the buff guy than this guy:

[Image: C_71_article_1021249_image_list_image_li..._image.jpg]

This guy looks like he's already killed many.

Ever seen that guy get tackled by a tiny little guy on the wing though? drops like a stone in water.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
(03-11-2012 10:15 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(03-11-2012 10:00 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  No dude, im talking about WTC 1 AND 2, living with donald trumpBig Grin ,this hurricane. The gulf and atlantic up to Va are "used" to hurricanes. Just the expanse and population density of the area makes everything harder by x20.

Sorry. I'm a stressing it all too much Drooling

Sounds like you live in California?
NC. Im not sure Cali has a big problem with hurricanes Big Grin
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
No I don't actually watch sports of any kind. I used to play both football and rugby and I remember how much rowdier the rugby bunch was.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user