New Zealand politics, who's pumped for this years election?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
29-08-2014, 09:51 PM
RE: New Zealand politics, who's pumped for this years election?
I'm sure money is no object with them, they have enough of it.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2014, 01:11 AM
YES!!!! That fucking bitch Collins is gooooooooooooooooooooooone!!!!
wooooooooooooo!

02-09-2014, 10:30 PM
(28-08-2014 09:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If there was ever a time to leave the country it'll be after this election I suspect.
I live in rural America, and feel the same way about our next election. I'm looking for a safe place to move my family if/when things get bad here(secession, civil war, etc). The drum beats of civil unrest are growing louder by the day. Couple that with Islamic terror threats, and America is becoming an unstable place.

Your politics -as shown in this thread- resemble mine, and I wonder where you would go if you left NZ for political/legal/governmental reasons?

I originally started looking at NZ 6 months ago as a possible safe place after seeing the country ranked highly on several economic studies. I have a business degree, and master's certifications in auto repair with a specialty in European and Asian cars. I won't be a drain on the NZ economy.

You also have not buttfukked your currency into irrelevancy like the USD so that's nice.

Maybe this isn't the right thread to ask, but for the lack of a better one, please elaborate on what is wrong with NZ, and where would you go if you sought friendlier shores?
02-09-2014, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 11:25 PM by Stevil.)
(02-09-2014 10:30 PM)HighPlainsGrifter Wrote:  Maybe this isn't the right thread to ask, but for the lack of a better one, please elaborate on what is wrong with NZ, and where would you go if you sought friendlier shores?
I know this was addressed to earmuffs, but hey.

I think NZ is a great place to live.
We have a mixed market economy, which means we are free but also have a safety net for the poor, affordable health, free school.
We have decent gun laws so mass shootings are rare.
The vast majority of people don't feel the need to carry weapons for protection. But of course you do need to be careful, avoid walking alone at night in dark places, be careful when hitchhiking etc.
We have mild temperatures 8 degrees is cold, 26 degrees is hot
We have Summer holidays over Christmas. Lots of beaches and bush walks, kids generally get involved in sports. We are a generally very active as a nation. We have beautiful scenery, much like Canada and Switzerland. You are generally only an hour or two (depending on where you live, I am in Auckland and am 10 minutes from all of these things) from Beaches, forests, mountains, lakes, cities, and maybe 4 hours or so from ski mountains.
We don't have much poisonous spiders (very rare to find one), we don't have snakes or crocodiles, bears or wildcats. We are close to many tropical getaways Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga etc, Only a couple hours from Sydney, Brisbane, Surfers paradise etc.
Religion is a non issue.
We are nuclear free.

The cons are:
If you like busy cities and crowds then you will find NZ very quiet.
Job market can be limited.
If you want to be a famous and rich musician then it is hard for Kiwi's to make it big.
If you build up a business and decide to expand into Australia you will likely fail miserably. Australians don't like Kiwi businesses, they avoid them and implement regulations etc in order to run kiwi business under (sad but true).
We are a long way from Europe or USA or Canada.
Fashion and other shopping is limited.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Quote:Your politics -as shown in this thread- resemble mine, and I wonder where you would go if you left NZ for political/legal/governmental reasons?

Germany (Munich), UK (London), Singapore (Singapore), Switzerland (Zurich), Sweden (Stockholm, Gothenburg), Netherlands (Rotterdam, Amsterdam), Italy (Rome), Belgium (Brussels), South Korea (Seoul), China (Hong Kong), Australia (Brisbane, Melbourne). In that order.

Though some of those I wouldn't go for political reasons, ie: Rome. I would go for other reasons, ie: It's fucking Rome bitch!

For political reasons I think Germany is probably the best alternative (the obvious downside of them all speaking Germany though). They're somewhat liberal and they're an economic powerhouse. France is overrated and French people are, well, French.. But all the other Europe countries on that list (with the exception of Italy) would be viable politically acceptable countries. If you were worried about war I guess you couldn't go wrong with Switzerland.

Quote:I originally started looking at NZ 6 months ago as a possible safe place after seeing the country ranked highly on several economic studies. I have a business degree, and master's certifications in auto repair with a specialty in European and Asian cars. I won't be a drain on the NZ economy.

You'll be fine here then. We got nothing but Asian and European cars...
Toyota's, Nissans, BMW's for days...
We have Ford but they all go to the Ford dealership and Holden which is an Australian brand whom also all go to the dealership for repairs.

Regarding business. NZ, like Australia, is in an interesting position because we're geographically positioned ready for the age of Asian dominance. We're also politically ready. We're on very friendly terms with everyone, China, Japan, Korea (the southern one), India etc.. If a war broke out between China and the US (never gonna happen but w/e) we would remain neutral I would bet my xbox on it.

The issue though is that our economy is reliant far far to much on dairy. If China decided to buy milk products elsewhere we would be fucked. Economic policy also focuses on the dairy industry too. In saying that, we're aware we rely to much on dairy and so there are plenty of grants and such to stimulate other areas of the economy so we don't have to rely on dairy.

Quote:You also have not buttfukked your currency into irrelevancy like the USD so that's nice.

Indeed.

Quote:Maybe this isn't the right thread to ask, but for the lack of a better one, please elaborate on what is wrong with NZ, and where would you go if you sought friendlier shores?

In regards to the rest of the world there isn't a hell of a lot wrong with NZ.
Especially now, a lot of the problems we had 5 years ago are sorting themselves out (bad internet, high food costs due to lack of competition etc..) because National has been in charge and focuses on stimulating the economy and adding value rather than reshuffling money around without adding value like what Labor loves to do.

Crime is increasing in aggression but decreasing in number (trade off I suppose?).
The gap between rich and poor is increasing.
There can be limited opportunities, especially in business. But it's dependent on what business you are running.
The market is small (only 4.5million people).
Auckland is a shithole and is very spread out because people are retards and don't understand that a city needs to develop upwards and not just outwards...
All the Maori from Papakura upwards.
Labor could get into government.

Quote:The vast majority of people don't feel the need to carry weapons for protection. But of course you do need to be careful, avoid walking alone at night in dark places, be careful when hitchhiking etc.

Stevil lives in Auckland though, so that only applies to Auckland (and certain parts of Auckland). The rest of the country is fine. I don't know for certain but I'm sure we're one of the safest countries (crime wise) in the world.
Just need a little bit of normal common sense I guess.

Quote:You are generally only an hour or two (depending on where you live, I am in Auckland and am 10 minutes from all of these things) from Beaches, forests, mountains, lakes, cities, and maybe 4 hours or so from ski mountains.

98% of the population is 45minutes from the beach and the other 2% lives in Taupo (which is right on our largest lake).

Quote:We don't have much poisonous spiders (very rare to find one)

We have 1 type of native poisonous spider and it lives on some beaches in the south island on one of the coast lines. And even then it's poison is weak and takes several days to kill you if left untreated.

Quote:We are nuclear free.

Only country in the world to be so IIRC.

Quote:If you build up a business and decide to expand into Australia you will likely fail miserably. Australians don't like Kiwi businesses, they avoid them and implement regulations etc in order to run kiwi business under (sad but true).

Yip. The Australians are assholes. That's why if you build up a business you just expand to the UK. They love Kiwi shit and are a good market to expand into Europe anyway.

03-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Not happy about Conservatives on 4.2% by the way.
This displeases me greatly. They only need 5%...

Let's all pray to God they don't get in, I know I will be.

03-09-2014, 04:02 PM
What is so troubling about the Conservative party? Are they the religious party? What's so wrong with having religious politicians? I am devoutly Christian, but mostly libertarian. That means I believe one man and one woman is the the best arrangement for child rearing, but the government has no business defining marriage either way. Let couples define marriage for themselves.

I want politicians that are moral. Unfortunately the most religious ones are sometimes the most corrupt because their religious front lets them hide from scrutiny. In America we have Harry Reid(Mormon) and Nancy Pelosi(Catholic), and both are as dirty as the devil himself.

So that's my problem with religious politicians (they're usually no better than non-religious ones). Why do you fear them?

Thanks for the discussion.
03-09-2014, 08:49 PM
(03-09-2014 04:02 PM)HighPlainsGrifter Wrote:  What is so troubling about the Conservative party? Are they the religious party? What's so wrong with having religious politicians?

They're not technically a religious party, they're a conservative party. But part of that is religious of course because religion often = conservatism. And Colin Craig is a very religious person and so his political beliefs are effected by that.

The problem with religious politicians is that their decision is often effected by their religion. I'm talking about politicians who openly flout being Christian or whatever. You can be a Christian and a politician and not have the prior effect the later, I got no problem with that.

Quote:That means I believe one man and one woman is the the best arrangement for child rearing

I disagree with this position. Sorta. I believe that being raised by loving parents is the best arrangement for child rearing. That could mean a man and a women, just a man, just a women, two women, two men or basically any combination.
I don't think gender has anything to do with raising children and it's all about the ability of the person raising said child.

I accept that there are times where a man would be better then a women and a women better then a man (ie: puberty), but I don't believe that means the other gender can't do it and there is also other influence that could help in such situations (other family members, teachers etc..). I think the up most important factor is ability and willingness (which covers love). Gender irrelevant.

Quote:but the government has no business defining marriage either way. Let couples define marriage for themselves.

I agree. Colin Craig disagrees.

Quote:I want politicians that are moral.

I'm sure Colin Craig is moral. He seems like a nice enough guy. He's earned his money in real estate and wants to enter politics and so is going for it. Good on him. I just disagree with a lot of his policies and what his party stands for. I got nothing against him personally except that I disagree with everything he beliefs in and stands for.

We're a fairly liberal country, specially compared to the US which we would consider very conservative. I don't want to see us head in that direction, I want us to remain as we are, liberal but with a sensible attitude towards the economy and business. (I'm a right wing libertarian. Meaning I have liberal social beliefs and conservative economic beliefs).

The conservative party's approach to issues is wrong, IMO. ie: drinking.
They want to raise the drinking age to 20 (it's currently 18) to combat this countries supposed drinking problem. Just a note, I don't drink alcohol and I'm 23 so this wouldn't effect me either way. This wouldn't solve the issue, it would just drive drinking behind closed doors where the problem is worsened.
Teenagers will still get a hold of alcohol and the problem wont go away.

Instead we will be restricting our citizens rights.
Here you leave high school at 18-19 and go to university. That means you will be away from home (most likely) and in that university culture, but sorry, the law says you're not responsible enough to have a beer. It's stupid and shows a lack of trust and creates disunity between older and younger sections of the public.

18, IMO, is the perfect drinking age. We trust out young men and women at 18 to carry guns in our armed forces and so we should trust our youth with a beer in their hand as well. Besides, middle aged people are just as bad if not worse and the law doesn't effect them and so that problem still persists.

There is current law to reduce the drink driving alcohol limit being passed through the house. THIS is a good and effective way to curb drinking related issues (ie: drink driving) in this country. Raising the drinking age isn't.

There's several policies of theirs that I disagree with like this.

03-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Quote:Let's all pray to God they don't get in, I know I will be.

You know full well this does nothing. Big Grin
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
(03-09-2014 08:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:Let's all pray to God they don't get in, I know I will be.

You know full well this does nothing. Big Grin

It helped little Jimmy's football team win the game so I thought the big guy might throw me a bone on this one. *shrug*