New and Grateful!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2010, 05:16 PM

New and Grateful!
I'm new to the forum, and I'm currently in the process of deconversion. It's great to find a safe place to openly discuss my lack of belief with like-minded people, so thank you TTA! Those who have gone through the process of christian deconversion can probably identify with some of the pain and loss I'm feeling. I don't yet have the courage to "come out" to my family or friends since this would mean the loss of all of them. I don't miss god a bit, but I surely will miss my family and friends.

I was raised in an extremely conservative fundamentalism home, went to a private christian university (where I minored in Bible), and have been active in churches for a long time. Most of my social interactions have always revolved around church.

I've been a lifelong seeker and doubter, and I've always believed that god destined me for hell because I don't have the "believing gene" that other christians seem to have. Recently I've discovered that I'm just a thinker, unlike so many of my christian counterparts.

Anyway, that was a long hello. Thanks for being here!
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2010, 07:01 PM
RE: New and Grateful!
Welcome to TTAF.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome to TTAF, athnostic. Glad to have you with us. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We'll answer as best we can. And if you just need someone to talk to, hey, we can do that too.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2010, 09:54 PM
We're like a support community I guess, almost every new member that's recently "seen the light" (or lack there of I suppose works too...) seems to ask advice or to be grateful for our being here to chat... Not a bad feeling to help out a fellow atheist, my family was pretty cool with my conversion but I know how some religious folks can be. We're here for you bro, welcome to the community.

Find all posts by this user
27-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Welcome, Athnostic! It actually seems to be that we share a common history! I was also raised as a conservative fundy with my dad being one of those hyper-studious apologetics-seeker. It's amazing to me, though, with all his study, how he seems to have not come across the things I have, and even cites Ron Wyatt's "discoveries" in his attempts to re-convert me. =P

I actually only came out two weeks ago. If there's anything you feel I could help with, please send me an e-mail or a private message or rely to this or add me on Messenger or whatever. =P

Good luck man! It's tough, but it's rewarding! And welcome again!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2010, 01:04 AM

Thank you everyone for your support! It's great to know you're out there!
27-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Athnostic; Welcome to TTA.
My life didn't go like yours. My first memory of going to church was I was all excited about going, I was finally old enough! I had no idea what to expect but... something was terribly wrong once we arrived.
We walked into a room with a bunch of other kids my age, I was still thinking this was going to be great. They told me where to sit then went to talk to some old fat lady. When they were done the entire family went out to the car and drove off without me!
Then the old fat lady jerked me away from the window and slammed me into my seat. She immediately got a punch to the belly and I left.
I wandered around until late afternoon until some guy working in his yard asked if I was OK. I told him the story and he offered to take me home. Problem was I didn't have a clue where I lived. He drove me around for quite some time before I saw the store near our house. From there I told him which way to go.
I was in BIG trouble but there was no way in Hell I was going back to "church". During the Vietnam War I went to church several times. Gods are great to have around when people are shooting at you! In times like that, any god will do.
As an adult I became curious about all the hype and decided to study The Bible myself. What a load of crap! It's not that I didn't try to get with the program, I just couldn't get myself to believe the impossible myths or make sense of the contradictions.
Now I spend my free time pissing off the recruiters that come to my door. I invite them in and show them my copy of the Satanic Bible I found on EBay. They don't waste any time running back out the door. While on thier way I tell them I'll put in a good word to Satan for them.
I don't believe there is a Satan or giant male rabbit that goes around laying eggs either... they do so that's all that matters.
I'm astonished that they keep coming back!