New and frustrated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 11:37 PM
New and frustrated
Hello, just reaching out to my fellow non-believers. I've never done anything quite like this before, so I apologize if I am in the wrong section or whatever. What prompted me to come onto here was a conversation I had with my mother; she started out Christian but long ago left it and became spiritual. She's tried to raise me to be understanding and accepting of all beliefs and customs (ultimately with mixed results). The problem I have with this system is that she's willing to just say "you don't know how others were raised" and "its their beliefs and they have no impact on you." I'm sorry, but am I wrong to disagree with this train of thought? I am a fairly recent atheist (agnostic until last year), a transsexual (also learned this about myself in the last year)? I know that I'm going not going to be getting this same respect when others learn about these things about me. Furthermore, the more research I do and the more I listen to the news, the more the religious are FORCING themselves and their beliefs on others and trying to push it into politics and everything else. How is this respecting others beliefs, or them not having an impact on me (and everyone else)? I don't want to argue with her (in most ways I think she's been a fantastic parental figure), but this particular train of thought she has just seems...wrong, problematic, and slightly ignorant to me. Advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 07:32 AM
RE: New and frustrated
I am in no position to pass judgement as to right or wrong (either thee or she) but I don't see too much of a problem with either of your mother's statements.

Even the almighty Hitch didn't have a problem with people who kept their opinions to themselves and indeed we rarely know everything about others' up-bringing.

Surely tolerance is not a bad thing, is it?

Is it instead that you are upset that she is oblivious to the "forcing" of ideas that you are aware of but she is not?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
17-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Your mother is a wise person indeed.

I have no problem with what people believe. As long as they do not cause harm to others they may believe whatever they wish. It is foolish to get angry at people for beliefs. Direct your anger at actions.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
17-07-2012, 12:59 PM
I dunno. Line not clear. Beliefs cause actions. Do whatever you feel like. Personally people who get all "you should believe X" set my teeth on edge regardless of what meme they're pushing. Also people who use politics to push a religious agenda do *need* to be countered IMO, especially in the US where they've got a stranglehold.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Thank you all. To be honest I think I just kinda needed to vent, because yes, she does seem to be unaware of just how forceful others are about their beliefs and how pushy they are getting in this country. I do agree that she is wise, and I have tried to take her teachings to heart. Its just frustrating to read, see, and hear every day that the religious extremists (I use the term not in a derogatory way, rather that I'm talking about the fundamentalists and their kind) seem to believe that only their rights matter and that everyone should capitulate to THEIR ways, and so many people just ignore them as they continue to work towards their goals. And I'm sorry, I think I'm trailing into confusing territory again...its been hard for me to focus my thoughts lately.

Anyone have any ideas how I can help here in Las Vegas? I'm kinda shy and have only been living here a couple months.

Again, thank you all, and I apologize for not being very clear before.