New astronomical sign of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2014, 07:43 AM
RE: New astronomical sign of Jesus
(24-04-2014 08:04 PM)Logisch Wrote:  it is no different than people saying that it's an evil wolf god and shouting at it will make it go away.

[Image: tumblr_lg083voTGM1qe86q4o1_500.jpg]

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 06:44 AM
(24-04-2014 06:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  A solar eclipse that is set to happen next week and can only be seen over Antartica and parts of Australia is bringing out the crazies as they are yelling end of the world, return of Jesus again. When will this ever stop Facepalm

What's so special about this eclipse? The fact that it can only be seen in Oz and Antartica? Big deal.
26-04-2014, 06:48 AM
(24-04-2014 06:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  A solar eclipse that is set to happen next week and can only be seen over Antartica and parts of Australia is bringing out the crazies as they are yelling end of the world, return of Jesus again. When will this ever stop Facepalm

You know, Solar Eclipses have happened many, many times, and they don't really have anything to do with Jesus more than anything else does.
[+] 1 user Likes An_Theist's post
26-04-2014, 07:00 AM
(25-04-2014 05:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 08:57 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  God damn why doesn't the bible make prophecies like give a date, time, and the order it is going to happen in?

Why? Because every time someone stupid like Harold Camping puts a date on it, it turns out to be wrong. That's the problem with demonstrably falsifiable assertions. Christianity exists to this day precisely because enough of it can't be tested. Bonus points for the Bible actually saying "Don't test the Lord your God".

It's the same reason YHWH stopped being a war god when the Romans controlled Jewish lands, and instead switched to being a god of peace and turning the other cheek. YHWH was demonstrably a pretty shitty war god at that point, and the Jews might have jettisoned the religion if it hadn't changed.

^ This comment is on point.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-04-2014, 10:35 AM
(24-04-2014 08:08 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 08:04 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I can't tell you how infuriating this shit is. I do astronomy and astrophotography by hobby and constantly am hearing people blab about how it's a biblical prophecy. I just roll my eyes and attempt to help them understand things a bit better. Fun fact: Solar eclipses happen more often than people think.

People going batshit crazy over it is no different than people saying that it's an evil wolf god and shouting at it will make it go away. Reference: Skoll the wolf.

Haha yeah, they are connecting it to the deadline of the Israel peace talks which takes place on the same day.

I have a friend who believes in this kind of stuff. I asked her after the "blood moon" lunar eclipse, if she saw it. She said she did, but she didn't know it was going to be here. She thought it was supposed to be viewable over Israel.

The thing is, they are always trying to make it fit, so much so that she just assumed it would happen over Israel. Because, you know..."God" needs things like this to be viewable from that particular piece of dirt, or it doesn't mean as much because "he" loves that piece of dirt more than the rest of the world.

26-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Oh, and another funny one from not too long ago!

About a year ago or so, there was a solar eclipse that was one of those perfect alignments so that the center of the moon perfectly passes over the center of the sun, causing that fiery ring effect around the boarder of the the eclipse.
[Image: 20120518_eclipse.jpg]

They would have lost their shit if this happened over Israel, but it did not. HOWEVER, surprise, surprise, it occurred around the same time as some peace talks in Israel, so it was a "sign"...of something...

Funny thing is, peace talks are constantly happening in Israel, so it's not ever a big coincidence. But to them, it's always "a sign". Facepalm

But this is where it really gets nutty. The fire ring eclipse did not occur over Israel, BUT it did occur over the pacific. And what do we know is (in)significant about that location?! That's right! The pacific is where the tectonic ring of fire is! Two rings of fire happening during the Israeli peace talks!

Meaningless, chance coincidence, or a "sign" from "God"? A sign, given from "God", a symbolic wedding ring to "his" "bride", "The Church", and a promise that "he" is coming to wed them soon?

Yeah, you guessed it. The Christians (the nuttier ones anyway) lost their collective shit over this, and thought "God" was proposing marriage to them and giving them their wedding ring. Facepalm Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
27-04-2014, 09:53 AM
(24-04-2014 08:04 PM)Logisch Wrote:  

I can't tell you how infuriating this shit is. I do astronomy and astrophotography by hobby and constantly am hearing people blab about how it's a biblical prophecy. I just roll my eyes and attempt to help them understand things a bit better. Fun fact: Solar eclipses happen more often than people think.

People going batshit crazy over it is no different than people saying that it's an evil wolf god and shouting at it will make it go away. Reference: Skoll the wolf.

I know what you mean...

I don't understand how or why people can be so terminally ignorant in this day and age.

I mean... In a way I can sort of sympathize with creationists (a little bit), because evolution is a very big and often complex topic. Not to mention the mind blowing timescale that can be difficult to appreciate. To understand it requires a fair amount of reading, and isn't something that can be properly explained in a single sentence. So I can forgive people for having misconceptions or poorly founded doubts.

But with something like a solar eclipse, the scientific explanation is so simple and would surely come as a relief to those who think they are portents of doom.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user