New beginnings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 11:54 AM
New beginnings
Well, I decided to sell my business. I have sold several businesses in the past, and a couple of times with the intent to retire, but something else always caught my interest and I always started something new.

Perhaps this time will be different, I am getting closer to retirement age now. Then again, I already have some ideas dancing in my brain...

If you could retire, would you do it? And, what would you do then?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: New beginnings
(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I decided to sell my business. I have sold several businesses in the past, and a couple of times with the intent to retire, but something else always caught my interest and I always started something new.

Perhaps this time will be different, I am getting closer to retirement age now. Then again, I already have some ideas dancing in my brain...

I will never retire. I'll always have something going even if it's part time. I don't know how many people I've seen retire and within a year they're either dead or have some serious malady or their life falls apart somehow.

Of course it depends on what a person does for a living. For those who do manual labor and their bodies give out they probably really look forward to a life of fly fishing or golf or something relaxing.

I own a small business myself that I have worked to build. It would be hard to give it up.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
13-08-2013, 01:41 PM
(13-08-2013 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I decided to sell my business. I have sold several businesses in the past, and a couple of times with the intent to retire, but something else always caught my interest and I always started something new.

I will never retire. I'll always have something going even if it's part time. I don't know how many people I've seen retire and within a year they're either dead or have some serious malady or their life falls apart somehow.

Of course it depends on what a person does for a living. For those who do manual labor and their bodies give out they probably really look forward to a life of fly fishing or golf or something relaxing.

I own a small business myself that I have worked to build. It would be hard to give it up.

I tend to get bored with businesses after I build them up. So then I come up with another idea and sell the old and build a new one. I guess it's the building I like, not the running once it goes smoothly.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Good luck to ya Dom!!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I work sometimes less than part time and mainly for the benefits - I often refer to myself as semi-retired. I have a lot of things I do for myself (paint / read / hang out) that I often have to stop right in the middle of and go to work. So yea, I'd kind of like to just have full time to myself. But then... meh, I'm not certain "retirement" is ever the same for everyone. I don't know, I'm kind of ready to unload this property (or rent it out) and maybe travel more. Consider But when traveling, it's nice to return to something called "home".

Good luck with your business sale, Dom. I don't think retirement has to be some huge commitment. Maybe it's something to try on for a while... but if it doesn't work out, you're the boss. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-08-2013, 02:05 PM
(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you could retire, would you do it? And, what would you do then?

Yeah, then I'd settle on the beach and watch the sunset everyday. Wink

But hey, I'm a Pisces and a dreamer, and I also have a long way to go before I approach a steady career- an even longer way to go before I approach retirement. But still, the idea is nice. Big Grin
13-08-2013, 04:07 PM
(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you could retire, would you do it?

Nope.
Step 1: Reach KMA (Kiss My Ass) status - 5 years to go.
Step 2: Retire in Place.
Step 3: Die in Place.
But then again I got a great job.

(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  And, what would you do then?

Ever see that Nicolas Cage movie "Leaving Las Vegas"?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-08-2013, 04:22 PM
(13-08-2013 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ever see that Nicolas Cage movie "Leaving Las Vegas"?

No way, horrible way to die. Then again, for the chance to lick bourbon off of Elizabeth Schuh's tits....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Good luck Dom and I hope you get a fair price for your business.

Ive got about another 40 years till I reach the actual official retirement age in the UK where I can draw my full pension (alongside the personal one I have) but I would like to think that when the time comes, I will be free to travel more, maybe do a bit of volunteer work and spend the rest of my time fishing.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I want to retire now.