New beginnings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: New beginnings
I have been retired now for some 5 years. It is a great joy to get up when one wants to not when the alarm goes off and to spend each day as I choose.

My wife on the other hand has to keep busy doing something. She was forced out of a job she enjoyed something like 2 years ago. She is still trying to find something to keep her busy. I think she is considering volunteer work.

We are both comfortable financially so that is not an issue. If that statement is confusing it may be because although we remain married (neither wants to confuse issues of property or benefits) we live apart.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I would retire from anything that was stressful and demanding. But I would paint and draw. I wouldn't just do "Nothing". Who wants to wake up to nothing?

Best of luck Dom!
13-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Oh, there is never "nothing". Whether working or not, there are always a zillion things to do for me.

My dad handled retirement poorly - mom was complaining that he followed her around like a puppy dog because he had nothing to do. Eventually he wrote a book that he never completed, and that is outdated now.

I retired a few times before, figuring I'd enjoy an early retirement, and inevitably found myself starting something new. It's almost like an addiction - the suspense from day to day to see whether it will take off, the plotting and planning and reorganizing until I get it right - or, at times, decide it won't work.

Then I get it running smoothly and after a while I find myself procrastinating things to do with it, spending more time on other things... and then I realize it has run it's course with me and I sell.

I never have the intention to do it again, but whatever I spend my time with after the sale ends up being a new business. I just can't seem to resist the challenge...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-08-2013, 11:02 AM
(13-08-2013 04:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  If you could retire, would you do it?

Nope.
Step 1: Reach KMA (Kiss My Ass) status - 5 years to go.
Step 2: Retire in Place.
Step 3: Die in Place.
But then again I got a great job.

(13-08-2013 11:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  And, what would you do then?

Ever see that Nicolas Cage movie "Leaving Las Vegas"?

Yikes, now that is one thing that'll never happen to me. I can't stand hangovers.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man