New convert in a christian home

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 12:31 AM
New convert in a christian home
I left the faith a year ago after being heavily involved in the church. My wife and I were christians when we got married and I feel terrible because I kinda sprung this athiesm thing on her. We are happily married although there is now this elephant in the room. What I need advice on is when should I tell my children (6 and 8) about why daddy doesn't pray or go to church anymore? I want to respect my wife's belief that without god they will go to hell but want them to have the opportunity to choose delusion or reality for themselves. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2015, 12:59 AM
RE: New convert in a christian home
Welcome to TTA.

Other parents here have written about the need to encourage critical thinking.

Techniques like "some people think this and others think that... What might be a good way of finding out what is true?" help to upload new thinking-tools into your children's necktops.

So, the trick is teaching 'how to think' rather than 'what to think'.

I doubt that the believers around you will feel too much discomfort with that approach.

Good luck with it.

Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
25-06-2015, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2015 03:04 AM by god has no twitter account.)
I agree with DLJ. Teach children how to think, rather that what to think.

There's another approach and that is to agree with your wife that neither of you will attempt to influence your children in any way when it comes to religion. The best way is not to discuss it at all. I think that's reasonable since religion ought to be a personal thing anyway.

I guess that your wife goes to church and wishes to take the children. Well, how about letting them decide what they want and respecting their wishes. After all, isn't religion about respecting the wishes of others? Well, here's her chance to prove it. Religion shouldn't be about impressing its will on others.

Oh, btw, best of luck.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
25-06-2015, 06:30 AM
(25-06-2015 12:31 AM)bottlefedmopar Wrote:  I want to respect my wife's belief that without god they will go to hell ...

Why? Consider It is a disreputable, diseased, disgusting belief.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-06-2015, 06:55 AM
(25-06-2015 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 12:31 AM)bottlefedmopar Wrote:  I want to respect my wife's belief that without god they will go to hell ...

Why? Consider It is a disreputable, diseased, disgusting belief.

It is indeed. In fact, it's worse. And yet, fucktards believe in it. (It's his wife. He has to respect her. She ain't my wife. I don't have to.Smile)

Anyhoo, the guy's in a loving relationship. There ain't too many of those in my experience. He should stay and try and work this thing out.

He says he respects her beliefs. I believe him.

She's christian. She's supposed to respect other people's beliefs. We've heard the talk. Now let's see the walk.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
25-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-06-2015, 06:59 AM
(25-06-2015 06:55 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why? Consider It is a disreputable, diseased, disgusting belief.

It is indeed. In fact, it's worse. And yet, fucktards believe in it. (It's his wife. He has to respect her. She ain't my wife. I don't have to.Smile)

Anyhoo, the guy's in a loving relationship. There ain't too many of those in my experience. He should stay and try and work this thing out.

He says he respects her beliefs. I believe him.

If you mean he respects her right to hold that belief, ok. I doubt he respects the belief itself.

Quote:She's christian. She's supposed to respect other people's beliefs.

That's not part of any Christianity I've ever heard of. Consider

Quote:We've heard the talk. Now let's see the walk.

Whose talk?

25-06-2015, 07:13 AM
(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you mean he respects her right to hold that belief, ok.

[quote]

Yes.

[quote='Chas' pid='802926' dateline='1435237150']
That's not part of any Christianity I've ever heard of. Consider

Romans 12:10: Honour one another above yourselves.

Fuck, I can't believe I typed a quote from the babble.

(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Whose talk?
christian talk.

25-06-2015, 07:14 AM
(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you mean he respects her right to hold that belief, ok.

Yes.

(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's not part of any Christianity I've ever heard of. Consider

(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Whose talk?
christian talk.

25-06-2015, 07:17 AM
(25-06-2015 07:14 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  

Yes.

(25-06-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's not part of any Christianity I've ever heard of. Consider

That is honoring the person, not the belief. And it probably applies only to other believers. Consider