New from NC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 08:04 PM

New from NC
Hello, My name is Tricia. I am from NC. I have been watching plenty of the thinking Atheists videos on you tube and decided to explore the web page.
I do still consider myself a Christian, Coming from an Apostolic Pentecostal background, but at the same time feel like I no longer understand why I am trying to hold on to my faith as I am having more questions than answers. I think there is a fear of letting go.
Hope its ok to be here
Tricia
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 08:11 PM
RE: New from NC
Welcome to The Thinking Atheist forum Smile Spread the word about this site. If you have any questions feel free to ask around. I'm surprised there are more then a couple of people from North Carolina who are Atheist or questioning the Christian faith since NC is a religious state for sure. Ask all the questions you would like to find out about here and the community here is so strong I'm sure you'll have answers quickly. Enjoy your stay!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Of course it's OK to be here Tricia. Smile

That you have more questions than answers is good, I think. It says you're growing into your sense of self, instead of reposing in what you're led to believe is an identity as a Christian Apostolic Pentecostal. Good for you, and congratulations.

And besides, if you believe in god you might consider your questions are his way of letting you find what the Christ had always said. The kingdom is inside you. Owning that, happens when you know that. Maybe this is how that's accomplished.

Welcome. HeartSmile
28-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks
28-04-2011, 10:57 PM
An interesting stance NC Lady.

What is it that you fear?

A warm welcome.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-04-2011, 10:25 PM

(28-04-2011 10:57 PM)The_observer Wrote:  An interesting stance NC Lady.

What is it that you fear?

A warm welcome.
Having believed most all my life, since I was old enough, I guess the fear is of letting go and where to go from there.
Part of me even with all my unanswered questions, wants to try to hold on to some form of a belief in God but feel I am heading to a point that may no longer be possible and that kind of scares me. I hope that makes some sense
Tricia
29-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Simply live your life if you decide to become a non believer. You don't have to be a Theist to have ethics Wink
30-04-2011, 04:13 AM
I think many ex believers or people on the verge of loosing religion struggle with these questions. I think they are afraid for what in dutch is called "the black hole". their life has been guided the whole and now they are on their own.
I think the problem lies in the changing of life-concept.
As a theist, you live your life in anticipation to "the big reward" at the end. As atheist, you live your life in the "now".

consider the following:
When I was a theist, my life was a vacation where I tried t drive my car along a freeway in destination to a luxury resort on the beach. while sitting in my cramped car, i already dreamt of the Cuba-libre I would order on arrival and the tasty tapas.

Now that I'm an atheist, my life is a vacation where i drive a RV. i have no particular destination. when the night falls, i look up a quiet spot to rest. and i enjoy the scenic view. one day, my vacation is over and then i can look back to a journey that was well worth it. people i met, place I saw, things I would have never done when I would have stayed in my cramped car on the freeway.

That concept might take some getting used to.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.