New from UK

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
New from UK
Hello everyone! I watched the thinking athiest video for the freethought convention and loved it.
I was born and raised as a christian, I had a baptism and I went to a christian school and it was only when I discovered the lie that is Father Christmas when I was 9 that I started to doubt in God as well. I thought it was a made up story to get us to behave but my mum sat me down and explained about the pope and that adults did believe in God. As I was only 9 I completely believed that as adults know everything and can't possibly be wrong!
My relationship with God after that was that if I didn't believe, I would burn in hell for the rest of time. Everytime thoughts that there was no God came into my head I felt guilty and that God would know and would punish me. Outwardly I claimed I was an atheist to my friends so as to seem cool but internally I was petrified I would burn in hell for saying such things.
I then went through a stage of looking for proof in God. Logically he didn't add up but could I really risk being sent to hell?! Being agnostic for me was pretty much saying, the evidence points against it, but I'd better not risk it. I stayed in this stage from about 11 to 16.
Around 6 months after I became 16 I started dating a catholic and was scared to death that her family would not accept me as an agnostic. So I decided to do some research and I read lots and watched countless videos on youtube to convince me in the existence of God. But the more I learnt the more I realised that even if God did exist, I did not want to follow him. The Borgia family are a prime example of this. If the closest man to God can be so evil, then he's not for me.
It was only after finding this site that I have shed any ties with God and embrace atheism. I am now 17 and hoping to study neuroscience at uni. I hope this was the right place to post all this!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 02:18 AM

RE: New from UK
Thank you so much for your post.
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 02:18 AM

RE: New from UK
(05-09-2011 02:27 PM)JakeBolton Wrote:  Hello everyone! I watched the thinking athiest video for the freethought convention and loved it.
I was born and raised as a christian, I had a baptism and I went to a christian school and it was only when I discovered the lie that is Father Christmas when I was 9 that I started to doubt in God as well. I thought it was a made up story to get us to behave but my mum sat me down and explained about the pope and that adults did believe in God. As I was only 9 I completely believed that as adults know everything and can't possibly be wrong!
My relationship with God after that was that if I didn't believe, I would burn in hell for the rest of time. Everytime thoughts that there was no God came into my head I felt guilty and that God would know and would punish me. Outwardly I claimed I was an atheist to my friends so as to seem cool but internally I was petrified I would burn in hell for saying such things.
I then went through a stage of looking for proof in God. Logically he didn't add up but could I really risk being sent to hell?! Being agnostic for me was pretty much saying, the evidence points against it, but I'd better not risk it. I stayed in this stage from about 11 to 16.
Around 6 months after I became 16 I started dating a catholic and was scared to death that her family would not accept me as an agnostic. So I decided to do some research and I read lots and watched countless videos on youtube to convince me in the existence of God. But the more I learnt the more I realised that even if God did exist, I did not want to follow him. The Borgia family are a prime example of this. If the closest man to God can be so evil, then he's not for me.
It was only after finding this site that I have shed any ties with God and embrace atheism. I am now 17 and hoping to study neuroscience at uni. I hope this was the right place to post all this!

Thanks you for the post.
Quote this message in a reply