New here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: New here
(24-09-2012 09:46 AM)cufflink Wrote:  
(24-09-2012 09:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, the double negative rule isn't always correct. There are exceptions.

ex:

"Don't you think that I didn't listen?"

The goal of the speaker is to not listen and he is making it clear to the receiver that that is his goal. While the question could be reworded, it is correct English.

In your example, KC, the two negatives are in two different clauses. There's no rule against that. The so-called "double negative" (better: negative concord) rule applies to negatives within the same clause: "I didn't say nothin' to nobody," "We don't need no stinkin' badges," etc. Smartass

Is this derailment or "thread evolution"? Tongue

Oh yeah, I know... I just didn't want to have to explain clauses.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 12:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-09-2012 08:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome!

One thing I learned after 5 years of marriage and two kids... don't mess with a pregnant chick.

One thing I've learned here. Don't mess with a former English teacher. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
John 15:16 : "You did not choose me, I chose you, so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last"

Lots of fruits in beligion.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Welcome, welcome.
Make yourself at home and beware of the douchebags because there are plenty of them here. Im the only sweetheart here. Wink

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post