New here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 12:06 AM
New here
Hello everyone, I realize that you read a ton of these so ill keep it short! I'm new to the forum and - to be honest - being an atheist. I was raised in an extremely conservative, evangelical free Christian home. My parents even home schooled me until I went off to college!!! Anyway, I was "on fire" for my religion and invested many hours an a ton of money into missions trips, conferences, books, everything I could to become a better Christian. In high school I even began speaking at my churches youth group and mentoring younger students who were struggling...I won't get into everything but let's just say that I was in about as deep as you can go. Haha. Nothing could in between my and my Jesus...

Anyway, here I am having just completed my 2nd year of college at NDSU (I'm from the twin cities btw) and over the past half year I've started questioning things, researching, investigating, doubting, and figuring it all out I guess. I think the term that you use is having your 'enlightenment' (even though I don't want to use weird terms and stuff like that-they just sound way too religious). I would say that it's only been about 3 months since I really stopped believing (and quite frankly, became embarrassed how deep I was into all of that stuff!). So as I said, I'm quite new to everything.

I googled atheist forums because I wanted a place to talk, to learn, and to connect with like minded people. Since nearly all of my friends are religous, I don't have much for friends right now since they didn't take to well to me not believing anymore. So to put it simply, I'm new to this and feel quite alone! Sorry that this is so long, I tend to ramble, haha.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2013, 12:13 AM
RE: New here
Welcome aboard the circus!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Hey hey.
Welcome to the nut-house.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-05-2013, 01:37 AM
(18-05-2013 12:06 AM)Wyatt Wrote:  I googled atheist forums because I wanted a place to talk, to learn, and to connect with like minded people.

Hello, and welcome. But a word of caution-

"Atheism" just means lacking a belief in a god or gods. It says nothing of how a person became an atheist or to what extent they're an atheist. They could very well be an atheist for irrational, and non skeptical reasons, and have no desire to push for a secular society, or to even expand atheism among people.

It also says nothing about their views on any other subject (trivial or otherwise).

But if you also include rational, and empathetic along with your atheist label, you're my kind of people Thumbsup
20-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]