New here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2011, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2011 02:22 PM by otaku_cj.)
New here!
Obviously, I am new here! I've been listening to the podcasts/other stuff on the youtube site for a while and am really desperately seeking some sort of atheist support community online. I'm lucky that most of my friends and my sister are atheist, but my homelife is still dominated by Christianity so there's no support to get on a regular basis so I decided to join the forums!

First, I shall copy and paste from the "Explain yourself!" thread, then I will say some more about me
Name: well, I do like anime a lot, many fans view "otaku" as a bad word but I view it as a neutral one and one that most non-anime people can instantly recognize. CJ is one of my nicknames

Avatar: It's one of the main characters from a show called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. The reason I picked this show was because it's a very pro-human series, and a lot of anime tend to portray humans as evil, but TTGL is like "enjoy the heck out of being a human!" and human awesomeness and belief in themselves and what they are capable of is what saves the day in this anime so I thought it appropriate an avatar.

Name: CJ (or at the very least, a nickname that I will respond to)
Education: Bachelor of Arts in Biology
Likes/hobbies: anime/manga, Doctor Who, Pokemon, JRPGs, video games, other ways of being a massive massive nerd
Diet: Vegetarian (it's not about the animals for me, I just don't like the taste. More bacon for everybody else!)

More about me:
I was raised by a very Christian mother. I used to go to church and all that stuff because I could see that it made her happy and I still love her and we get along well (she doesn't know I'm an atheist either, my older sister does though). My biological father was an atheist, but he was also a complete jerk, so I think part of me was doing it to oppose him. I actually went to a Lutheran middle school, which is when I think I first started to question things. I was expecting to be popular because I had lots of faith, but clearly that didn't happen. I think the education itself was also sub-par. So I went to a public high school after I couldn't wait to get the heck outta that middle school as in 8th grade, I started to question things. Then in 10th grade, I had an exceptional world history teacher who pointed out how similar christianity, judiasm, and the muslim religions are. I refused to believe it at first, but it sunk in over the years and I consider myself very blessed (pardon the word, it's part of the lexicon, I still say "dear lord!" and "oh my god!" but I mean it more ironically and changing it to "dear flying spaghetti monster" or "oh my pink unicorn!" would take more effort) to have had that teacher. Then of course, 9/11 and so many wars occurred all in the name of religion and I started to see it as a force of evil. The more I looked into mythology and other religions, the more I refused christianity. Then I went through the phase where not having a god where I'd had one for so long was a bit scary, but it wore off as I expected and now I don't mind flat out using the word "atheist".
I'm a much happier person as an atheist now, I had been iffy years before, but over the past year or so I've been far more definitive about it. I find I have less prejudice, I'm willing to try and get along with more people now, I enjoy life more, and have a much brighter outlook on life. I even had a really nice course about Darwin during my last semester of college, but when I tried to talk to my mom about it, she flat out refused evolution (I actually asked her if she believes in microevolution, and she said yes, I'm not sure why she thinks there's any difference between micro and macro evolution because the only difference is time, I of course, don't "believe"[/i] in evolution, I have been shown too much evidence for it and find it to be a fact, not a belief).

For someone with such poor eyesight, I've never seen more clearly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2011, 04:42 PM
RE: New here!
(14-07-2011 02:16 PM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Name: well, I do like anime a lot, many fans view "otaku" as a bad word but I view it as a neutral one and one that most non-anime people can instantly recognize.

Nope. Never heard "otaku" before. But welcome aboard!

(14-07-2011 02:16 PM)otaku_cj Wrote:  I actually went to a Lutheran middle school, which is when I think I first started to question things.

Went to a Lutheran school myself. Nothing more effective at turning out atheists than a good parochial education. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Bah, ok, maybe "most" wasn't a very good word, but people outside of the anime community *might* recognize the word

Thanks for welcoming me aboard anyway!
14-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I knew Otaku before I ever knew any anime. Thank you Metal Gear. I still only know all the old classics in anime. The Ninja Scrolls and the Akiras out there.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2011, 11:24 PM
I saw your name and I thought, oh dear we have another Japanphile on board with us.

lol, it's cool, I used to make fun of people who watched anime all of the time and such, but I watch it regularly now that I live here.

I watch a few oldies, Love Hina, Lucky Star, Fruits basket, Azumanga Diaoh, and many more that come on TV locally.

はじめまして. 日本語が話しますか. 沖縄県嘉手納に住んでいます. どぞよろしくおねがいします!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
14-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Bah, I don't pretend I can speak Japanese or anything ridiculous like that, I know I can't, I took German in college instead. I have no idea what you wrote below at all, lol.

I just couldn't think of anything else for a username, and, well anime and mostly manga is most of my free time these days, so why not? I'm not ashamed of being a fan or anything and I see no point in hiding it because it would probably become fairly obvious pretty quickly. You can just call me "CJ" if you want, that's fine too.

Here's a picture of my cat wearing a bee hat, because she is nice enough to let us do this to her without killing us.
[Image: 13832_197017485109_512595109_4335680_6522322_n.jpg]

Also, how can I make a title for myself?
15-07-2011, 12:44 AM
She looks like one of my (many) cats, Molly!

[Image: 229436_10150264897976352_500111351_93909...0344_n.jpg]

I said

It's nice to meet you, do you speak Japanese? I am from the Okinawa prefecture and I live in Kadena town.

Go to your CP and click 'edit profile' you will see the area 'custom user title' click on the little text box and make your own title.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
16-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the site, what sort of music are you into? You play any PC games?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
16-07-2011, 11:25 PM
(14-07-2011 11:44 PM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Here's a picture of my cat wearing a bee hat, because she is nice enough to let us do this to her without killing us.

I wouldn't push her too far. She's not far from breaking and killing you all.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Welcome Okaku,

Haven't watched anime much though I really liked Ghost in the Shell (movie and series) and one of the recent releases - Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society.

Brilliant story/script writing in my opinion. It raised allot of interesting questions and I liked the sci-fi themes covering Emergent AI's, Mind Uploading and various other topics.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss