New here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 07:22 PM
New here
I'm from the Bible Belt. The middle part of Georgia. Though I grew up Southern Baptist and Presbyterian PCA, I was always the weird one. The one who searched for answers to my questions and who never quit asking those questions. But I always stopped just at saying "there is no god." It was too scary. You know, hell and all that. But my daughter told me one day she was an atheist and I started reading about it, finding out what that really meant...which led me to Hitchens. And suddenly there was no turning back to the darkness of cognitive dissonance and ignorance! I love listening to TTA because Seth seems to have the same story as I did. It's so wonderful to have this community! I am an ER nurse and have 2 dogs. I have a wonderful husband. He is being enlightened too. My daughter as I said is an atheist and my son is a youth pastor in a PCA church. (sigh).

Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 07:37 PM
RE: New here
Welcome! Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
15-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Welcome, fellow bible belt atheist! I just joined the other day (well... night), and let me tell you, these people on here are a good bunch.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes UndauntedToast's post
15-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Hello! Big Grin
15-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
15-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Welcome aboard!
15-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Welcome to our humble abode

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
16-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-01-2016, 07:23 AM
(15-01-2016 07:22 PM)rebel*ox Wrote:  I'm from the Bible Belt. The middle part of Georgia. Though I grew up Southern Baptist and Presbyterian PCA, I was always the weird one. The one who searched for answers to my questions and who never quit asking those questions. But I always stopped just at saying "there is no god." It was too scary. You know, hell and all that. But my daughter told me one day she was an atheist and I started reading about it, finding out what that really meant...which led me to Hitchens. And suddenly there was no turning back to the darkness of cognitive dissonance and ignorance! I love listening to TTA because Seth seems to have the same story as I did. It's so wonderful to have this community! I am an ER nurse and have 2 dogs. I have a wonderful husband. He is being enlightened too. My daughter as I said is an atheist and my son is a youth pastor in a PCA church. (sigh).

Welcome to the light side. Smile

Your experience made me think of a song from Crosby, Stills & Nash:
"And you, of tender years, can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth, they seek the truth before they can die.
"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Welcome New Here! Glad to have you.