New here, but not to the world.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 02:12 PM
New here, but not to the world.
I'm new to being an atheist, or should I say calling myself one. But I've been around the block a few times - mid-50's. Can't talk to too many people about my feelings on religion. My father was a reverend in a somewhat liberal protestant church. As was my mother's father. I still take my mother to church every Sunday, simply out of respect for her (not the church). My wife is a devout Catholic. So speaking openly about atheism is not wise on my part if only to maintain peace at home. I'm happy to have found this forum, and of course the TTA podcasts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chuck Windar's post
08-04-2017, 02:32 PM
RE: New here, but not to the world.
(08-04-2017 02:12 PM)Chuck Windar Wrote:  I'm new to being an atheist, or should I say calling myself one. But I've been around the block a few times - mid-50's. Can't talk to too many people about my feelings on religion. My father was a reverend in a somewhat liberal protestant church. As was my mother's father. I still take my mother to church every Sunday, simply out of respect for her (not the church). My wife is a devout Catholic. So speaking openly about atheism is not wise on my part if only to maintain peace at home. I'm happy to have found this forum, and of course the TTA podcasts.

> Welcome, Chuck. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
08-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
08-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Hi Chuck Windar. I'm I'mFred. I'm an atheist. How are you?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
08-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Nice to meet you mate

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
08-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Welcome Chuck, glad to have you here Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
08-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Welcome! My wife and her mother are Catholics and I was one. I haven't been in a church except for a marrying or a burying; in the last 15 years that's about 5 times.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
08-04-2017, 02:59 PM
(08-04-2017 02:43 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Hi Chuck Windar. I'm I'mFred. I'm an atheist. How are you?

I'm doing fine thanks. And yourself?
08-04-2017, 03:01 PM
(08-04-2017 02:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Welcome! My wife and her mother are Catholics and I was one. I haven't been in a church except for a marrying or a burying; in the last 15 years that's about 5 times.

OK Fireball, but how many have you burned down? Evil_monster
08-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Bonus points if anyone can figure out how I arrived at my name (pseudonym actually). It's not that difficult. Smile