New here, what's with the trolls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 01:16 AM
New here, what's with the trolls?
I'm new to the forum and had posted a serious question regarding raising a child in an atheist house hold. So far all the comments have been trolls. Is that common on this board or did I do something wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MidnightKat's post
25-08-2012, 01:47 AM
RE: New here, what's with the trolls?
Ha - oops. Probably just the regular forum residents... we have an odd tendency to diffuse a situation with troll-like behavior. And uh, there doesn't actually have to be a situation to diffuse - we're just retards a lot of the time. Wink Eventually, we get around to pulling the thread back to topic. Things can get a bit intense during Theist debates... otherwise, we do like to keep it light.

We are pretty relaxed here. It's an international site so we're pretty understanding of timezones as well as cultural translation. For some, it's the middle of the night, while it can be mid morning for others. Crazy, huh? Glad you're here and I hope you stick around and explore. Enjoy your time here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
25-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Geez, get a grip. People don't have to take everything seriously because you want them to.

Also, there were plenty of people who did give serious answers.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
25-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Don't worry, you will get good answers Smile
I find myself posting a lot of things I find serious and finding good answers. And of course sometimes a trolly comment but I am ok with that, I am a troll from time to time as well Big Grin give and take I guess lol

Anyway, welcome and I am trying to find that thread and answer there... if I find it that is

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't see it as trolling... I have always seen that as deliberately trying to piss people off, but that isn't what we do. We just have fun. There is quite a difference in my eyes.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
25-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I eat trolls for breakfast!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
25-08-2012, 06:17 AM
(25-08-2012 06:05 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I eat trolls for breakfast!

Part of a well balanced diet and proven to be better for you than the bible.
25-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Sorry your thread got derailed - I'll look for it but it would help if you put a link here...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-08-2012, 07:19 AM
MidknightKat - sorry, never saw the original thread, not sure what you received in response.

The question of raising freethinking children has popped up in several threads since I've been here. I've mentioned that I have 4 kids - all of whom were raised in church, with belief being central to their lives - Jesus loves me, this I know...blah, blah, blah...

Our kids were adolescents when we stopped believing - they never complained that we stopped going to church - in fact, our daughter said something to the effect - thank god you stopped believing in that shit, I've been an atheist for years...

Our youngest is almost 18, and has long considered himself an atheist. Three of the four are nonbelievers - the exception being our middle son, who still considers himself a Christian.

We made a point to respect their decisions with regard to faith, whatever that decision was. We rarely discuss religious issues as a group - but individually, if they bring up the topic, we have very interesting conversations and they like sharing their views, which I think allows them to explore and or reinforce their positions.

For younger children, I liked to explain there is a full spectrum of belief systems - and the absurdity of absolute truth with any of them based on random chance of geography and culture to which people are born...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
25-08-2012, 07:32 AM
The first few replies are jokes. They aren't trolling. But if you look there are plenty of serious replies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Magazine Subscriptions for our trolls DeepThought 2 172 04-09-2013 06:49 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Why do you feed the trolls? Bows and Arrows 32 1,045 17-06-2013 08:18 PM
Last Post: TheGulegon
  God trolls facebook. seventhmoon 12 749 31-01-2013 09:43 AM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  Feeding the Trolls Jackrabbit 4 483 21-02-2012 09:55 PM
Last Post: KVron