New here, what's with the trolls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2012, 07:35 AM
RE: New here, what's with the trolls?
I looked back at your thread...it's the usual suspects proving that they are really 14 year old boys. Not trolls at all, just the usual band of crazies that are around here that actually do get around to reading a lot of threads and giving some helpful insights on a lot of things.

You'll get used to it. When they do that it does make your reply count grow which may make people more interested in reading it.

Raising freethinking kids? I let mine go to any church with their friends they wanted to. I didn't take them. My girls even did the VBS a couple times. Let them question everything...let them experience things and make up their own minds. You really want 'freethinkers' who aren't indoctrinated to believe what anyone else believes, even yourself. Answer questions, provide ways to find answers to things you don't know, and allow them to use the brains/minds they have to come to their own conclusions.

Mine are grown, I have two atheists and one that attends church because of the people around her but is more agnostic I guess you would say.

Be honest with your kids about your beliefs (or lack thereof) but make sure they know that they have the right to make up their minds.

Different people believe different things...that's a good place to start when and if religious questions start.

You'll get used to us...we are sometimes serious, sometimes looney, often ADD, frequently quite supportive, and relatively intelligent...and you will see actual trolls run out of this place.

And, welcome.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
25-08-2012, 07:39 AM
(25-08-2012 01:16 AM)MidnightKat Wrote:  I'm new to the forum and had posted a serious question regarding raising a child in an atheist house hold. So far all the comments have been trolls. Is that common on this board or did I do something wrong?

It is a form of social release. Often times, dealing with theists (and an being an ex-theist) is stressful and aggravating. You should know that being an atheist is not exactly the most accepted belief in society. Hell, the whole "eating babies" thing is based off of a false myth about atheists.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
25-08-2012, 08:14 AM
(25-08-2012 07:39 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Hell, the whole "eating babies" thing is based off of a false myth about atheists.

Wait! What???

You mean we're not supposed to be eating babies??? There goes my diet!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
25-08-2012, 08:19 AM
(25-08-2012 08:14 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 07:39 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Hell, the whole "eating babies" thing is based off of a false myth about atheists.

Wait! What???

Calm down. We have to say that sort of thing for PR purposes.

Carry on, enjoy some baby.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-08-2012, 08:26 AM
(25-08-2012 01:16 AM)MidnightKat Wrote:  I'm new to the forum and had posted a serious question regarding raising a child in an atheist house hold. So far all the comments have been trolls. Is that common on this board or did I do something wrong?

Everyone else has already answered your question, but, included in my humour was a serious message. Death will be the trickiest part of raising a child without any god concepts. I'm a lifelong atheist. Not because my parents sought out advice about how to raise an atheist (and I'm not knocking you for doing that) but because they were apatheists... the subject just never came up.

Luckily for me, the first family death happened after the time-period when I would have needed false explanations (roughly at the same age when most kids stop believing in Santa).

Now. Is it OK to be funny again, ma'am!? <salute>
25-08-2012, 08:27 AM
(25-08-2012 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 08:14 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Wait! What???

Calm down. We have to say that sort of thing for PR purposes.

Carry on, enjoy some baby.Drinking Beverage

Whew! Scared me there for a moment! Thumbsup

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
25-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. Like I said , I'm new here and wasn't sure of the dynamic. =)
25-08-2012, 11:52 AM
New here, what's with the trolls?
(25-08-2012 07:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I looked back at your thread...it's the usual suspects proving that they are really 14 year old boys. Not trolls at all, just the usual band of crazies that are around here that actually do get around to reading a lot of threads and giving some helpful insights on a lot of things.

You'll get used to it. When they do that it does make your reply count grow which may make people more interested in reading it.

Raising freethinking kids? I let mine go to any church with their friends they wanted to. I didn't take them. My girls even did the VBS a couple times. Let them question everything...let them experience things and make up their own minds. You really want 'freethinkers' who aren't indoctrinated to believe what anyone else believes, even yourself. Answer questions, provide ways to find answers to things you don't know, and allow them to use the brains/minds they have to come to their own conclusions.

Mine are grown, I have two atheists and one that attends church because of the people around her but is more agnostic I guess you would say.

Be honest with your kids about your beliefs (or lack thereof) but make sure they know that they have the right to make up their minds.

Different people believe different things...that's a good place to start when and if religious questions start.

You'll get used to us...we are sometimes serious, sometimes looney, often ADD, frequently quite supportive, and relatively intelligent...and you will see actual trolls run out of this place.

And, welcome.

I take exception to this. My therapist and I have agreed I act like a 15 year old boy, not 14. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I was single dad doing the same thing. Don't worry about the trolls. I still cant understand why the Christians want to be on a atheist site. I have no interest in going on a Christian site or forum. Go Figure!

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
25-08-2012, 11:58 AM
(25-08-2012 11:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 07:35 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I looked back at your thread...it's the usual suspects proving that they are really 14 year old boys. Not trolls at all, just the usual band of crazies that are around here that actually do get around to reading a lot of threads and giving some helpful insights on a lot of things.

And, welcome.

I take exception to this. My therapist and I have agreed I act like a 15 year old boy, not 14. Dodgy
I am with Erxy on this one.

I have clearly shown that I am awesome, in a smart, and in an immature context that this sote promotes.

I have the mind pf a five year old, but the vocabulary of a fifty five year old.Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.