New innovation in computer translation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2011, 05:24 AM
New innovation in computer translation
Cracking the code of machine translation

This group seems to be doing interesting work on new ways to look at language comparison. A monolingual translation may end up pretty succesful after the kinks are weeded out,

I love actually learning languages, but it would be wonderful if those who don't could have a serious way of understanding. The many languages of the world to me are a beautiful diversity, and I would hate for everyone to eventually use the same language. Programs like this may help towards global communication without the need for an agreed upon language.

The computer translator has been an exciting move in linguistics for a while despite it's gross errors in translation. I can't wait till we find a system that is more accurate.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2011, 07:15 AM
RE: New innovation in computer translation
(21-06-2011 05:24 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  The computer translator has been an exciting move in linguistics for a while despite it's gross errors in translation. I can't wait till we find a system that is more accurate.

Google's translate service is making massive headway towards this goal. They have a system that allows to to translate and then correct the words.

Some people know the languages and use the service for convenience, and correct words that are mistranslated. the corrections process is intelligent with the alternatives it provides. Google gathers statistics on the sentence structures and corrections so the system can automatically learn and improves by itself.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
21-06-2011, 07:37 AM
It would e nice to have an accurate translation system, because I am unable to learn other languages. I have tried multiple times with German, French, Mandarin, Japanese, and now due to my child Spanish... thanks Dora.

Even better would be something like the Babel Fish.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I do like the peer reviews happening with google translator, but the translator is still wildly inaccurate. When I see the translations I can tell often enough how badly they translate even if they make good sentences when reading Japanese. It is always rather heavily inaccurate.

I've been trying Rosetta Stone, and it's wonderful for me as far as memory, if you can try one it might help Lucradis, that is if you are willing to try. I'm very good at linguistics though so it's hard for the two of us to comprehend the way each other views other languages.

I can see a strong increase in accuracy with a monolingual translation, it will just need a lot more work done to be useful. Either way I just felt like mentioning this as a good translator is something that can help everyone.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.