New-ish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 10:35 AM
New-ish
Hey guys I've been listening off and on and reading some posts here and there. I don't think I fully qualify as a lurker, more like a sudo-lurker if anything. I felt like getting more involved and posting a bit, we'll see where it goes.

To give you some background on me, I'm the quintessential information age guy, I grew up playing with computers since age 2 and I've never stopped. These days I'm working as a software engineer and I'm always pursuing new fields that could use computer science as a tool.

I turned to christianity at age 13 or 14 searching for some kind of higher truth. The last day I recall at the church I went to one of the pastor's was bawling and had confessed to the congregation that he felt like he would soon have to read a young person's eulogy. He had no reason to think this, none of the kids in the church were involved in gangs or engaged in extreme lifestyles(which was rare in Modesto CA). I left that church and decided to enroll in college with a major in philosophy. I finished 3-4 courses 101-104 (intro through advanced logic) but then decided to drop and pursue a job in tele-communications installing phone and data cabling.

Throughout this period of about 8-9 years I knew I wasn't a believer but I hadn't yet settled on the atheist title. After a while I decided to go back to school for something that felt more natural, computer science. It was at some point before I finished out the degree that I fully reasoned that with all of the arguments for and against and all of the contention over the subject, the entire concept was useless to a follower but instead built to control people minutely or in mass and also to separate them, thereby making it only a tool or system much like government(although both are flawed I'd say religion has been more efficient).

I hope to have many conversations with all of you here and perhaps find a bit more enlightenment, thanks for establishing this community.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: New-ish
Welcome!

Dive right in.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply